ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling between schengen countries with single-entry

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rk_2011

Travelling between schengen countries with single-entry

Post by rk_2011 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:46 pm

I am planning to get a single entry schengen visa. My travel plan:

Fly from UK to Nice in France, stay for x nights. Fly Nice to Bern, stay for y nights and fly back to Nice from Bern. Fly from Nice back to UK the next day

My concerns:
1. As it's a single entry visa, am I allowed to fly Nice to Bern and then back again to Nice?

2. If yes to above, then what doesn't make sense is that at Nice airport immigration. how do they distinguish someone from entering schengen zone as opposed to someone traveling within schengen zone. Do you have to retain boarding pass?

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Travelling between schengen countries with single-entry

Post by ca.funke » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:56 pm

1. yes
2. it´s differentiated, just as international airports differentiate between "domestic" and "international" arrival. Intra-Schengen is always treated as "domestic", you will simply not see any immigration officers, not in Bern, not in Nice. (Well, not in Nice when arriving from Bern (="domestic"), when you arrive from the UK you´ll arrive to the non-domestic international area.)

Practically it´s handled differently in different airports, the results are the same: You don´t even have to hold on to your boarding pass. Just go, no problems to be expected!

Enjoy your trip!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:24 pm

France and Switzerland are all part of Schengen. You are making a single entry into Schengen, which is exactly what you visa is structured for.

rk_2011

Post by rk_2011 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Great many thanks for your replies. Now I can plan with peace of mind!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:55 pm

rk_2011 wrote:Great many thanks for your replies. Now I can plan with peace of mind!
I just wish I could come with you. I find Switzerland in the fall quite lovely.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 am

please note that sometime checkin agents look in your visa if you are opt of the schengen/eu country. its non of their business but they are more strict now. so they might find that you have only single entry visa.

other thing which happend to me flight from amsterdam to budapest when i was coming to budapest their were immigration officers checking for the visa near the boarding gate. it might be rare.

the best way is travel by car where there are no border checkes in schengen area

rk_2011

Post by rk_2011 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:35 am

So what happened after they saw you had only single-entry?

moroni

Post by moroni » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 am

What might be the problem if they see you have a single entry visa?
I imagine you just can't entry twice to the Schengen area, but if you're already inside, with a valid visa, shouldn't be any problem within domestic flights.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, I imagine they can randomly check if you're traveling legally with a valid visa, but that cannot be a routine.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:39 am

rk_2011 wrote:So what happened after they saw you had only single-entry?
if your question is for me then I never had single entery visa. always multiple.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Question: What happens if aliens abduct you and take you to their orbiting space ship and then return you to Schengen? Is your single entry visa still valid?

Answer: Have another beer!

Real answer: The person has entered Schengen with a valid single entry visa. Person has never left Schengen. If there is a border or police control anywhere within the Schengen region, the fact remains that they entered on a valid visa and it remains a valid visa. Even if there are 20 controls, they still have not left Schengen and so they are still on their initial entry.

Punjab, what part of this is not clear? It seems very straight forward.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Travelling between schengen countries with single-entry

Post by ca.funke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Dear rk_2011,

don´t listen to any of above crap, it is just crap.

You can and may legally do your trip as planned, and you will not encounter any problems.

I have no idea why ppl try to confuse you, and the most sensible answer of the last ones was Directives "alien"-theory.

Have a beer, enjoy your trip, forget about the rest.

Rgds,
Christian

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:40 pm

schengen visa is not for whole schengen area if its a single entery one. It's only for one country which issues it. You can go to other places with your luck but if caught by police or io,s your future applications might be bad.
your visa will be stamped on first port of entery.

hopefully you wont have problem but to take risk for something you can have it simply

i was recently in Hungary I went to zemplen area which is a border area between hungary and slovakia. . there were some police people in the old border just checking cars. they didn't stop me for anything but they were looking for doggy looking cars.

moroni

Post by moroni » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Punjab wrote:schengen visa is not for whole schengen area if its a single entery one. It's only for one country which issues it. You can go to other places with your luck but if caught by police or io,s your future applications might be bad.

