ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport and OCI for child

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

n_dinesh
Newly Registered

British passport and OCI for child

Post by n_dinesh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Hello

I am British citizen by naturalization and hold a OCI.My wife still holds a Indian passport with ILR.

We are planning to have our child in India due to personal reasons.I have couples of queries with regard to my child's nationality and route to obtain British passport as well as OCI.

a) If the child is born outside of UK and one of the parent is a British Citizen, is the child eligible for British nationality and British citizen passport.

b) I understand getting a British passport outside of UK is very time consuming.Is there a way, I can apply for the child's passport from UK while the child is in India.

c)As I hold a OCI,can i also directly apply for a OCI for my child from India referring my cancelled Indian passport,OCI and Surrender certificate

Thanks & Regards
Dins

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:23 pm

1. A child born outside UK to British parent will be British by descent.
2. No.
3. Yes, at the nearest FRRO.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi,

I am in similar situation. I and my wife are British citizen with OCI. I want to apply OCI for my 6 month old baby who have british passport. What supporting document do I need to produce for baby's OCI application?

Would my OCI along with my british passport copy enough as supporting document?