ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-1(G) Min earnings-£25k;min quali: Back to Graduate??

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

push

Tier-1(G) Min earnings-£25k;min quali: Back to Graduate??

Post by push » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:21 am

This could be a copyright material:

Skilled Immigrants Should Earn More to Enter U.K., Panel Says

Dec. 4 (Bloomberg) -- A British panel advising on immigration recommended raising the minimum pay skilled migrants must earn and lowering their level of educational achievement to gain residency in the U.K.
To qualify as a so-called Tier One migrant, an applicant should earn at least 25,000 pounds ($41,462) a year, up from 20,000 pounds currently, said the Migration Advisory Committee, which makes recommendations to the government. It suggested dropping a requirement that migrants hold a masters degree.
The change resulted from discussions with businesses based in the City, London’s financial district, which had said requirements for a masters’ degree made it harder to hire from outside the European Union, said David Metcalf, a professor of industrial relations at the London School of Economics, who chaired the panel.
The changes “will ensure that the City is able to bring in the brightest and the best,â€
Last edited by push on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

gordon

From the FT

Post by gordon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:34 am

From the FT
Master's only' visa rule for migrants scrapped

By James Boxell, Home Affairs Correspondent
Published: December 4 2009 02:00 | Last updated: December 4 2009 02:00

Highly skilled foreigners will no longer need a master's degree to seek work in the UK after the government's chief migration adviser found the restrictions were stopping businesses from hiring the "brightest and the best".

The master's-only rule for so-called " tier one" work permits was introduced last year by Jacqui Smith, then home secretary, as part of a drive to cut the number of non-EU migrants through a new points-based system.

However, the change led to intense lobbying by London First, a City pressure group, as well as leading law firms and accountants such as KPMG and PwC.

Businesses argued the restrictions were draconian and would block London's access to the best talent, just as the City was struggling to emerge from the financial crisis.

As a result, David Metcalf, head of the government's migration advisory committee, said only people who hold a bachelor's degree should be allowed to come to the UK to seek employment.

"We've restored what Jacqui Smith took away last April," Mr Metcalf said. "It was too blunt. The businesses I spoke to were all very, very concerned about this change."

To counter accusations that the policy reversal will make migration too easy, the committee is increasing the level of salary that tier one migrants will need to have earned before coming to the UK. People holding a bachelor's degree will be guaranteed entry if they have previously earned the equivalent of £75,000 a year, while those with a masters degree will need to demonstrate a salary of at least £65,000. Applicants with PhDs will need to have earned £50,000.

People who have earned more than £150,000-a-year will be allowed into the UK even if they hold no kind of degree, after companies argued that many successful businessmen did not attend university.

Separately yesterday, Mr Metcalf called on the government to examine whether students at hundreds of "lower tier" UK colleges should continue to be given tier one visas allowing them to stay in the country for two years after their courses end.

About 42,000 people used that route last year, with the largest numbers coming from India and China. But Mr Metcalf said only 150 of the 750 colleges awarding degrees were "proper" universities.

The lower-tier group included colleges for homeopathic education, Chinese medicine and circus skills.

A recent Home Office survey showed only about half of people on post-study work visas were working in professional jobs.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/58786cea-e076 ... ab49a.html

push

Post by push » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:42 am

Just so that we are clear - these are recommendations only at the moment. No change in rules has been implimented yet. However, these do point towards how things might look like in future
regards,
push

email257525
BANNED

hi

Post by email257525 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:45 am

has this allready applied?
if not when expected to apply

Regards

ChetanOjha

Re: hi

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:13 am

email257525 wrote:has this allready applied?
if not when expected to apply

Regards
As push mentioned this are recommendation but can give glimpses of what is stored in future.

push

Post by push » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Ultimately everything boils down to this

Image.

