ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for OCI but Indian passport is expiring in 2 weeks

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dikushah82
Newly Registered

Applying for OCI but Indian passport is expiring in 2 weeks

Post by dikushah82 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:59 am

Hello,

Quick question, I got my surrender certificate and ready to apply for OCI but my Indian passport is about to expire (in 2 weeks time) and it will be good if someone can advice me on the below,

1. Do I need to renew my passport before I apply for OCI?
2. I'm bit confused, do I really need to renew my passport once I get OCI? I mean if I get my OCI Life long visa stamp on my current passport (which expires in 2 weeks time) so in future when I'm travelling to India do I need to have a non expired Indian passport or my British passport and OCI stamp on expired passport is sufficient ?

Thanks.

ban.s

Re: Applying for OCI but Indian passport is expiring in 2 we

Post by ban.s » Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 am

dikushah82 wrote:Hello,

Quick question, I got my surrender certificate and ready to apply for OCI but my Indian passport is about to expire (in 2 weeks time) and it will be good if someone can advice me on the below,

2. I'm bit confused, do I really need to renew my passport once I get OCI? I mean if I get my OCI Life long visa stamp on my current passport (which expires in 2 weeks time) so in future when I'm travelling to India do I need to have a non expired Indian passport or my British passport and OCI stamp on expired passport is sufficient ?

Thanks.
how can you have a surrender certificate and an indian passport?

dikushah82
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for OCI but Indian passport is expiring in 2 we

Post by dikushah82 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:02 am

ban.s wrote:
dikushah82 wrote:Hello,

Thanks.
how can you have a surrender certificate and an indian passport?
As a result of a surrender process, I got a letter and my original passport which has stamp that on the page 3 that it has been revoked or something like that and top right corner of the passport front page cut down. I guess that marks down that this passport has been invalidated and surrendered.

dikushah82
Newly Registered

Post by dikushah82 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 am

I think I just got confused and I don't need to worry about my Indian passport at all once the surrender process has been done.

I guess OCI stamp comes on the UK passport, right?

can some one please confirm?

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Thu May 09, 2013 10:02 am

Ofcourse it does, you are no longer an INDIAN anymore ....

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 am

dikushah82 wrote:I think I just got confused and I don't need to worry about my Indian passport at all once the surrender process has been done.

I guess OCI stamp comes on the UK passport, right?

can some one please confirm?
that's correct - you don't need to worry about the cancelled indian passport anymore. you won't even need that for OCI application - surrender certificate is sufficient.
OCI sticker will be on your british passport.

dikushah82
Newly Registered

Thank you.

Post by dikushah82 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:13 am

Thank you very much.