ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Man travelling to Lanzarote SPAIN, with non EU Wife

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RedKite2010
Newly Registered

British Man travelling to Lanzarote SPAIN, with non EU Wife

Post by RedKite2010 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 pm

HI All,

I am Due to travel to Lanzarote, SPAIN in a few weeks after our wedding to seek work or start a business.

I am British! Wife is Honduran.

How do I exercise my treaty right and bring my wife into Spain with me so that we can live/work legally ?

Thanks
K

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: British Man travelling to Lanzarote SPAIN, with non EU W

Post by chaoclive » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Where are you living now? Go to the Spanish Embassy where you live and request a visa for the family member of an EEA citizen.

When I had my civil partner apply for this visa they said that they needed a notarized copy of our civil partnership certificate. I refused and they still gave him the visa anyway.

You had better contact the Spanish Embassy where she will apply in the first instance. They will be able to advise.

Re: You: You will just have to move there and open up your business. You can do this before she gets there or you can travel together (if you are currently living together this would be the best option). You will have to consult the Spanish self-employment laws/rules by yourself. I don't know anything about that, sorry!

RedKite2010
Newly Registered

Post by RedKite2010 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks ChaoClive.

Currently BOTH in UK.
Travelling to her home country in 2 weeks to get married.
Returning to UK immediately after marriage.

Most likely they will kick up a fuss and refuse her entry back into UK as a visitor.
But if they will allow her to stay as a visitor, then I can go the the Spanish Embassy and get a few things sorted like my NIE & Self Employment Status.

If she gets refused we will just get the laptop out and book a flight to Lanzarote and go straight there.

By the way she is a NON VISA NATIONAL so I don't think we need to apply for a Visa for her from the Spanish Embassy.?

I just want to know how I get her an N.I.E & N.I.F number so she can work and stay legally.

We will have an Apostilled Marriage Certificate with us and obviously both our passports.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:05 am

If you were wanting to get back into the UK, she could just enter as a normal tourist. As you're British, she doesn't have any rights to entry under the EEA regulations. Of course, you could consider applying under the UK Immigration Rules but I guess you're trying to take the EEA route, hence the note about going to Spain.

Of course, you don't need to get her a visa from the Spanish Embassy if she is a non-visa national.

Unfortunately, I don't know about the NIE/NIF, but you could have a look at the following:
http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerja/visas-and-permits/
http://www.british-filipino.co.uk/index ... pain.8056/
http://www.costasite.com/nie.html

I know that becoming self-employed in Spain can be a complex process. You might want to think about consulting an gestor/gestoria (if you think it's useful).

Your_Europe_Citizens
Newly Registered

Post by Your_Europe_Citizens » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:01 pm

You can find more information about residence formalities for non EU family members in another EU country on the following url: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:14 pm

Your_Europe_Citizens wrote:You can find more information about residence formalities for non EU family members in another EU country on the following url: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm
Are you part of the YourEurope org?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:25 pm

RedKite2010 wrote:HI All,

I am Due to travel to Lanzarote, SPAIN in a few weeks after our wedding to seek work or start a business.

I am British! Wife is Honduran.

How do I exercise my treaty right and bring my wife into Spain with me so that we can live/work legally ?

Thanks
K
Enter Spain (together), after three months you need to be a worker, self-sufficient person or student. Apply for your residence certificate, apply for her residence card within three months of entry.

RedKite2010
Newly Registered

Post by RedKite2010 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks Guys, I had not seen these replies until just now.

I just started a new topic about when we arrive at Spanish Boarder.

I have learned a few more things about NIE & Residency since my original post.

I will try to explain here:

1) NIE & NIF - we need to make an appointment at the Spanish Embassy in London.
To do this we had to download and fill out an appointment form. Apparently we should get a reply within 24 Hours.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados ... ments.aspx

We go to the Spanish Embassy in the UK and apply for our NIE numbers before we go as its cheaper to do it that way. Or once in Spain we can apply for NIE at the Nearest Local Police Station to where we will be living.

2) To apply for my wife's residency we need to have a recent marriage certificate issued and Apostilled within 3 months of our Spanish Residency Application.

Also since we where married outside of the EU, we need to have a "certificate of recognition of a foreign marriage" which we need to obtain from the nearest British Consulate to where we will be living. We have to make the appointment at the consulate and then travel there. I believe we have to make a sworn testimony or something.

Once we have the "certificate of recognition" we can apply for our residency. Obviously we need our passports, NIE & Marriage and probably birth certificate as well.

RedKite2010
Newly Registered

Post by RedKite2010 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:29 pm

kind of answering my own question here but still not sure what to do once at the Spanish Boarder

Below is the Directive In Spanish along with an English Translation.

Real Decreto 240/2007
Spanish: http://sid.usal.es/idocs/F3/LYN10709/3-10709.pdf
English: http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk/Arti ... 0.2007.htm

Your Europe
Newly Registered

Post by Your Europe » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:57 am

dalebutt wrote: Are you part of the YourEurope org?
Sorry for the late reply - yes, I am associated with this website, which is about informing EU citizens and residents about their rights in the Internal Market.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 am

Your Europe wrote:
dalebutt wrote: Are you part of the YourEurope org?
Sorry for the late reply - yes, I am associated with this website, which is about informing EU citizens and residents about their rights in the Internal Market.
That sounds good. We're privileged to have you with us :)

Michael Allen
Newly Registered

Post by Michael Allen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:40 am

Hi chaoclive,

Apologies for posting this here, but I couldn't find a way to DM you.

Rab Guy, who I believe is another member of this forum, recommended that I contact you because he had seen some of your posts about the immigration problems you have been having with your partner.

I'm a freelance journalist and am writing an article for PinkNews about gay couples who have been separated by the £18,600 salary requirement for sponsoring a foreign spouse.

I'd really like to hear your story. Could you perhaps email me at michaelkevinallen@gmail.com if you would be happy to talk?

Thanks very much and best regards,

Michael Allen

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Michael Allen wrote:Hi chaoclive,

Apologies for posting this here, but I couldn't find a way to DM you.

Rab Guy, who I believe is another member of this forum, recommended that I contact you because he had seen some of your posts about the immigration problems you have been having with your partner.

I'm a freelance journalist and am writing an article for PinkNews about gay couples who have been separated by the £18,600 salary requirement for sponsoring a foreign spouse.

I'd really like to hear your story. Could you perhaps email me at michaelkevinallen@gmail.com if you would be happy to talk?

Thanks very much and best regards,

Michael Allen
Sent you an email. You might have already been on there, but if not, you should look at: http://uklgig.org.uk as well. There are loads of people who have issues.