ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Oliver77
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by Oliver77 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:29 am

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) is a form of citizenship available to people of Indian origin living abroad. It grants certain privileges, such as lifelong visa-free travel to India, but does not include voting rights or eligibility for public office. status aims to foster connections between the Indian diaspora and their homeland while facilitating travel and engagement with India. [sso id](https://ssoportal.co/)

Alcatraz
Newly Registered
India

Post by Alcatraz » Sun May 26, 2024 8:16 pm

Dear team,

I have been reading about HCI London articles posted by members and done some research as well. I have reached to below conclusion but would like to understand if it makes sense to others or have experienced it.

Applying for RC with SC together (with SC receipt as proof)delays the process as RC is issued by MHA and they have to look up for SC in the system before issuing RC. SC gets issued by HCI London / Consulates.

Hence it makes more sense to wait for SC and then apply for RC so that MHA doesn't have to manually look up for SC before issuing RC.

RC = Renunciation Certifcate
SC = Surrender Certificate

Thanks !

indianbritish1234
Newly Registered
India

Post by indianbritish1234 » Tue May 28, 2024 4:41 am

This could be true. But there are advantages in applying for both these together, mainly the fact that you can do both these applications on the same day. If you live in a city that requires you to travel to VFS centres, it would make sense to finish both these applications on the same day, even if it means a potential slow processing of RC.

I did both the same day and I got my RC in roughly 3 months. I don’t know how long it might have taken if I applied for RC after receiving my SC.
Alcatraz wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:16 pm
Dear team,

I have been reading about HCI London articles posted by members and done some research as well. I have reached to below conclusion but would like to understand if it makes sense to others or have experienced it.

Applying for RC with SC together (with SC receipt as proof)delays the process as RC is issued by MHA and they have to look up for SC in the system before issuing RC. SC gets issued by HCI London / Consulates.

Hence it makes more sense to wait for SC and then apply for RC so that MHA doesn't have to manually look up for SC before issuing RC.

RC = Renunciation Certifcate
SC = Surrender Certificate

Thanks !

crazytester
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by crazytester » Wed May 29, 2024 10:45 am

Appointment date: 19/04/2024
Appointment location: Leicester (CGI Birmingham)
Acknowledgement: 23/04/2024
Passport & Original Surrender Certificate received back: N/A, I didn’t submit any originals.
Processed on: 29/05/2024
OCI Card received: Pending (DX Courier)

awesomeagni
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by awesomeagni » Wed May 29, 2024 1:20 pm

Hi All,

Looking for some guidance regarding OCI application form.
I am applying for OCI on the basis of "APPLYING ON OWN INDIAN ORIGIN- FORMER INDIAN PASSPORT HOLDER"

Following are my queries:
1. Is there any template for the employment proof to be submitted?
2. Are payslips required to be uploaded as well?
2. I am currently in the process of uploading documents. However, I do not see a category to upload documents like 'Naturalization certificate', 'Surrender certificate', etc.
Can anyone please suggest/advise which category/categories should 'Naturalization certificate', 'Surrender certificate', etc be uploaded to?
I have already uploaded my current passport and the renunciated/surrendered passport.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

crazytester
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by crazytester » Thu May 30, 2024 3:04 pm

awesomeagni wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 1:20 pm
Hi All,

I am applying for OCI on the basis of "APPLYING ON OWN INDIAN ORIGIN- FORMER INDIAN PASSPORT HOLDER"

I submitted a letter from HR that contains details such as my name, designation, start date, company information including contact number, and a brief description of my responsibilities in the current role.

Not required.

2. I am currently in the process of uploading documents. However, I do not see a category to upload
documents like 'Naturalization certificate', 'Surrender certificate', etc.

I merged the naturalisation certificate and passport into one PDF and uploaded it to the passport section. Similarly, I have uploaded the Indian passport, surrender, and renunciation documents to the Indian origin section. You can upload files to other categories if you cannot find one that matches your document.

