ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refusal of hsmp on english language but scored 85 points

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

extrovert

Refusal of hsmp on english language but scored 85 points

Post by extrovert » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi there,
I applied for HSMP under new scheme and currently hold a student visa.My application has been refused because of the English requirement but HO has mntioned in the letter that I scored 85 points otherwise.I am from Pakistan basically but studying in UK.Now I am going for IELTS and reaplying for the HSMP again after passing IELTS.Could you please tell me what are the chances of getting the approval after doing IELTS??another change in my second application will be that I will b e over 28 years but still I will be able to score 75 point if not 85.Need your precious advice.Thank you.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:00 pm

Very good, but not guaranteed.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

scholarshk

Letter

Post by scholarshk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:49 pm

Did'nt you provide the Degree Taught in English university letter ?

Its alternate to IELTS and if you'd provide it, should had gotten approval.

BTW, Miss VictoriaS, why are'nt you helping inulin with his/her grounds of appeal !

Regards,

SHK

extrovert

Please Help.

Post by extrovert » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:37 pm

I did provide the letter from the educational institute stating that the taught course was in english. I hold a bachelor degree in commerce from pakistan which is of two years and I also did mba from University of Huddersfield.
I am not sure about the reason of the refusal it may be because my bachelors is of two years period but I did pass IELTS and scored 6.0 band five years back when I applied for Australian student visa.
Now I have booked IELTS but the dtae is in January and after the end of January I will be over 28. The refusal letter I received from hsmp deptt states
"Your application has been assessed against the hsmp qualifying criteria and cfter carefull consideration of the evidence provided it has been refused.
The terms of qulifying criteria are that inviduals must
-Provide the specified required evidence to demonstrate that the score points in the HSMP scoring areas; and
-Provide the specified required evidence to demonstrate appropriate english language ability.
Your application scores a total of 85 points but does not meet the terms of hsmp qualifying criteria.
You have provided sufficient specified evidence to demonstrate that you score 75 points.
You have n ot provided sufficient evidence to meet the english language requirement.
Details below is your score for each of the areas in which points were claimed, and the reason awarding the respective points.
Qualifications
points claimed = 35
Points awarded = 35
Previous earnings
Pints claimed = 25
Points awarded= 25
UK experience
Points claimed = 5
Points awarded = 5
Age assessment
Points claimed = 20
Points awarded =20

English Language Requirement
-You have stated that you have bachelor degree equivalent to a UK bachelor degree taught in english.
-The degree is recognised by NARIC as below UK bachelor standard
-In line with published guidance, the evidence provided has been assessed as insufficient to meet the english language requirement.

You may request one consideration of your application.This will be carried out on the basis of exactly the same information provided in your original application. If you wish us to review our decision, you should clearly set out the resaons why you beleive the decision is incorrect in aletter to the HSMP team or complete the review request from available on our website. You need to make a review request in writing and within 28 days of the decision made.
The reason for the refusal are set out above. Please consider these carefully before requesting a review. No supporting evidence should be sent with your request, as the review will be considered on the evidence previously provided. As the review will be a full reconsideration of your application, any points awarded on any previous application may not be awarded at the review where we identify furthur grounds for the refusal then the decision to maintain refusal of your application will stand, even when the original basis for refusal may have been overturned.

Should you wish us to reconsider this decision on the basis of new or addition information included in the application that is the subject of this decision, you must submit a fresh application.
This should be made on an HSMP application form and include full supporting evidence(including required evidence supplied to us with any previous application) and the appopriate fee"

I wonder if anyone can advise me whther to go for a review or a fresh application, which option has better chances of success?

IF anybody needs furthur details of my the documents I provide with my application please don't hasitate to ask.

Looking forward

Post by 1971 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:26 am

Dear Pal,

Really sorry about your case. My questions are:

(a) Did you enquire from NARIC that your Bachelor's degree is equivalent to UK degree?

(b) What was NARIC's response?

(c) What evidence did you use as your proof English Langauge requirements? IELTS and what band? or University letter stating your degree was taught and instructed with English.

MBA degree will not be accepted as a medium proof for English Language because of the length of time taken to complete the program, hence HO's request for Bachelor's degree which takes averagely 4-5 years to complete.

But that notwithstanding,if NARIC verification was obtained as equivalent and it was included in your initial application, I will advise that you go for an appeal and state your facts in simple,polite and coincise manner.

