ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British PG Diploma: Does it qualify for Tier1 (GENERAL) Visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

npanglia

British PG Diploma: Does it qualify for Tier1 (GENERAL) Visa

Post by npanglia » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:24 am

I am currently in the phase of applying for Tier-1 General UK Visa.
As I have got my qualification assessment by NARIC, the highest degree of my qualification (from India) is declared comparable to British Post Graduate Diploma standard.

Post 1 Apil,2009 since the minimum qualification to apply for Tier 1 general visa is Masters Degree.
As I check the band structure of NARIC, even British PG Diploma falls under Masters Level Band.
Ref: http://www.naric.org.uk/documents/code% ... dology.pdf

My question is that if British PG Diploma meets the criteria of Masters to qualify for General Tier 1 Visa.

When I went through HO website, they have mentioned that PG diploma for Tier1 (Post study work) is not eligible. However I dint see similar mention about Tier 1 (GENERAL)
Ref: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ea=Working

Help/Clarification in this regard will be highly appreciated.

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Re: British PG Diploma: Does it qualify for Tier1 (GENERAL)

Post by crowbar6 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:44 am

npanglia wrote:I am currently in the phase of applying for Tier-1 General UK Visa.
As I have got my qualification assessment by NARIC, the highest degree of my qualification (from India) is declared comparable to British Post Graduate Diploma standard.

Post 1 Apil,2009 since the minimum qualification to apply for Tier 1 general visa is Masters Degree.
As I check the band structure of NARIC, even British PG Diploma falls under Masters Level Band.
Ref: http://www.naric.org.uk/documents/code% ... dology.pdf

My question is that if British PG Diploma meets the criteria of Masters to qualify for General Tier 1 Visa.

When I went through HO website, they have mentioned that PG diploma for Tier1 (Post study work) is not eligible. However I dint see similar mention about Tier 1 (GENERAL)
Ref: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ea=Working

Help/Clarification in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Need qualification to be comparable to British Masters for Tier 1. Is your college/degree not listed in the PBS calculator?
Regards,
crowbar6

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:49 am

The college is not listed; however university is listed. But still post assesment by NARIC already done, they have compared my qualification which is PGDiploma in International Business equivalent to British Post graduate diploma standard.

SO does this PG diploma now qualify as Master's for Tier 1 GENERAL Visa since if I check NARIC Band, PG (Band 12) is considered as Master's. But not sure if minimum Band 13 (british taught master's Degree) is required for Tier 1 General Visa.
(Link in my last post)

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:45 am

Sent a enquiry mail to VFS, they have repied with the below

Thank you for contacting VFS UK Visa Helpdesk.

We cannot advise the applicant for calculating the points. He has to calculate and should enclose the documents related to it so that the High commission will take up a decision.

This is still confusing. Can anyone help?

npanglia

Help

Post by npanglia » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:21 pm

Suggestions please

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 pm

PBS calculator does not display each college of every University. If just University is listed there and it awards you points for Qualifications, it is enough.
npanglia wrote:The college is not listed; however university is listed. But still post assesment by NARIC already done, they have compared my qualification which is PGDiploma in International Business equivalent to British Post graduate diploma standard.

SO does this PG diploma now qualify as Master's for Tier 1 GENERAL Visa since if I check NARIC Band, PG (Band 12) is considered as Master's. But not sure if minimum Band 13 (british taught master's Degree) is required for Tier 1 General Visa.
(Link in my last post)

atando
Newly Registered

pg diploma

Post by atando » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:32 am

i too have a similar query/issue

have you got a clarification on the same yet?
would uk naric letter comparing it with british diploma suffice to apply for tier1 general?

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: pg diploma

Post by mvent00 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:23 am

atando wrote:i too have a similar query/issue

have you got a clarification on the same yet?
would uk naric letter comparing it with british diploma suffice to apply for tier1 general?
Yes, but only, if the NARIC letter says that Diploma is equivalent to UK level's Master program.

npanglia

Re: pg diploma

Post by npanglia » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:06 am

mvent00 wrote: Yes, but only, if the NARIC letter says that Diploma is equivalent to UK level's Master program.
But that is already mentioned in NARIC Band description available on their website. Please refer to Page 7 of the link (pdf file) which categorize British PG Diploma within Maters.
http://www.naric.org.uk/documents/code% ... dology.pdf

Please advice if that will suffice the requirements.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:55 am

The simplest way is to check your qualifications on PBS calculator. If these are listed there, you do not need anything. If not, you have to submit a letter of comparibility from NARIC. For initial applications, minimum UK level master or equivalent voacational and professional qualification is required.

