ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit U.K before HSMP visa activation

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

Mechanical-engineer

Visit U.K before HSMP visa activation

Post by Mechanical-engineer » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:46 pm

Hi,
I have Post-dated HSMP visa which will activate from October 1st,2005.Today,I have a call from an employer from U.K.he is ready to pay my travel expenses for interview and need to meet me in one week time.As I said,I already have Post-dated visa,Is that possible that I can visit U.K before activation of my HSMP visa using visit visa for U.K.
Secondly,If I got a job can I ask British embassy to revise my activation date for HSMP.

regards,
ME

bani

Re: Visit U.K before HSMP visa activation

Post by bani » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:04 pm

I think this is ok. Just get a visitor visa, use it once, leave the UK then use the HSMP visa when you return. From previous posts, I think one Australian girl did this (though she did not require a visitor visa), she made one tourist visit before her move to the UK last year, she already had the HSMP in her passport then (but postdated like yours).

As for revising the EC date, call your embassy and ask. They can invalidate the current EC stamp and print a new one that is valid from an earlier date. I'm just not sure if they would charge you another visa processing fee.
Mechanical-engineer wrote:Hi,
I have Post-dated HSMP visa which will activate from October 1st,2005.Today,I have a call from an employer from U.K.he is ready to pay my travel expenses for interview and need to meet me in one week time.As I said,I already have Post-dated visa,Is that possible that I can visit U.K before activation of my HSMP visa using visit visa for U.K.
Secondly,If I got a job can I ask British embassy to revise my activation date for HSMP.

regards,
ME

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:27 pm

In my personal opinion I would strongly advise you not to go down that route. My understanding is that you can't have two entry clearances at the same time. If you opt for a visit visa, it will supersede you HSMP entry clearance. Will you be able to get HSMP EC stamped again, I don't know but again it would probably not be worth the hastle. Let me say again that this is my personal opinion and would wait for more senior members / moderators to comment.

LindaElane
Newly Registered

Post by LindaElane » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:40 pm

Hello! I saw you post and I have a question.

How did you get a "post dated HSMP visa". I assume you mean the entry clearance visa that you must get after you have HSMP approval.

The reason that I ask is that I might be getting HSMP approval as early as January, but then would not enter the UK until July 1. Obviously, I don't want the HO to consider that I only lived in the UK for 6 months of the one year program I was approved for.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:57 pm

won't be a problem (assuming that you don't require entry clearance in advance for tourism purposes).

I have an Australian passport and had my HSMP EC post-dated to October 2004. I had no problem entering the UK as a tourist in June and July 2004. I was simply given 6 months leave to enter upon arriving at heathrow and then again at the channel tunnel.

I did check this out though before I left and was advised by the British High Commission in Australia that this would not be a problem. UK immigration also had no problem with me entering the country either, some were rather chuffed that I had decided to move from Australia to the UK!

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:22 pm

If you opt for a visit visa, it will supersede you HSMP entry clearance <== even i think it works the sameway, better call your embassy and confirm

@vayu: remember the rules are different for different countries... a australian national does not require a visa to enter the UK as a tourist but a indian national does

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:32 am

I am in the same situation. I am applying for my EC visa through fast track at Los Angeles consulate on August 1st. I will be making a two week trip in early September, but have requested that my EC be post dated to October 15th. I was a bit worried about doing this, as the officer might look at my EC stamp and be confused, but I figure that this happens often. Folks need to make a visit at least once or twice to get things settled before they make the permanent move.

I also considered the fact that if I need to move there earlier than October 15th, what am I to do? Well, personally, I agree with the post earlier that said not to even go there. I wouldn't want to risk the hassle of revising my EC visa stamp. I originally wanted to post date the visa to November 1st, but revised it to October 15th because of this same reason. So it may be wise to post date it just a little earlier.

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:05 am

homeistheuk, what is your present nationality?

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:39 pm

American :)

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:44 pm

homeistheuk: can i ask what your application timeline was and what you do? Im another American on the West Coast- you must be too if you are going to LA

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:50 pm

homeistheuk,

then you will have no problem entering on a tourist visa issued upon arrival, even if you have the postdated HSMP already stuck in your passport.

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:02 pm

amhilde wrote:homeistheuk: can i ask what your application timeline was and what you do? Im another American on the West Coast- you must be too if you are going to LA
Dear Amhilde,

My application timeline is as follows:

Under 28
Application Date: September 1, 2004
Urgent Treatment Form Sent: May 24, 2004
Approved: May 27, 2005

I am an attorney in Portland will continue working in the legal profession in London. Now all I have to get through is this obstacle of getting the entry clearance, I've got my fingers crossed. I know there is no reason why it should get denied, but I am still nervous.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:46 pm

hi again-

Thanks for filling that in- you were one of those who got caught in last summers fiasco then eh? You should be ok with the EC though, I cannot imagine they would have much of a problem with a single person with American funds. Did you say you had a job offer? How did that come about? How did you become interested in the UK in the first place?

sorry for the questions :)

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:39 pm

Dear Amhilde,

Yes you are right, my application got caught in the backlog and it was just sitting there forever. But at that time, it was okay because I wasn't in a huge hurry to go back then. I sent in an urgent treatment form in May when I got a job offer. My current employer wants me to open up an international office in London.

I spent a semester of my college years at Oxford University, which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, it wasn't til my trip in 2003 that confirmed my suspicion that I wanted to live in the UK.

First of all, I've spent my whole life growing up in California and enjoyed it, but was always feeling the itch to live in another country. I respect the UK for how well they are doing economically and how they use their resources. And finally, I highly respect their resilience. I know Americans can never be as resilient or better with their resources. Also, the british guys seem to like me too! :lol: