ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting ESTA after 221(g) refusal, but visa was granted after interview

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

perkerand
Newly Registered

Getting ESTA after 221(g) refusal, but visa was granted after interview

Post by perkerand » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:00 am

Hi everyone,

Finally, I got my British passport. I am planning to travel to US, but I am confused whether I should apply for B1/B2 visa OR ESTA.

Few years ago (when I wasn't UK citizen), I applied for a US visa at the U.S. Embassy in London via the Interview Waiver program.
My application was refused under Section 221(g) because I wasn't eligible to use the Interview Waiver, and I had to attend an interview at the Embassy. After that interview, my visa was approved. However, now I have lifelong record about US visa denial which I have to mention during ESTA application.

My concern is that if I apply for ESTA and it is rejected, I will get another rejection record.

Questions:
1) Could someone share an experience of applying for ESTA with previous visa refusal?
2) In case of doubt in ESTA application success, should I apply for B1/B2 visa straightway?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Getting ESTA after 221(g) refusal, but visa was granted after interview

Post by Ticktack » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:25 pm

perkerand wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:00 am
Hi everyone,

Finally, I got my British passport. I am planning to travel to US, but I am confused whether I should apply for B1/B2 visa OR ESTA.

Few years ago (when I wasn't UK citizen), I applied for a US visa at the U.S. Embassy in London via the Interview Waiver program.
My application was refused under Section 221(g) because I wasn't eligible to use the Interview Waiver, and I had to attend an interview at the Embassy. After that interview, my visa was approved. However, now I have lifelong record about US visa denial which I have to mention during ESTA application.

My concern is that if I apply for ESTA and it is rejected, I will get another rejection record.

Questions:
1) Could someone share an experience of applying for ESTA with previous visa refusal?
2) In case of doubt in ESTA application success, should I apply for B1/B2 visa straightway?
Apply for ESTA as normal using British Passport. The form would ask you if you've ever been denied a US visa before blah blah, just say yes. Then give the date of event. Unfortunately, the form doesn't give you the time of day to explain that you were eventually granted a US visa.

Just go with the flow. It's not a problem.

ESTA approval would be issued in 48 hours. With the wordings "Welcome to the United States". :D
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!