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:01 pm

mvent00 wrote:The simplest way is to check your qualifications on PBS calculator. If these are listed there, you do not need anything. If not, you have to submit a letter of comparibility from NARIC. For initial applications, minimum UK level master or equivalent voacational and professional qualification is required.
As mentioned, Institute not listed on PBS but univeristy is. So got comparablility letter from NARIC and they have compared equivalent to British Post Graduate Diploma which certainly is at masters level but still not a master degree.

Now your take on this?

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:33 pm

npanglia wrote:
mvent00 wrote:The simplest way is to check your qualifications on PBS calculator. If these are listed there, you do not need anything. If not, you have to submit a letter of comparibility from NARIC. For initial applications, minimum UK level master or equivalent voacational and professional qualification is required.
As mentioned, Institute not listed on PBS but univeristy is. So got comparablility letter from NARIC and they have compared equivalent to British Post Graduate Diploma which certainly is at masters level but still not a master degree.

Now your take on this?
If so, as per guidance, you are good to go.

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:26 am

mvent00 wrote:
npanglia wrote:

Now your take on this?
If so, as per guidance, you are good to go.
This is a bit confusing situation now since some of the folks have mentioned that it needs to be British Masters degree only. Is there anyone who has applied on british PG Diploma (under master level) to claim 35 points for masters.

srirags

Post by srirags » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:19 am

i know some of my friends who did their PG Diploma in UK were not eligible to apply for the Tier-1 and they are registered again to get a Masters Degree....

your's is aswell the similar case and the only difference being the country of study.

So if your course details are not in the points based calculator and if NARIC didn't assess your qualification as equivalent to British Masters degree standars, I don't think you are eligible to apply for tier-1

Hope it helps!

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:41 pm

srirags wrote:i know some of my friends who did their PG Diploma in UK were not eligible to apply for the Tier-1 and they are registered again to get a Masters Degree....
Can you confirm if this is for Post Study Work Visa or Generak Visa. My query is specific to Tier 1 GENERAL Visa. I am aware that for PSW Tier 1 Visa PG Diploma is not eligible. But wanted to confirm on GENERAL Tier 1 Visa. (Refer to the first post of this forum.)

srirags

Post by srirags » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:31 pm

psw to tier 1, I think it is same as initial tier 1 application?

As you mentioned your university is mentioned in the points calculator, select your university and select the degree of award as PG Diploma and see the points you get.

If you were awarded 35 points then you are fine else I doubt!

Alternatively you can get this confirmed from NARIC directly.

All the best!

skano
Newly Registered

any instance

Post by skano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Do we have any instance till now when a person has applied with PG Diploma comparability by NARIC and the visa was rejected?

anandpathak

Naric assesed as " Post graduate Diploma" - tier 1

Post by anandpathak » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi Gurus,
I need your help urgently on a unusual assesment done by NARIC .

My qualification details :
Post graduate Diploma in Industrail engineeting
Instute : National Institute of Industrial Engineering
Year of Award :2004.

Today i received a "Letter of comparability" from NARIC stating that my qualification assesment is "is considered comparable to British post graduate diploma standard" The letter was issues on 17th Dec 09.

The unusual part is my Classmate ( same instute, same year of passing ,same course) got the assesment as " is considered comparable to British taught Masters degree standard" .Letter issued of Feb 2009.

I am aware that according to the UK NARIC framework while my assesment falls under NARIC band 12 my classmate's assessment shows under NARIC band 13 and both of these according to FHEQ are Master's level. However my question is ; do all NARIC bands which fall under FHEQ Masters score same '35' points under PBS of Tier I general visa application for Masters Qualification

Please help me if there i anyway i can get this issue resolved.

Best Regards
Anand

vks

Re: Naric assesed as " Post graduate Diploma" - ti

Post by vks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:22 am

anandpathak wrote:Hi Gurus,
I need your help urgently on a unusual assesment done by NARIC .

My qualification details :
Post graduate Diploma in Industrail engineeting
Instute : National Institute of Industrial Engineering
Year of Award :2004.

Today i received a "Letter of comparability" from NARIC stating that my qualification assesment is "is considered comparable to British post graduate diploma standard" The letter was issues on 17th Dec 09.

