ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA Travel with ILR- Previous Denial

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tayloragreen
Newly Registered
United States of America

USA Travel with ILR- Previous Denial

Post by tayloragreen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 am

Hello,

My fiance has been previously refused a USA Travel Visa twice. Once in 2013, and again in 2014.

Under advisement, he stopped trying to visit me and has not re-applied since.

He was recently granted ILR.

What should his next step be? To wait a year for naturalization before trying to visit the US, or is it better for his application now that he has ILR? His ties are also much stronger to the UK than when he previously applied.

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: USA Travel with ILR- Previous Denial

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 am

Why was he previously refused??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tayloragreen
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by tayloragreen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 am

Section 214(b) saying that he did not demonstrate strong enough ties to his home country which would compel him to leave the U.S. following your temporary stay.

This is why I think now, after waiting for 5 years, holding ILR, and with stronger ties, his chances are better.

Justlorde
India

Post by Justlorde » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 pm

tayloragreen wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 am
Section 214(b) saying that he did not demonstrate strong enough ties to his home country which would compel him to leave the U.S. following your temporary stay.

This is why I think now, after waiting for 5 years, holding ILR, and with stronger ties, his chances are better.
He could try again, not much can be done around 214(b), perhaps if his employer is well known, supporting letter from them would help (was denied twice US visa, supporting letter from my employer (MNC, based in San Francisco) helped and was approved 10 years B1/B2 visa. Have visited pretty much every year to US on holiday/work, get asked about visa denial reasons, but doesn't create an issue to enter.

Alternatively they can wait till he has UK passport and go after using ETSA?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Justlorde wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 pm
tayloragreen wrote:

He could try again, not much can be done around 214(b), perhaps if his employer is well known, supporting letter from them would help (was denied twice US visa, supporting letter from my employer (MNC, based in San Francisco) helped and was approved 10 years B1/B2 visa. Have visited pretty much every year to US on holiday/work, get asked about visa denial reasons, but doesn't create an issue to enter.

With refusals in the past, he would likely not get an ESTA and would still have to apply to the embassy. The US visa website is quite clear on this point.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ogram.html
I was denied a visa under section 214(b). May I use the VWP?
A recent visa refusal for any reason could result in denial of ESTA authorization, additional review at the port of entry, or denial of admission to the United States. If you are uncertain if you qualify for VWP travel, you may apply for a visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Justlorde
India

Post by Justlorde » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 pm
Justlorde wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 pm
tayloragreen wrote:

With refusals in the past, he would likely not get an ESTA and would still have to apply to the embassy. The US visa website is quite clear on this point.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ogram.html
I was denied a visa under section 214(b). May I use the VWP?
A recent visa refusal for any reason could result in denial of ESTA authorization, additional review at the port of entry, or denial of admission to the United States. If you are uncertain if you qualify for VWP travel, you may apply for a visa.
Ah good to know, Thanks CR001! (Good as I didn't wait for it :D )

tayloragreen
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by tayloragreen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Thank you both for the insight!

Because of his previous denials, obtaining British Citizenship would still not allow him to be waived on the ETSA. So, it would be best to go ahead and apply now with the ILR, as it would be the same either now or then.

Thanks again! Fingers crossed that third time is the charm.