I reckon that the recommendations might be implemented soon sans the Graduate one!!
Last edited by push on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards,
push

vip
Newly Registered

Re: From the FT

Post by vip » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:14 pm

gordon wrote:From the FT

To counter accusations that the policy reversal will make migration too easy, the committee is increasing the level of salary that tier one migrants will need to have earned before coming to the UK. People holding a bachelor's degree will be guaranteed entry if they have previously earned the equivalent of £75,000 a year, while those with a masters degree will need to demonstrate a salary of at least £65,000. Applicants with PhDs will need to have earned £50,000.

People who have earned more than £150,000-a-year will be allowed into the UK even if they hold no kind of degree, after companies argued that many successful businessmen did not attend university.
Do you think the new rule will affect to only people who firstly enter into the UK to look for jobs? Those who have already stayed in the UK are exempted from this new rule, Right???

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:46 pm

The lower-tier group included colleges for homeopathic education, Chinese medicine and circus skills.

They offer courses in circus skills? Whatever next? Underwater basket weaving, perhaps...? :D

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:05 pm

They offer courses in circus skills? Whatever next? Underwater basket weaving, perhaps...? :D
Let me tell you something, if 2012 is true, these folks will be the real highly skilled persons :wink: .

roza

Post by roza » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:43 pm

push

Post by push » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:51 pm

For those who want to see the full report -its here. I have already copied above the main points. Broadly what they are saying is:
Good Points- (1) Lowering of Qualification (2) Points for those upto 39 years of age.

Negatives -(1) Higher earning criteria (2) Revision to earnings multipliers (3) recurrent changes in the policy. See below for the summary table:

regards,
push

silverTR
Norway

Post by silverTR » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:22 pm

i am definetly sure that master degree requirement will be dropped out. but earning issue will remain. :/

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:20 pm

silverTR wrote:i am definetly sure that master degree requirement will be dropped out. but earning issue will remain. :/
I think same too, otherwise there would be almost no Tier 1 applicants.

push

Post by push » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:26 pm

mvent00 wrote:
silverTR wrote:i am definetly sure that master degree requirement will be dropped out. but earning issue will remain. :/
It will be difficult for the current Gov to go back on qualification requirement due to political reasons. They wouldnt want to be the laughing stock. I think that the Masters requirement will remain in place for some time to come. But I might be wrong + I am not sure if the recommendations of MAC are binding?
regards,
push

lilly09

Post by lilly09 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Ok, somebody explain me why is this a good thing????

I just graduated and from my student visa switched to a PSW. It will be tough finding a job that will give me enough salary to pass because I am a recent graduate and this is concerning.
If for the job in the band 20-25k they're going to award only 5 points, whats going to be done with me?
Furthermore I only got a BSc so the other bad news according to these sources is that the points I will be rewarded for that will be less.

So should I just pack my bags and go home then?

Also are you really so good as to have little qualification (explains your happiness in earning less points for academia) and get top notch salaries of 50K (so you want to be given credit for that)?

I really do not get it..........

FardeenK
Newly Registered

Post by FardeenK » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:44 pm

vip wrote:

Do you think the new rule will affect to only people who firstly enter into the UK to look for jobs? Those who have already stayed in the UK are exempted from this new rule, Right???
I think so. Just take a look at the table 6.5 (sorry i don't know how to copy paste an image here)

In this table, for Bachelor degree holder's old application, it says "N/A". That means, people who are currenty waiting to apply for an extention of their application are either Master's or PhD as they took away Bachelor before. So, I hope, the changes are only for new applications and will not affect the people who already hold the tier 1 - general visa and waiting to apply for an extention.

What do you think??? Please someone reply.

push

Post by push » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:07 am

Going by how they treated extension cases post earlier changes from HSMP to Tier-1 and then further changes to Tier-1, it might be safe to assume that the new rules will be applicable to new applicants only. I am not so sure about change in minimum earnings once someone is in UK on Tier-1.