The unusual part is my Classmate ( same instute, same year of passing ,same course) got the assesment as " is considered comparable to British taught Masters degree standard" .Letter issued of Feb 2009.

I am aware that according to the UK NARIC framework while my assesment falls under NARIC band 12 my classmate's assessment shows under NARIC band 13 and both of these according to FHEQ are Master's level. However my question is ; do all NARIC bands which fall under FHEQ Masters score same '35' points under PBS of Tier I general visa application for Masters Qualification

Please help me if there i anyway i can get this issue resolved.

Best Regards
Anand
duplicate
Regards,
vks

sandy1981
Newly Registered

Naric Statement

Post by sandy1981 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi
I just received the Statement of Comparability from Naric for my Indian PG Diploma. The letter states "considered comparable to British PG Diploma standard". I was actually expecting a comparability to the British Master's Degree but anyways....thats besides the point.

What I need to know is, when I am filling out my Tier 1 application, do I mention my qualification as "Masters Degree"? The Naric website states that Band 12 (comparable to British PG Diploma) is equivalent to Masters as per FHEQ standards. Since I hold a letter from Naric that qualifies my Diploma under Band 12, can I mention my qualification as Masters Degree?

Thanks much in advance
Cheers

npanglia

Re: Naric Statement

Post by npanglia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:54 pm

sandy1981 wrote:Hi
I just received the Statement of Comparability from Naric for my Indian PG Diploma. The letter states "considered comparable to British PG Diploma standard". I was actually expecting a comparability to the British Master's Degree but anyways....thats besides the point.

What I need to know is, when I am filling out my Tier 1 application, do I mention my qualification as "Masters Degree"? The Naric website states that Band 12 (comparable to British PG Diploma) is equivalent to Masters as per FHEQ standards. Since I hold a letter from Naric that qualifies my Diploma under Band 12, can I mention my qualification as Masters Degree?

Thanks much in advance
Cheers
Nope.... PG Diploma is not master degree... although its a master.... but not good enough to qualify 35 points within Tier 1.

sandy1981
Newly Registered

Post by sandy1981 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:50 pm

npanglia wrote: Nope.... PG Diploma is not master degree... although its a master.... but not good enough to qualify 35 points within Tier 1.
Does that mean my PG Diploma is no good then? Why does the NARIC website say that Band 12 qualifies as Masters? If you don't mind, can you tell me how you went about it since you faced the same issue.

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:37 am

sandy1981 wrote:
npanglia wrote: Nope.... PG Diploma is not master degree... although its a master.... but not good enough to qualify 35 points within Tier 1.
Does that mean my PG Diploma is no good then? Why does the NARIC website say that Band 12 qualifies as Masters? If you don't mind, can you tell me how you went about it since you faced the same issue.
There is a difference between Masters and Master DEGREE. This is what defined within their band strucutre as wel

sandy1981
Newly Registered

Post by sandy1981 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:48 am

npanglia wrote:
There is a difference between Masters and Master DEGREE. This is what defined within their band strucutre as wel
This is such a dilemma man. Did u manage to resolve this? I am pretty much in the same boat as you were. I did my PGDM from SCMHRD (2006 pass out) and as you know, the institute got affiliated to SIU the following year. I gather you did your PG from SIIB. Perhaps we must've crossed paths several times since we were on the same campus. I read on another thread that you were trying to get a letter of some sorts from AICTE??

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:00 am

sandy1981 wrote:
npanglia wrote:
This is such a dilemma man. Did u manage to resolve this? I am pretty much in the same boat as you were. I did my PGDM from SCMHRD (2006 pass out) and as you know, the institute got affiliated to SIU the following year. I gather you did your PG from SIIB. Perhaps we must've crossed paths several times since we were on the same campus. I read on another thread that you were trying to get a letter of some sorts from AICTE??
I approached AICTE to get the equivalency letter and also gave Rs 5000 as application fees. I applied for this in Nov last year and still no reply. Thanks to our lame government offificals. (One of the reason why I am moving to UK) I followed up with them last week where they informed me that Board meeting will happen soon (This is what I am hearing for last 8-9 months from different voices over the phone). I feel like going to court but that reminds me the judiciary system is even slow than AICTE. :roll:

If you want to discuss further to have a flavour of entire background :) , drop me your no. on my private mailbox