Not sure if trolling or what.

Single-entry visa means only one entry to the Schengen area is allowed.
Does NOT mean "only one control visa" or "only one country visa" or "only one flight visa".

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Punjab wrote:schengen visa is not for whole schengen area if its a single entery one. It's only for one country which issues it. You can go to other places with your luck but if caught by police or io,s your future applications might be bad.
This is 100% wrong. Every Schengen visa is good for the entire Schengen area. You should visit the country that issued your Schengen visa, but you do not need to go there first or only go there.
Punjab wrote:hopefully you wont have problem but to take risk for something you can have it simply
There is no risk involved. They are strictly staying within the requirement that they can only enter Schengen ONCE.
Punjab wrote:i was recently in Hungary I went to zemplen area which is a border area between hungary and slovakia. . there were some police people in the old border just checking cars. they didn't stop me for anything but they were looking for doggy looking cars.
Good to know but not relevant to this discussion.
Last edited by Directive/2004/38/EC on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:49 pm

hopefully you wont have problem but to take risk for something you can have it simply

i was recently in Hungary I went to zemplen area which is a border area between hungary and slovakia. . there were some police people in the old border just checking cars. they didn't stop me for anything but they were looking for doggy looking cars.
EErrgghh - this is simply 100% wrong.

With several sort-a-senior members telling you straight out that you are wrong, you might as well believe it. After all this is not a "belief" thing, but we are talking about plain facts here. As such it would be nice if you would stop confusing the OP with your _wrong_ pieces of information.

I will only comment on it further, if needs absolutely be.

Please, Punjab, I usually knew you for sensible entries, but this is pushing it!
Last edited by ca.funke on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:19 pm

guys how am I wrong I don't understand

"schengen visa is not for whole schengen area if its a single entery one. It's only for one country which issues it. You can go to other places with your luck but if caught by police or io,s your future applications might be bad.
your visa will be stamped on first port of entery"

I have had French multiple visa. I went to germany in my bus. My first passport check dover. the IO stamped my visa with a car signed stamp. ( at that time I have only FMRS)

we went through france> belgium btu when we reached German border our bus was stopped by police who were checking every one's id and passport. he asked me two questions where my visa was issued and where i am going to. being multiple he didn't ask any questions.

I had been to various schengen zones in past years i have never been stopped for visa check on any schengen border m'way or by rural roads but I have had seen police checking papers of some people even if there are bno borders specially in belgium and holland borders.

now if you have a single entery visa how can you LEGALLY travel to other schengen country. if its issued for france then its only for france. what if the guy will be caught by police and be investigate.

A single entry visa allows the traveller to enter a country once during the validity of the visa issued. When the traveller has left the country the visa is no longer valid and you would be required to re-apply for another visa if you wish to visit that country again.

so please don't say nothing will happen if the person travel to other schengen country as it wll all his luck...

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:25 pm

From the German Embassy in London:
(1) As of 26 March 1995, Foreigners travelling to one of the aforementioned [Schengen] countries may receive a visa for a short stay of 1 to 90 days (maximum), which is valid for all these countries.

(2) There is no legal right to a visa.

(3) The visa application has to be presented to the Embassy of the country of main destination (determined by the purpose of the journey and the length of stay). If your main destination cannot be ascertained, the Schengen state through which you first enter the territory of these countries is responsible for granting the visa.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Punjab wrote:guys how am I wrong I don't understand

"schengen visa is not for whole schengen area if its a single entery one. It's only for one country which issues it. You can go to other places with your luck but if caught by police or io,s your future applications might be bad.
your visa will be stamped on first port of entery"

I have had French multiple visa. I went to germany in my bus. My first passport check dover. the IO stamped my visa with a car signed stamp. ( at that time I have only FMRS)

we went through france> belgium btu when we reached German border our bus was stopped by police who were checking every one's id and passport. he asked me two questions where my visa was issued and where i am going to. being multiple he didn't ask any questions.