Can anyone please suggest/advise which category/categories should 'Naturalization certificate', 'Surrender certificate', etc be uploaded to?
I have already uploaded my current passport and the renunciated/surrendered passport.

Thanks in advance.

awesomeagni
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by awesomeagni » Thu May 30, 2024 8:35 pm

crazytester wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 3:04 pm
awesomeagni wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 1:20 pm
Hi All,

I submitted a letter from HR that contains details such as my name, designation, start date, company information including contact number, and a brief description of my responsibilities in the current role.

Not required.

2. I am currently in the process of uploading documents. However, I do not see a category to upload
documents like 'Naturalization certificate', 'Surrender certificate', etc.

I merged the naturalisation certificate and passport into one PDF and uploaded it to the passport section. Similarly, I have uploaded the Indian passport, surrender, and renunciation documents to the Indian origin section. You can upload files to other categories if you cannot find one that matches your document.

Thanks in advance.
Thank you @crazytester

rlobo
Newly Registered

Post by rlobo » Fri May 31, 2024 11:53 am

rlobo wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:25 pm
RonV wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:21 pm
rlobo wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:27 pm
Hi All,

Can someone tell me where you are tracking the RC status?

I had submitted the online form, made an appointment at VFS Goswell and submitted all hard copies and received a receipt on 20th March.
When I now check the status (7th April) at https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/Renounce , the site basically tells me to go submit the documents.

I'm confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks!
Hi Rlobo,

That's quite normal, rest assured, you are looking at the correct website. The site normally takes days, sometimes weeks to update the current status of your application. Give it may be few more days and check again. I wouldn't be surprised if its still the same as now.

RonV
Very much appreciate the reassurance, @RonV! Huge relief that I don't have to re-do everything for RC.
Hello all, does anyone have knowledge of current timelines for RC? It's 2 months and 10 days since I applied for mine, and no sign of it yet. Application status says "Application Received" . Many thanks in advance.

Alcatraz
Newly Registered
India

Post by Alcatraz » Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:30 pm

You normally receive the RC in 3 months time. It is average time reported in forum. Did you apply after receiving SC or with SC receipt ?
rlobo wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 11:53 am
rlobo wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:25 pm
RonV wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:21 pm
rlobo wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:27 pm
Hi All,

Can someone tell me where you are tracking the RC status?

I had submitted the online form, made an appointment at VFS Goswell and submitted all hard copies and received a receipt on 20th March.
When I now check the status (7th April) at https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/Renounce , the site basically tells me to go submit the documents.

I'm confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks!
Hi Rlobo,

That's quite normal, rest assured, you are looking at the correct website. The site normally takes days, sometimes weeks to update the current status of your application. Give it may be few more days and check again. I wouldn't be surprised if its still the same as now.

RonV
Very much appreciate the reassurance, @RonV! Huge relief that I don't have to re-do everything for RC.
Hello all, does anyone have knowledge of current timelines for RC? It's 2 months and 10 days since I applied for mine, and no sign of it yet. Application status says "Application Received" . Many thanks in advance.

crazytester
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by crazytester » Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:02 pm

crazytester wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 10:45 am
Appointment date: 19/04/2024
Appointment location: Leicester (CGI Birmingham)
Acknowledgement: 23/04/2024
Passport & Original Surrender Certificate received back: N/A, I didn’t submit any originals.
Processed on: 29/05/2024
OCI Card received: 07/06/2024

MM85
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MM85 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:05 pm

Hi. Does anyone know how to track the progress of an application for OCI after it is submitted at VFS? Staff at VFS centre attached a sticker to receipt with two codes at the end of my appointment four days ago. One is the file reference number from the online submission, the other is four letters / date / four numbers / two numbers. I have looked at the VFS website and the government OCI page, but neither accepts these codes. Simply states No Record Found. All previous posts on this forum show next day acknowledgement. Should I be worried about the application and my original documents?

coolguy_83

Post by coolguy_83 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:51 pm

Hi, The file reference number of your application and passport number is required for tracking the status of the OCI application.