I wish yopu the best.
~1971.

"Success comes with some pains."

Post by 1971 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:30 am

Hi,

Correction please in my statement:

But that notwithstanding,if NARIC verification was obtained as equivalent and it was included in your initial application, I will advise that you go for a review and state your facts in simple,polite and coincise manner. No new or old docs should be included. Just refer to all docs submitted earlier.

Best wishes,
~1971.
"if you dont try,you cant get."

extrovert

Thanks for wishing me good luck, I need it.

Post by extrovert » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:31 am

Hi mate

Fist of all thanks very much for your reply. I didnt send the Naric letter with my application and the bachelor I did is of two years so I beleive it is not equivalent to the UK standard bachelor.
In your opinion is that the reason for refusal?
In suach a short time before I will be 28 what do you reckon I should do?

Kind regards

SYH
BANNED

Re: Thanks for wishing me good luck, I need it.

Post by SYH » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:42 am

extrovert wrote:Hi mate

Fist of all thanks very much for your reply. I didnt send the Naric letter with my application and the bachelor I did is of two years so I beleive it is not equivalent to the UK standard bachelor.
In your opinion is that the reason for refusal?
In suach a short time before I will be 28 what do you reckon I should do?

Kind regards
thats correct, a programme of 2 years is considered an associate degree not bachelor, however you should argue, its recognized by naric and there is no guidance that states a 2 year bachelor's will not be considered as the right level, you can only go by the degree you are given. and would kindly request that the reconsideration take this into account
something like that

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:48 am

My so called lawyer has asked me to do IELTS and reapply but my argument is if I have scored 85 points already and due to the english language requirement my application has been refused even though the bachelor taught course was in english I better go for the review of the application.
If I am unfortunate enough to be refused again then I have the option to reapply with the IELTS anyway as I have booked the test date in January.

Many thanks for your advice.

regards

rely

Re: Refusal of hsmp on english language but scored 85 points

Post by rely » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:03 am

No. of years of study is important ie length of study for english language.Here in your case it is 2 years bachelors which is not accepatable by head office like unacceptability of 1 or 2 years of masters though your bachelors degree is recognised by naric still 2 your degree is of 2 years and not 3 years.
rely

quote="extrovert"]Hi there,
I applied for HSMP under new scheme and currently hold a student visa.My application has been refused because of the English requirement but HO has mntioned in the letter that I scored 85 points otherwise.I am from Pakistan basically but studying in UK.Now I am going for IELTS and reaplying for the HSMP again after passing IELTS.Could you please tell me what are the chances of getting the approval after doing IELTS??another change in my second application will be that I will b e over 28 years but still I will be able to score 75 point if not 85.Need your precious advice.Thank you.[/quote]

kmsr1234

Hey.................Very Very imporatant message from me....

Post by kmsr1234 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:10 am

Hi,

Actually You said that you hold a bachelor's degree which is of two years..
It is imperative that the bachelor's degree must be of atleast 3/4 years.That is the reason Home office believes That you have not met the english language criteria............

Bye.
knowledge increases when you share it
-----------------------------------------
EC Applied: VFS_HYD 31/DEC/07
Integra Verification : 4/jan/08
Integra report to BHC : No Idea
Final Result : Waiting
-----------------------------------------

scholarshk

Re-apply

Post by scholarshk » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:28 am

Extrovert,

Actually in your case, you have a UK Masters degree. If you'd a Masters degree from Pakistan, it would be equivalent to UK Bachelors degree. That way you could have got 75 points and English letter acceptance.

I'm afraid, now you'll have to take the IELTS examination and re-apply. There's no use in review as English qualification letter is not acceptable if final degree is higher than UK Bachelors.

Regards,

SHK

gorajim

Post by gorajim » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:48 am

Hiya,

Don't bother going for a review. Simply take the IELTS and reapply. Hopefully every other criteria except age will remain the same. However, you can still achieve the required 75 points and maybe successful in your application.

IMHO, a review is a waste of time. The result shouldn't be any different that it is now.

Cheers.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Please Help.

Post by pantaiema » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:05 am

Extrovert

The reason for rejection based on insufficient Evidence to meet English requirement is pretty clear. Your Bachelor degree is taught in English however because it is not recognised to be comparable to UK bachelor than you cannot use it as evidence to meet English requirements. If I might suggest, it is better to submit application with IELTS in hand rather than to go for review as U would probably just waste your time.

