ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR spouse of UK citizen to get Schengen Visa 4 Spain- how?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bototo

ILR spouse of UK citizen to get Schengen Visa 4 Spain- how?

Post by bototo » Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 am

It's for an Indian citizen who holds ILR, lives in the UK and is a long-standing spouse of a British passport holder. They intend travelling together to Spain in August.

It must seem fairly simple to you guys, but I'm having trouble finding information on this. Searching on the forums I couldn't easily find any thread about a non-EU citizen getting a Schengen visa. Looking in Google I find information about the Schengen visa and various references to "New Rules" but can't find how to get the visa from the Spanish authorities (except that he needs to apply at London rather than Manchester). The top searches in Google lead me to agents' sites that say he should phone the Spanish embassy in London for an appointment. It's a premium rate number (09065540714) but when called there's a Cablecom message saying the number is no longer in operation. And the Spanish consulate website isn't any help either!

Any tips on how to go about getting this visa for a one week visit? And any info on these "New Rules" and how they would affect this case? In fact, if the Schengen visa works across multiple countries and is issued by multiple countries is it easier to get it from somewhere other than the Spanish embassy (French, German or some other) and use it to go to Spain? The cost is not the issue as much as the convenience and not having to attend in person.

Thanks in advance.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:04 am

Try this link for more details.

http://www.maec.es/subwebs/Consulados/L ... vices.aspx

It seems like now the Spanish embassy are using vfs to handle the appointments hence why the old number no longer works.

http://es.vfsglobal.co.uk/

bototo

Post by bototo » Tue May 25, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks for your quick reply djb123. That was very useful.

Had a look there.

This page confuses me. It seems to suggest that if you're on a UK ILR and you're the spouse of a UK national the conditions are a lot more onerous and you have to submit your spouse's passport as well with your application (if your ILR document doesn't state specifically that your spouse is a UK national).

If it's the "SHORT STAY - TOURIST VISA" section that applies then he's got to have medical insurance, proof of accomodation, pre-booked flight tickets, letter of invitation from someone in Spain etc etc:
SHORT STAY - TOURIST VISA

* Passport valid with one full blank page to affix the visa.
* Two completed and signed visa application forms.
* Two passport colour photographs.
* UK Residency / Immigration Status.
* Recent and signed letter of employment on letter headed paper from the company in the UK addressed to the Spanish Consulate. Students: recent letter from the school or University on headed paper confirming attendance (a letter of enrolment is not acceptable).
*(if self employed: letter from solicitor/Bank manager/Accountant/Local chamber of commerce).
*(if working for a family: letter of employment/tax paying proof in UK, Employer’s passport and recent bank statements).
* Last 3 months Bank Statements showing the applicant’s home address.
* Salary slips (optional).
* Overseas Medical Insurance Policy (with repatriation clause).
* Flight Tickets reservation or booking *.
* Accommodation: Hotel Bookings/Deeds of property in Spain/Letter of invitation from the host issued by the Police in Spain.
* Declaration of consent for Minor children signed by both parents or either parent with the legal custody, and copy of their passports and copy of Birth certificate.
Is all that really necessary or am I looking in the wrong place?

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:37 am

Think you are mis-reading the information, as the spouse of a EU (which of course includes UK) citizen it is a lot easier. This is all you need - no travel plans, or proof of finances required.

o Passport valid with one full blank page to affix the visa.
o Completed and signed visa application form.
o One passport colour photograph.
o Original and photocopy of EU passport or National ID card of the EU National or Spanish National.
o UK residence permit.
o Original and copy of the marriage certificate (Non EU documents must be legalised according to the 1961 Hague convention).
o Original and copy of Residence proof such as recent bank statements or household bills.

bototo

Post by bototo » Fri May 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I followed it up and email VFS. To their credit they replied fairly quickly.

However, there's apparently no chance of Spain granting this visa because the applicant's ILR is not stamped in his passport, it is a separate document issued by the UKBA.

Arrghh!