ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA B1/B2 Visa status after Citizenship Change from India to British

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vikshi1

USA B1/B2 Visa status after Citizenship Change from India to British

Post by vikshi1 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:30 am

Hi Experts,

Need some help on understanding my USA travel eligibility now.

I had Indian Citizenship till Dec 2020 during which travelled to USA on B1/B2 visa which is stamped on Indian passport which is now cancelled since India doesn't allow dual nationality.

Since I now have British Passport, I have couple of questions since I want to travel to USA for holiday
  • Can I use the USA B1/B2 visa which is on Indian Passport although the passport is cancelled but the visa still has expiry of 8 more years? or is the visa gone along with the passport?

Or do I still need to apply for US ESTA before travelling?
Please do clarify and share if any links to relevant sections or pages in USA GOV website or articles, backing this

Thanks

Meganthompson8
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: USA B1/B2 Visa status after Citizenship Change from India to British

Post by Meganthompson8 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:02 pm

The citizenship indicated on the visa must match the citizenship in the new passport. Visas cannot be transferred from one passport to another. If the applicant wishes to have a visa in a new passport,he/she must reapply for a visa. When re-applying for a visa, the applicant must again pay all applicable fees and comply with all relevant requirements and procedures, as with a normal visa application.