ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ESTA Question Help Please

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ducky11

ESTA Question Help Please

Post by Ducky11 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi All,

I am currently a British passport holder (British citizen) but had an Indian passport up until September last year. I am visiting the US in a couple of weeks & need to sort out my ESTA.

After adding all my British passport information, the next question is "Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country?" They also ask for the passport number, issuing country & the expiration year. My questions are -
  • Although the expiration year stated on my old Indian passport is 2026, it was revoked / surrendered last year when I got my British passport. Do I need to enter the passport details considering that it is no longer valid? If yes then should the expiration year be what is stated on my Indian passport (2026) or should it be the year that it was revoked (2016)?
  • Also, I have 3 Indian passports prior the the one stated above. Do I need to provide the details for those as well?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Ducky

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ESTA Question Help Please

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 am

You need to list your previous most recent Indian passport.

They want to make sure you have not breached their immigration rules using a different nationality.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ducky11

Post by Ducky11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks for your reply. So I will avoid stating any information of my Indian passports prior to the most recent one. should the expiration year be what is stated in the passport (2026) or should it be the year that it was revoked (2016)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:49 am

Not sure, you could add the details if there is an 'additional information' section on the form.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ducky11

Post by Ducky11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:18 am

Thank you!

Ducky11

Post by Ducky11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:33 pm

One more question (sorry forgot to ask this earlier) -

They ask "Are you now, a citizen or national of any other country?" I had obtained OCI (overseas citizen of India) after I got my British passport. Does this qualify as a "yes" for the above question?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:48 pm

I don't know. Wait for others to respond.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

cfdman

Post by cfdman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:28 pm

OCI does not confer citizenship. So the answer to your question is No. You are not currently a citizen of India.

Ducky11

Post by Ducky11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:36 pm

OK thank you. I will leave out the OCI bit.

shrutikashah
Newly Registered

Post by shrutikashah » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Hello,

I'm having the same problem right now - does anyone know the definite answer to this? Do I just put my most recent (expired) Indian passport details or do I need to put the others as well (I've had two other Indian ones in my lifetime since birth).

Thanks,
Shrutika

Ducky11

Post by Ducky11 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:39 pm

I don't recall the definitive answer to this question or the first questions that I asked in this thread. I remember calling the US customs & border protection helpline (see link below) & getting definite answers to all my questions there. It might be a few minutes before they answer the phone, but it's definitely worth it for the peace of mind as they are helpful & they will give you a definite answer.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... WTJxSm4%3D