ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Experience London

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

VR

OCI Experience London

Post by VR » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:17 pm

Folks,

Submitted OCI today. Experience shared for benefit of others;

Reached at 6.30AM to find two parallel queues with about 15 people lined up in each.(To the right of the Entrance door)

On the opposite side there was a single queue at the windows for OCI collection (To the left of the entrance Door)

It started drizzling first , windy and chill. Then full downpore. There was movement within the embassy but they do not let you in until 8.30 sharp, rain or flood you are like goats at the mercy of the elements.

At 8.30 sharp the Left side queue which is for visa applications was let in. Followed by the OCI applicants The Right Side Queue. Given that about 50 of the visa applicants already went in, there was a scamper and scarcity of seats.

At the entrance, they ask to see the folder and to open the bags for security check and hand over a token. You go downstairs to the counters.

Indians are unique wherever they go. There was an entire row of chairs ''reserved'' with handkeys and newspapers for folks coming shortly (I mean ones standing way behind in the OCI queue for whom their friends ahead had reserved seats). I did not want to make an issue and so found myself a seat in a back row. Considering that many were sitting on the floor this was a plus.

Inbetween there was a fish market announcement,'' Those of you who want to take photocopies, please go now and we only accept cash so go to withdraw now''.

What they dont tell you is that if you do not give them exact 175GBP the fees they wont return the change. Luckily I met a bunny in the queue who was making a second trip who warned me before hand. And whilst in the queue there are people asking for two fives please etc.

The counters finally opened at 9.30. Counter numbers 1,4 and 5 were for OCI, Counter 1 is not linked to the computer and so does not appear on the service panel. They announced numbers 405 to 410 please go to counter 1 and please follow the announcements.

The whole thing happened quickly. Was out in about 15 mins . They ask to see the Original Cancellation Certificate. Give you a printed receipt. Strangely the lady in the counter says ''Check online after 6 weeks'' when their website says for in person applications the processing should be completed in 4 weeks.

For those going to collect their OCI again it is a pain in the butt :lol:

You need to go there and submit your passport along with a printout of the Online status check plus the Paper receipt they gave. You then have to return in the noon, which means your whole days is a goner.

India they say is making strides in IT. Why cant they introduce an online booking system with specific slots?

It got very crowded by 8.30AM. You could feel the heat in the room and lack of air.

Good Luck to those of you who plan to make a trip. For People from Milton Keynes, Bedford, Harpenden, St Albans the best way to go is to Catch the trains going to City Thames Link. This is the stop after Farringdon and not the West Hampstead Thameslink which is before Kentish Town.

Once you get off at City Thames link you go up an escalator and as you come out of the station, you turn left and immedately reach a cross junction. Cross that and keep going straight and in about 600 metres you will find the Indian Embassy on the Right hand side behind the Inland Revenue Service.

cheers
vr

PS: Amidst all this ruckus there was an ongoing protest by Gay Rights activists against an Indian Court Ruling making it a criminal offence. :shock:

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Great VR

I'm off to go soon but I did commit a mistake, did not fill out employers name while filling address on part- A, so thinking if I need to re-submit, would that be okay? don't know

How many copies of part-a? part B etc... you submit...and what else they asked...would be very helpful if you let us know...

VR

OCI details

Post by VR » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Forbc123,

I took with me only one copy and submitted.No issues.
For Question 19 Just put Professional and
For Question 20 give your permanent address.

I do not understand how this will be relevant for the purpose of getting a OCI visa??? :D

They cant say that only if you have an employer you will be granted the OCI visa!! Can they? Sometimes some wise crack conjures up such idiosyncratic questions as part of the pot.

All they asked was to see the Original Surrender Certificate!! I was hoping a cute lassie sitting next to me was going to enquire about my age?? LOL
cheers
vr

forbc123

Post by forbc123 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Cool Thanks VR

I saw some professions like IT engineers working for government are not allowed to apply in the guidance I'm not working for govt. though...so thought may be it is relevant :)

Good to see they asked only for one copy

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:04 pm

If you work for government, don't tell them. :wink:

What if someone is Trainee Assistant Junior Engineer Research and Develoment ?

How would they fit the occupaton in OCI card?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 pm

you'll have to choose from a list of very limited options and 'professional' will most likely be the closest match.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote: Trainee Assistant Junior Engineer Research and Development
H
Thanks.

BTW that was a hypothetical question. Guess it would be ok to put TAJERD

samkma
Member of Standing

Re: OCI Experience London

Post by samkma » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:23 pm

VR wrote:Folks,

.... whilst in the queue there are people asking for two fives please etc.
Must be a Tenner then! :!: :lol: :lol:
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho

VR

You could have easily made a tenner profit

Post by VR » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Samkma,

Not a joke m8! :D Some were in a state of shock after having reached the counter and to realize they will have to tender exact change.

Two fives for a twenty will easily work in the melee. :lol: Dont be surprised if some wisecrack working in there takes it up as a gainful passtime!!
cheers
vr

lifofifo

Re: OCI Experience London

Post by lifofifo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:47 am

VR wrote:What they dont tell you is that if you do not give them exact 175GBP the fees they wont return the change. Luckily I met a bunny in the queue who was making a second trip who warned me before hand. And whilst in the queue there are people asking for two fives please etc.
This was certainly not the case 2 weeks ago. I had £180 in cash and it was accepted without any questions and a fiver was returned promptly.

VR

Ipsofacto

Post by VR » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 am

Dear Lifofifo,

You were lucky. I witnessed this first hand at the twin counters (4 and 5) whilst there. Also prior to the opening of the counters a few times they made announcements asking folks to go and withdraw cash and even then they did not mention that they need Exact change to be tendered.
cheers
vr