Lets wait till we see (1) decision re these recommendations and (2) subsequent rules & guidelines
regards,
push

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:28 am

push wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
It will be difficult for the current Gov to go back on qualification requirement due to political reasons. They wouldnt want to be the laughing stock. I think that the Masters requirement will remain in place for some time to come. But I might be wrong + I am not sure if the recommendations of MAC are binding?
The government are already a laughing stock, just read the comments on various newspaper sites!

And the earnings increasing is a good thing not a bad thing. With 2.5m people currently unemployed we need less immigration right now and not more.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 am

push wrote: It will be difficult for the current Gov to go back on qualification requirement due to political reasons. They wouldnt want to be the laughing stock. I think that the Masters requirement will remain in place for some time to come. But I might be wrong + I am not sure if the recommendations of MAC are binding?
So, what would be the next possible step after these recommendations? Is it a standard protocol of HO to make changes, after getting the ideas of few professors?

silverTR
Norway

Post by silverTR » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:24 am

Actually it is all about what kind of applicants Government is targeting.
Ask yourself who do you prefer to migrate to your country in that kind of economical crises. A new graduate ? or experienced one.. According to MAC recommendations pdf to gov .. they are obviously trying to have experience well earned applicants. Because it is not so much .. they need to lower the educational requirement to Bsc. We all wait and see what will happen in couple of months. :roll:

lilly09

Post by lilly09 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:54 am

lilly09 wrote:Ok, somebody explain me why is this a good thing????

I just graduated and from my student visa switched to a PSW. It will be tough finding a job that will give me enough salary to pass because I am a recent graduate and this is concerning.
If for the job in the band 20-25k they're going to award only 5 points, whats going to be done with me?
Furthermore I only got a BSc so the other bad news according to these sources is that the points I will be rewarded for that will be less.

Also are you really so good as to have little qualification (explains your happiness in earning less points for academia) and get top notch salaries of 50K (so you want to be given credit for that)?

Is anyone going to explain to me why are you so enthusiastic about this, maybe I've not understood it right?

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 am

Moral of the story: Do not come to UK. UK does not want more. (UK wants cheap labour, young blood , your youth, experience and student fee to keep uni running but do not want more people).

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:21 am

lilly09 wrote:

Is anyone going to explain to me why are you so enthusiastic about this, maybe I've not understood it right?
It's fairly obvious why it's a good thing, by increasing the minimum salary requirement it will reduce the number of dross immigrants who end up working in Tescos.

THe truth right now is that the UK doesn't need immigration to anywhere near the same extent as we've had for the last 5-10 years following Labour's open door policy which meant that they flooded the labour market.

As you've got a degree, you can go home and earn a good wage, get experience and a better than average wage at home and help improve your home country instead of contributing to the brain drain.

lilly09

Post by lilly09 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:29 am

meats wrote:
lilly09 wrote:

It's fairly obvious why it's a good thing, by increasing the minimum salary requirement it will reduce the number of dross immigrants who end up working in Tescos.

THe truth right now is that the UK doesn't need immigration to anywhere near the same extent as we've had for the last 5-10 years following Labour's open door policy which meant that they flooded the labour market.

As you've got a degree, you can go home and earn a good wage, get experience and a better than average wage at home and help improve your home country instead of contributing to the brain drain.

Whats the avarage salary in the UK?

How can they award no points to anyone earning 30K pa?

Oh and trust me, you cant get that by working in Tescos.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:36 am

lilly09 wrote:
meats wrote:
lilly09 wrote:

Whats the avarage salary in the UK?

How can they award no points to anyone earning 30K pa?

Oh and trust me, you cant get that by working in Tescos.
The average salary in the UK for full time employees is actually around £32k. I would personally have the minimum limit as this and not the £25k that they're mentioning.

And no you can't get buy working in Tesco's. But right now we've got 20% of 16-24 year olds in this country unemployed and a fair chunk of those can't get jobs in supermarkets because immigrants are doing their 2nd and 3rd jobs in there to send more money back home.