ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA Visa on cancelled passport due to acquiring foreign nationality

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sreeha
Newly Registered

USA Visa on cancelled passport due to acquiring foreign nationality

Post by sreeha » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:20 pm

Hello!!

I have a L1A visa issued by US Embassy in London on my Indian passport and entered US after naturalization in UK. Now I've acquired UK passport and my Indian passport is surrendered with stamp 'cancelled due to acquiring foreign nationality'.

Can someone advice if I need to apply for L1A visa again in UK or allowed to travel & enter US with L1A visa on cancelled passport but new passport is from a different country?

Thanks in advance.

meself2
Ireland

Re: USA Visa on cancelled passport due to acquiring foreign nationality

Post by meself2 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:29 pm

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visa-faqs/
If your passport containing the U.S. visa was not returned to you when you received your new passport, or if you will be traveling with a passport of a different nationality than the passport in which your visa was issued, then you will be required to apply for a new visa (unless you qualify to travel under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program and obtain an approved ESTA).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:41 am

sreeha wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:20 pm
Hello!!

I have a L1A visa issued by US Embassy in London on my Indian passport and entered US after naturalization in UK. Now I've acquired UK passport and my Indian passport is surrendered with stamp 'cancelled due to acquiring foreign nationality'.

Can someone advice if I need to apply for L1A visa again in UK or allowed to travel & enter US with L1A visa on cancelled passport but new passport is from a different country?

Thanks in advance.
You need to visit the US embassy and explain your new nationality and travel situation. Most probably get a new visa vignette endorsed on your UK passport.

You can enter the US on a VW with a UK passport, but that only allows you to stay in the US for 3 months max, and you can't work.

The L-1A visa allows you to reside in the US and work.

Normally, one is able to use a visa on an expired passport to travel, provided the individual attaches it to a valid passport.

However, in your case, you're no longer Indian citizen (with no Indian passport). That throws a spanner in the works.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

sreeha
Newly Registered

Post by sreeha » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:34 pm

Thank you for your inputs..