ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Holder Applying for Schengen Visa: A few Questions.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wassap

ILR Holder Applying for Schengen Visa: A few Questions.

Post by wassap » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:31 am

Hi There,

Im the wife of a British national, I hold ILR, but im a pakistani national.

I recently applied for a Schengen Visa to France, and it was refused, they claim I did not provide proof of sufficent funds, even though we supplied them with a the last 3 months joint bank statements showing £350, which i thought would be sufficient for a 3 day stay in France, all the other paperwork was spot on apart from the marriage certificate, which whilst registered in pakistan fine, wasnt stamped by the pakistani embassy, but this was what we used to to apply for the UK spouse visa, so I assumed it would be ok.But in any case, that wasnt cited as a reson for refusal. I applied through TLS, appeal isnt an option as we travel at the end of August.

Anyway, now our plans have changed and we are going to belgium for 5 days, via dover/ calais, and then we will goto to paris for 3 days and return back to UK via Calais/dover. I have all my ferry tickets booked, and the hotels sorted aswell. This time I will apply through Belgium, as i can apply from Manchester, and its my main destination. But I have a couple of questions, the Belgium guidlines state the following : (from this page here https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/Appl ... poses.aspx)
f) information making it possible to assess your intention to leave the territory of the SCHENGEN States before the expiry of the visa or, in other words, information indicating that you retain the centre of your interests in your country of origin or habitual residence (e.g. any proof that you have roots in your country of origin or habitual residence: attestation of employment, professional situation, receipt of regular income, ownership of real estate, family situation, etc.);
So I was going to put a short letter stating, that im married to UK national, who is working (well paid career etc), i have children, a house and my husbands family here, just wondering if this will be sufficient, along proof of the above ie letter from husbands employer/wage slips, marriage certificates,childrens birth certificates etc?

Also to show proof of funds, can i just present cash in euros when i go to submit the application, or should i get some travellers cheques, the accomodation and travel fares are already paid for, so thats not an issue, I assume i need to show funds for both the Belgium and France trips?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Submitted on 10/05/2011
Visa application is under process at British High Commission 18/05/2011
No interviews or Employer calls or emails
Ready for collection on 22/07/11

ILR granted 19/9/2013
Awaiting BRP!

Result?????

Donutz

Re: ILR Holder Applying for Schengen Visa: A few Questions.

Post by Donutz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:56 am

Quick reply (Have no time to go into detail right now, sorry): as a spouse joining a EU citizen you are entiled to a free visa and with no financial requirements. The French should give this info too (visa for EU/EAA family member).

See this topic right below this one with various explinations: http://www.immigrationboards.com/europe ... 67325.html

wassap

Post by wassap » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:15 am

I guess for this to apply, you need to apply direct at the embassy?
Submitted on 10/05/2011
Visa application is under process at British High Commission 18/05/2011
No interviews or Employer calls or emails
Ready for collection on 22/07/11

ILR granted 19/9/2013
Awaiting BRP!

Result?????

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 am

You can chose where you apply, external service providers are entirely optional for Schengen visa applicants. You can chose to go to VFS if you prefer (and pay a handservice ling fee, still a free visa though) OR apply directly at the embassy ad get the visa for free.

VFS and TLS are just handling agencies and sadly not Always well well informed about all the visa rules or EU regulations... Even some embassies don't know or pretend not to know the " free visa for family member of EU/EAA spouse travelign to another EU country" .
See: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr ... dex_en.htm

In your case you can apply at the French embassy in the UK (I'd prefer this, less change of them not not knowing the rules compared to TLS staff) and apply as somebody joining the EU/EEA national. Leave the fields marked with a * empty. For travel purpose fill in " other: joining UK spouse to France". if you really want to be clear write " excerising freedom of movement, directive 2004/38/EC" on it. Show your marriage papers, passports of you and your spouse, a statement from your spouse that you will be giong to France together and if you can, a resevation for the ferry or aeroplane from UK to FR to strenghten the applicantions so there can be no doubt that you will travel together. No need for Insurance, sufficient funds etc.

If you meet ressistance, contact Solvit (EU ombudsman), found at the bottom of the before mentioned link.