ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Study on Tier-1 General

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

abhikansh.jain
Newly Registered

Study on Tier-1 General

Post by abhikansh.jain » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Hello All,

I have tier-1 general valid till mid 2013. I am Indian and currently I am working in london. I want to sudy full-time MBA(1 year) and have few questions..

1. Do i need to surrender tier-1 and convert it to student visa?
2. If yes, then what after MBA completion?
3. Can I get student loan from uk?

Thanks
John

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:50 pm

answers to your questions:

1. Although tier 1 general is for skilled work in UK. However if you decide to start studying then there is no one stopping you a such but this against the spirit if you are only studying full time and not working at all. However if you are working part time and studying full time then this is more suitable for you. And if you are working full time and studying part time thats more reasonable thing to do.

2. After MBA completion apply for visa extension of tier 1 general or switch to student visa (i am not sure if switching is allowed) else fly back to your home contry

3. You can not get stuy loan however there is no one stopping you in applying personal loan with any high street bank in UK, if you have good credit history you should get it. Mind you personal loans are not given for studying full time.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:09 am

rizwan567 wrote:this against the spirit if you are only studying full time and not working at all.
Your application for extension will be judged by the rules in place at the time, ie do you meet the requirements for extension and can you provide evidence for this. So, if you are able to earn enough money while studying your MBA then you should be fine.

If you were not allowed to study while on Tier 1 this would be specified as a condition of the visa, and it isn't.

viper555
Newly Registered

Post by viper555 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 am

Hi

You can study full time under Tier1. There are no restrictions that can stop you from doing that.
All you need to be careful is that you leave atleast 15 months of valid visa after your MBA completion so that you will be eligible for extension by the end. (depends on how soon you can get a job after MBA!)
Please pm me if you need any further info. I've been through this stage 2 years back :)

cheers

slopsy
Newly Registered

Post by slopsy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:56 am

viper555 wrote:Hi

You can study full time under Tier1. There are no restrictions that can stop you from doing that.
All you need to be careful is that you leave atleast 15 months of valid visa after your MBA completion so that you will be eligible for extension by the end. (depends on how soon you can get a job after MBA!)
Please pm me if you need any further info. I've been through this stage 2 years back :)

cheers
Hi, I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, when I studied for an MSc (fulltime) in London. The only difference is that I was on an HSMP rather than the newer Tier-1 general visa.

I inquired with UKBA as to whether I could study on my HSMP visa, and received the following reply:

"If you wish to study in the UK from Oct 2008 [when the course started], prior to this date, you will be required to return to your home country and obtain Entry Clearance as a Student, regardless of the validity of your HSMP visa. If you wish to remain in the UK [without a student visa] you are required to meet the requirements of this visa (HSMP) which means you are not permitted to study."

Obviously this is a different experience to the chap above, in which case I was given very poor advice by UKBA (I had to fly back to New Zealand to get a student visa - rediculous!).

MPI

Re: Study on Tier-1 General

Post by MPI » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 pm

I am not sure about rules per studying along with tier 1 , but as a MBA holder , I don’t think it would practically be possible to do a tough course like MBA and work at same time( I don’t even suggest a part time work)

The other thing you may consider is doing an MBA , will take you off the market for a while , till you find a relevant ( potentially higher level ) job . Sounds ironic but market better absorbs experienced technical individuals than fresh MBA holders who have their heads in the clouds.

Well everyone’s situation is different but just to give you heads up that after your course it may take longer to find a job matching to your newly gained skills , and that’s when you have only a year to gather salary points.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:46 pm

HSMP visa is not for studies but if you want to study then you can not be caught as there is no such enforcement.

According to rules, You can not use HSMP visa for full time studies. If you will ask UKBA then ofcourse you will get the answer get the student visa if you want to study. Simple is that.

As I stated in my earlier post, study on HSMP is not allowed but it is against the spirit of visa.

italionstalion19
Newly Registered

want to do MBA after being on HSMP Tier 1 (General) visa

Post by italionstalion19 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:45 am

Hello Everyone,

Initially I went to UK in 2004 on student visa to pursue my bachelors then in Feb 2008 I switched to HSMP Tier1 (general) visa on the basis of my previous experience and earnings in India, my visa was valid for three years till may 2011. In 2009, I did finish my degree but was on a work permit from an year before. After that I worked there for nearly 2 years till this year April 2011.

Now, I am in INDIA and have applied to few good MBA universities in UK and got offer.

My question is --> after applying student visa, do you think that UK embassy officials could refuse my visa or ask me why have I switched to HSMP Tier 1 before finishing my degree in 2008 ?

To be honest, I did this because there was a provision in place and want to get benefit from it. From last one year I couldn't receive a good contract so I returned to India in the intention to go back in Sept 2011 on the student visa. I never violated any immigration rules!

please answer my query if you can :-)

Many thanks,

amitlsbu123

Post by amitlsbu123 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:53 am

One of my mate got his tier 1 visa extended he studied full time and completed his ACCA but in last 12 months he also worked full time because in first two years of visa he had completed his acca.

So, i think as long as you are meeting the requirement for extension it should not be a problem to get your tier 1 general visa extension.

Good luck anyway....

italionstalion19
Newly Registered

Post by italionstalion19 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:00 am

amitlsbu123 wrote:One of my mate got his tier 1 visa extended he studied full time and completed his ACCA but in last 12 months he also worked full time because in first two years of visa he had completed his acca.

So, i think as long as you are meeting the requirement for extension it should not be a problem to get your tier 1 general visa extension.

Good luck anyway....
My friend, I am not sure if you understood my point, I would like to go back on student visa to pursue my MBA not to get my Tier 1 extension.

hope this helps.

cheers