ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

J1-Exchange Visitor, Research Scholar does not cover whole programme period

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ts531
Bangladesh

J1-Exchange Visitor, Research Scholar does not cover whole programme period

Post by ts531 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:23 pm

Hi There,

I have recently applied for a J1-Exchange Visitor, Research Scholar Non-Immigrant visa. The visa has been issued from the date I have applied for the next 11 months. However, the programme does not start until September and the visa tenure does not cover the whole period stipulated in the original DS-2019 Form. My employer says: you are allowed to remain in the U.S. with an expired J-1 Visa stamp. I wonder if this is legal practice to stay with an expired visa and continue to work. Should I request for another J-1 visa for the remaining period now or should I apply for a tourist visa for the remaining period in case I have to travel outside USA? I have an ILR in the UK and naturalisation application under process.

Many thanks for the advise.

ts531
Bangladesh

Re: J1-Exchange Visitor, Research Scholar does not cover whole programme period

Post by ts531 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:44 am

After contacting the US Consulate in London regarding the above, they regretted the mistake for the visa date errors. They have arranged to resend them my passport without new visa fees and courier fees for the visa correction. They have a contact form on their website for general inquiries which I had used. They also have a contact form for 'visa error', but I would use caution to use that because if they think if something is not their mistake, they may penalise the application in some other way. So, it maybe better to contact them using the 'general inquiries' first.