ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DS 160 and B1 Visa: Main ocupation and education (3rd country national)

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ricardofg
Newly Registered
Brazil

DS 160 and B1 Visa: Main ocupation and education (3rd country national)

Post by ricardofg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:34 am

Hello,

I am a Brazilian PhD student currently in the UK doing an academic visit/research internship at an UK university with funding from a Brazilian research agency (ie. I am not a student nor employee of the university in the UK, I am here under Tier 5 - GAE visa, if that matters).

I need the B1 visa to attend a conference in the US and, as I will have to apply in the UK as third country national, I have two questions regarding the DS 160 form:

1) What would be the best option to fill in Present Main Occupation:
a) PhD Student at my home university in Brazil (I have a letter as proof of enrolment).
b) Academic Visitor at my host university in the UK (I have letters with proof of visit, agreement and funding).

2) Regarding education, the form asks to fill in information from secondary level (high school). I have the details, however I did not bring my high school certificate to the UK, only my BSc diploma (with a sworn translation to English). Should I fill the high school information even if I cannot prove it to the interviewer?

Thank you in advance.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: DS 160 and B1 Visa: Main ocupation and education (3rd country national)

Post by max307 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm

ricardofg wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:34 am
Hello,

I am a Brazilian PhD student currently in the UK doing an academic visit/research internship at an UK university with funding from a Brazilian research agency (ie. I am not a student nor employee of the university in the UK, I am here under Tier 5 - GAE visa, if that matters).

I need the B1 visa to attend a conference in the US and, as I will have to apply in the UK as third country national, I have two questions regarding the DS 160 form:

a) PhD Student at my home university in Brazil (I have a letter as proof of enrolment).
b) Academic Visitor at my host university in the UK (I have letters with proof of visit, agreement and funding).

2) Regarding education, the form asks to fill in information from secondary level (high school). I have the details, however I did not bring my high school certificate to the UK, only my BSc diploma (with a sworn translation to English). Should I fill the high school information even if I cannot prove it to the interviewer?

Thank you in advance.
Is the Tier 5 - GAE visa a resident visa in the UK?

Most embassies will require that the applicant is a legal resident in the country they are applying from so I would check that beforehand just to avoid any issues.

I would say to go for option b) in the DS-160 form and if asked in the interview then explain option a) as well.

It is not required to bring your high school diploma to the interview, I think it's obvious you attended high school since you are currently doing a PhD. If they require further docs from you that you don't have on your possession at the interview you will be given some time to submit them by post.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.