ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form 1-130 Question about Section - Other Information

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bebyrd
Newly Registered
Canada

Canadian Citizen living within Canada married to USA Citizen living in the USA - forms to fill

Post by bebyrd » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:59 am

Hello,

We really appreciate this forum and are grateful for being able to receive answers to our questions.

We were recently married and are beginning the steps for wife (Canadian citizen living in Canada) to migrate to husband (USA citizen living in USA)

It seems that migrating to the US is quite complex and we want to ensure that we are filling out the correct forms.

In reading through forums we understand that we need to fill:

1) Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

2) Form I-485 for Consular Processing (CP)

Is this correct for a Canadian migrating to the USA? Do we need to fill out both forms in our circumstance?

Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards,
Brice & Elisheva

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Canadian Citizen living within Canada married to USA Citizen living in the USA - forms to fill

Post by Ticktack » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:57 am

bebyrd wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:59 am
Hello,

We really appreciate this forum and are grateful for being able to receive answers to our questions.

We were recently married and are beginning the steps for wife (Canadian citizen living in Canada) to migrate to husband (USA citizen living in USA)

It seems that migrating to the US is quite complex and we want to ensure that we are filling out the correct forms.

In reading through forums we understand that we need to fill:

1) Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

2) Form I-485 for Consular Processing (CP)

Is this correct for a Canadian migrating to the USA? Do we need to fill out both forms in our circumstance?

Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards,
Brice & Elisheva
Canadians have a special relationship with the USA. Pretty much the only country that doesn't need pre-authorization to "visit" the US. Canadians can spend up to 6 months on entry into the US. But I guess you already know this.

Migrating to the US however, is a different kettle of fish. There seems to be a level playing ground for all countries when it comes to this.

Immigrant visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1) - An immigrant Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130 is required. There's no way around this.

Once the petition is applied for, a case number is assigned. Regardless of Nationality, the process is slow and one has to exercise a lot of patience. Medicals, would be required at a point, and visa issued with a do not open envelope. Only then can you move to the USA to start your new life.

You might what to have a look at this https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... pouse.html.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

bebyrd
Newly Registered
Canada

Form 1-130 Question about Section - Other Information

Post by bebyrd » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:37 am

Hi there,

We are filling out the I-130 form.

Wife = in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Canadian Citizen

Husband = in Oregon, USA. USA Citizen

In Section - Other Information, Subsection adjustment of status:

"At which US embassy or consulate location will the beneficiary apply for an immigrant visa?"

Do we put Vancouver, BC, Canada?

There is a US Consulate General in Vancouver, BC, Canada however doesn't the application go to Montreal, Quebec? Just needed to clarify this as we are unsure what to enter here.

Thank you!!

vinny

Re: Form 1-130 Question about Section - Other Information

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:53 am

Vancouver may be most convenient for her?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.