I had been to various schengen zones in past years i have never been stopped for visa check on any schengen border m'way or by rural roads but I have had seen police checking papers of some people even if there are bno borders specially in belgium and holland borders.

now if you have a single entery visa how can you LEGALLY travel to other schengen country. if its issued for france then its only for france. what if the guy will be caught by police and be investigate.

A single entry visa allows the traveller to enter a country once during the validity of the visa issued. When the traveller has left the country the visa is no longer valid and you would be required to re-apply for another visa if you wish to visit that country again.

so please don't say nothing will happen if the person travel to other schengen country as it wll all his luck...
Punjab - I am very sorry.

You write nonsense, you confuse the OP with more nonsense, and all of this in spite of warnings from my side and other very senior members telling you that what you write is incorrect, and in spite of the fact that another moderator already put you on -thin ice-.

I will block your account now, and establish with the team weather this will be permanent.

I shall post again if this ban is approved as permanent by the team.

Sorry again, but I cannot accept that you keep writing _wrong_, _confusing_ and _unsubstantiated_ information, in spite of several warnings, and in spite of yourself being on -thin ice-.

Rgds,
Christian

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote: This is 100% wrong. Every Schengen visa is good for the entire Schengen area.
This is the one statement that I disagree with. It is not a given that every Schengen visa is good for the entirety of the area. Member states may decide to apply exemptions as was the case for my first French Schengen visa which bore the details: "Etats Schengen - EST"; translated to mean "(all) Schengen States minus Estonia". In this instance I do not know why they chose to exclude this member state.

Therefore, when issued a Schengen visa it is important to check:
  • Its duration and how long one can stay for within this period.
    How many entries - single, double or multiple.
    Whether there are any member state exclusions.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Plum70 wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote: This is 100% wrong. Every Schengen visa is good for the entire Schengen area.
This is the one statement that I disagree with. It is not a given that every Schengen visa is good for the entirety of the area. Member states may decide to apply exemptions as was the case for my first French Schengen visa which bore the details: "Etats Schengen - EST"; translated to mean "(all) Schengen States minus Estonia". In this instance I do not know why they chose to exclude this member state.

That´s correct. One of the lines in the visa mentions what it´s valid for. In most cases it sais "Schengen States" (in the issuing states respective language), and sometimes it sais something as per Plum70´s hint.

This is so rare that it´s not really worth mentioning, however in the rare cases where it happens it can be a pitfall.

Regards,
Christian

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Plum70 wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:This is 100% wrong. Every Schengen visa is good for the entire Schengen area.

Mia culpa! I actually thought of that when I wrote it, but thought it would be a distraction.

Improved version: A Schengen visa is normally good for the entire Schengen area. In rare situations, the validity may be marked on the visa to a more limited area

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote: Mia culpa! I actually thought of that when I wrote it, but thought it would be a distraction.

Improved version: A Schengen visa is normally good for the entire Schengen area. In rare situations, the validity may be marked on the visa to a more limited area
From the searches i've done it doesn't seem that rare to limit entry to certain member states. This might be unusual for FMs of EU/EEA/EFTA nationals and perhaps uncommon, but worth highlighting.

I imagine that some don't bother looking at the top end of their Schengen visas but show more concern that it was approved, its validity, number of entries and perhaps any special remarks.

Btw, it's 'Mea Culpa'.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Mea Culpa 4 my Mia culpa 8)

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:01 pm

ca.funke wrote:Punjab - I am very sorry.

You write nonsense, you confuse the OP with more nonsense, and all of this in spite of warnings from my side and other very senior members telling you that what you write is incorrect, and in spite of the fact that another moderator already put you on -thin ice-.

I will block your account now, and establish with the team weather this will be permanent.

I shall post again if this ban is approved as permanent by the team.

Sorry again, but I cannot accept that you keep writing _wrong_, _confusing_ and _unsubstantiated_ information, in spite of several warnings, and in spite of yourself being on -thin ice-.

Rgds,
Christian
Result of discussion with the team was: Ban is permanent. If you hadn´t been on -thin ice- you would be now, but you were already on -thin ice-, so that´s it.

Regards,
Christian