I am quite confusing here U said that U gets MBA degree from Huddersfield how come you could study MBA degree if your Bachelor degree is not recognised. The common requirement for Master’s degree study in the UK is that U need to have recognised first degree is not it?

extrovert"]

The reason for rejection that insuff

extrovert wrote:I did provide the letter from the educational institute stating that the taught course was in english. I hold a bachelor degree in commerce from pakistan which is of two years and I also did mba from University of Huddersfield.
I am not sure about the reason of the refusal it may be because my bachelors is of two years period but I did pass IELTS and scored 6.0 band five years back when I applied for Australian student visa.
Now I have booked IELTS but the dtae is in January and after the end of January I will be over 28. The refusal letter I received from hsmp deptt states
"Your application has been assessed against the hsmp qualifying criteria and cfter carefull consideration of the evidence provided it has been refused.
The terms of qulifying criteria are that inviduals must
-Provide the specified required evidence to demonstrate that the score points in the HSMP scoring areas; and
-Provide the specified required evidence to demonstrate appropriate english language ability.
Your application scores a total of 85 points but does not meet the terms of hsmp qualifying criteria.
You have provided sufficient specified evidence to demonstrate that you score 75 points.
You have n ot provided sufficient evidence to meet the english language requirement.
Details below is your score for each of the areas in which points were claimed, and the reason awarding the respective points.
Qualifications
points claimed = 35
Points awarded = 35
Previous earnings
Pints claimed = 25
Points awarded= 25
UK experience
Points claimed = 5
Points awarded = 5
Age assessment
Points claimed = 20
Points awarded =20

English Language Requirement
-You have stated that you have bachelor degree equivalent to a UK bachelor degree taught in english.
-The degree is recognised by NARIC as below UK bachelor standard
-In line with published guidance, the evidence provided has been assessed as insufficient to meet the english language requirement.

You may request one consideration of your application.This will be carried out on the basis of exactly the same information provided in your original application. If you wish us to review our decision, you should clearly set out the resaons why you beleive the decision is incorrect in aletter to the HSMP team or complete the review request from available on our website. You need to make a review request in writing and within 28 days of the decision made.
The reason for the refusal are set out above. Please consider these carefully before requesting a review. No supporting evidence should be sent with your request, as the review will be considered on the evidence previously provided. As the review will be a full reconsideration of your application, any points awarded on any previous application may not be awarded at the review where we identify furthur grounds for the refusal then the decision to maintain refusal of your application will stand, even when the original basis for refusal may have been overturned.

Should you wish us to reconsider this decision on the basis of new or addition information included in the application that is the subject of this decision, you must submit a fresh application.
This should be made on an HSMP application form and include full supporting evidence(including required evidence supplied to us with any previous application) and the appopriate fee"

I wonder if anyone can advise me whther to go for a review or a fresh application, which option has better chances of success?

IF anybody needs furthur details of my the documents I provide with my application please don't hasitate to ask.

Looking forward
Pantaiema

T_mahmood
Member of Standing

Post by T_mahmood » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi

If I were in your shoes, I would have done these;

1. File the review request with strong arugments.

2. Book IELTS test before filing review request and started preparing for the test.

I anticipate that you havce very bright chance as your other points have been accepted and there is no objection on these. So prepare yourself get above 6 and be optmistic.
BEST OF LUCK.
Thinking low is crime....

asim_khan

Post by asim_khan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Hey m8,
Everybody is guiding ya but i m 300% sure that if u go for a review, ur application will be refused as ur bachelors degree is below UK bachelors and u can not meet English language requirement for this..Bro i m saying this with so much confidence as i have seen so many cases like this been rejected. I m Pakistani as well and i applied for HSMP in Sept but my case for refused but not for English language requirement. anyways....u shud do IELTS and then re apply, if u r abt to turn 28, no worries....jus apply with 75 pts and inshallah u will get it...
tha mate,
Asim

extrovert

Reply to Pantaiema

Post by extrovert » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Hi

Many thanks to all of you taking time and giving me valueable advice and wishes which I couldnt get from anywhere else. I have booked IELTS and will go for the test and then re apply.

To Pantaiema

After my two years graduation I was doing two years executive mba from pakistan and after the 16 months of course which means after four smesters I met Huddersfield MBA tutor in my university and he gave me unconditional offer considering my work experience. So infact I completed more than required years of schooling but I didnt include that in my application as first of all I just have the transcript for the four semesters completed not the degree. Secondly I thought my bachelor and the UK mba is enough for hsmp application and I didnt want to complicate things and wanted to keep them simple.

