ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change after marriage

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rao_Bang

Name change after marriage

Post by Rao_Bang » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:56 am

Hi Gurus,

I have tier1 visa.Now i am applying for dependent visa for my wife,kid.
According to my tradition, my surname will replace the my wife's surname.

Here is my question: All educational certificates, passport contain the old surname of my wife.

But in our marriage certificate, my surname replaced my wife's surname
is it create any problem?

in my kids birth certicate also my surname replaced my wife's surname

Please let me know your valuable suggestions.

Regards
Rao

[iD]

Re: Name change after marriage

Post by [iD] » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:13 am

Rao_Bang wrote:Hi Gurus,

I have tier1 visa.Now i am applying for dependent visa for my wife,kid.
According to my tradition, my surname will replace the my wife's surname.

Here is my question: All educational certificates, passport contain the old surname of my wife.

But in our marriage certificate, my surname replaced my wife's surname

in my kids birth certicate also my surname replaced my wife's surname

Please let me know your valuable suggestions.

Regards
Rao
A: she does not need educational documents for tier 1 dependant visa but if you still want to send them you can just mention in a cover letter (also there would be a section in application form asking for previous names just fill that up).

B: (thats my opinion) as you said after getting married she has your surname, Shouldn't she give that passport up and get a new one (or get the old one amended) with her "current" name on it??

C: If your kids birth certificate always had your surname then it's ok.
Goodluck.

onlyuk

Post by onlyuk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 am

I also have exactly the same case. I enquired here at forum and was suggested that I can provide an affidavit which will mention that wife's name is changed after marriage. and both the person are same.

Well i had time with me so i got my wife's passport change.

Now it's upto you that which option do u wanna go for. Obviously the second one is the safer if we compare two.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:36 am

onlyuk wrote:I also have exactly the same case. I enquired here at forum and was suggested that I can provide an affidavit which will mention that wife's name is changed after marriage. and both the person are same.

Now it's upto you that which option do u wanna go for. Obviously the second one is the safer if we compare two.
To me, not changing the name on the passport is illegal as it's not his wife's official name anymore
Goodluck.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 am

[iD] wrote:
onlyuk wrote:I also have exactly the same case. I enquired here at forum and was suggested that I can provide an affidavit which will mention that wife's name is changed after marriage. and both the person are same.

To me, not changing the name on the passport is illegal as it's not his wife's official name anymore
It is not a legal requirement that a woman has to change her surname after her marriage. She can continue using her maiden name.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:03 am

aruni4470 wrote:
[iD] wrote:

It is not a legal requirement that a woman has to change her surname after her marriage. She can continue using her maiden name.
You're right that she does not need to change the name after getting married BUT in these cases they are saying that they changed the name after marriage, if they have, then they can't use the passport with the old name anymore, they have to get a new one with current name or get the passport amended.
Goodluck.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:22 am

Agreed. If one has changed her name legally (by producing a joint notarised affidavit on stamp paper, signed by a magistrate or a notary) after marriage then they have to change the name in the passport as well.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:26 am

aruni4470 wrote:Agreed. If one has changed her name legally (by producing a joint notarised affidavit on stamp paper, signed by a magistrate or a notary) after marriage then they have to change the name in the passport as well.
not only that, in the first post Rao_Bang stated that in the marriage certificate his wife has her new surname (personally I think marriage certificates should have maiden name but meh), So he, Rao_Bang needs to get his wife a new passport as she has a new surname now
Goodluck.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:59 am

Personally, I think the marriage certificate should have both the names 'before marriage' and 'after marriage' clearly mentioned. (mine does)

Also, having new surname on the marriage certificate doesnt mean she has new surname name legally unless and until the proper procedure is followed by producing a joint notarised affidavit on stamp paper, signed by a magistrate or a notary.