Well now I am hoping for the best, I wish I can IELTS test date in december but no dates are available before 12th of Jan.

Regards

SYH
BANNED

Re: Reply to Pantaiema

Post by SYH » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:01 pm

extrovert wrote:Hi

Many thanks to all of you taking time and giving me valueable advice and wishes which I couldnt get from anywhere else. I have booked IELTS and will go for the test and then re apply.

To Pantaiema

After my two years graduation I was doing two years executive mba from pakistan and after the 16 months of course which means after four smesters I met Huddersfield MBA tutor in my university and he gave me unconditional offer considering my work experience. So infact I completed more than required years of schooling but I didnt include that in my application as first of all I just have the transcript for the four semesters completed not the degree. Secondly I thought my bachelor and the UK mba is enough for hsmp application and I didnt want to complicate things and wanted to keep them simple.

Well now I am hoping for the best, I wish I can IELTS test date in december but no dates are available before 12th of Jan.

Regards
Then you knew based on this exceptional offer that your original degree was not normally satisfactory in terms of a qualification to enter the MBA courses. As such, the case worker was on the ball for noticing this gap and it was incumbent on you to explain it. While I can see why you thought it was keeping it simple, it was already not a simple matter.

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:29 pm

I knew it wasn't a simple matter and could have raised other questions. Its better to think how should I persue my hsmp application rather than investigating why huddersfield University gave me offer.
One of the marketing professor at Huddersfield uni has been given admission in masters in marketing after his A levels and work experience and after finishing that course he is now a lecturer at uni. Hows that?

Regards

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:36 pm

extrovert wrote:I knew it wasn't a simple matter and could have raised other questions. Its better to think how should I persue my hsmp application rather than investigating why huddersfield University gave me offer.
One of the marketing professor at Huddersfield uni has been given admission in masters in marketing after his A levels and work experience and after finishing that course he is now a lecturer at uni. Hows that?

Regards
I agree you must move on from it but frankly it sounds like it could have been submitted something impressive on your applicationby explaining that you had been given them opportunity and as such it wouldn't make sense for you to go back to get the bacherlor's in the manner they would expect its form to be in. And would they consider something else like that you are in a master's program which is being taught in English proving the competency had been mastered earlier.

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:10 pm

I have no idea what do they expect. But it is common sense that mba IELTS requirement is 6.5 band and the course tutor didnt even for that when he interviewed me.
But sometimes we have to follow what is documented and unfortunately I wasnt aware of that before making the application otherwise I could have gone for IELTS in the first place.
I didnt mention 4 semesters of my mba in Pakistan in HSMP application as whoever I told the first wuestion they asked me was 'If you already done mba why are you doing it again?'
I know I did it to complete required years of study for UK mba.

Anyways lets bygones be bygones and hope for the best in future.

Regards

piscean_sa
Newly Registered

Post by piscean_sa » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:22 am

Extrovert,
To meet English language requirement, you must have a Bachelors degree from a UK University or an IELTS(taken within the last 12 months or so,I think).
So, your Bachelors degree from Pakistan cannot be considered in this case.

Also, it doesn't matter how old you are as long as you have got 75 points.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:53 am

piscean_sa wrote:Extrovert,
To meet English language requirement, you must have a Bachelors degree from a UK University or an IELTS(taken within the last 12 months or so,I think).

Where you have read this ?
Don't give wrong information. For English language requirement , you need to have bachelors degree equivalent of UK bachelors degree(no matter where you earned it) and taught in English. You must have documentary evidence for same(University letter). Or you can take IELTS exam.

piscean_sa
Newly Registered

Post by piscean_sa » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:07 am

gotcha wrote:

Don't give wrong information. For English language requirement , you need to have bachelors degree equivalent of UK bachelors degree(no matter where you earned it) and taught in English. You must have documentary evidence for same(University letter). Or you can take IELTS exam.
I'm talking about English Language Requirement here not Qualifications.
For 'Qualifications' purpose your degree could be from anywhere.
For English Language Requirement you have to have IELTS or Bachelors degree from a UK University/College.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:15 pm

Yes this is true it does not need to be British Universities
gotcha wrote:

Pantaiema