ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport & OCI for baby born in India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

maze_bc
Newly Registered

British Passport & OCI for baby born in India

Post by maze_bc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi,
I am a British Citizen by naturalization and my wife is an Indian citizen holding a PR. Our baby was born in India and we got her Indian passport (as mother is Indian) and our little one is now in UK.

As I am a British citizen I presume that my little one gets British citizenship automatically so will apply her British passport shortly. My question was around OCI application process.

1. Indian high commission website states that I will need a naturalization certificate however my little one will not have one as she gets her British citizenship automatically.
2. Also found that the naturalization certificate will be required to get her Indian passport surrender certificate.

Can some one please let me know what is the process I need to follow in this situation.

Thanks.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: British Passport & OCI for baby born in India

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:43 pm

First of all this is not a British naturalisation query. You should have posted in Other Countries section. Mods can move this thread to the right section.

You have not read fully and correctly. I suggest you read the information once again. It is crystal clear.

It says you have to either submit your (applicant-in this case your child) proof of Indian origin, or Parents proof. So your childs application will be submitted with your child's parent (your's) proof of Indian citizenship. So, your surrender certificate, plus your chid's full birth certificate to establish relationship with person of Indian origin.

By the way, your whole plan is doomed. There is no known way of surrendering Indian passport in India. Also to apply for OCI in India, the applicant should have a valid visa for India, which your child does not have.

So, you need to apply for your child's British passport. Could take 4 months to an year to an unlimited period of time to obtain it.

Then you will have to surrender child's Indian passport, if you can find where to surrender it. By the way if you find out, let us know.

Then you need to obtain an Indian visa on child's British passport. Work out how to do it.

Then apply for OCI.

The whole process could take a decade.

I would say, you rather go and fly to the moon and be the first Indian to set foot on moon, which is a piece of cake compared to what you intend with your child's OCI.

maze_bc
Newly Registered

Post by maze_bc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Hi Ayyubi72,

Many thanks for your response.

I think you have misread my question. My baby is not in India however was born in India. I have got a ILR for my baby and my child is now in the UK. My question was around the process of getting her a OCI from UK once I have got her British passport here in the UK.

Thanks

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Sorry, my fault.

Smelling too many chemicals at work. :(

In that case, when you surrender, just include a simple covering letter explaining the situation, and you will be fine. Do not write a long story, just a brief explanation.

Do the same with OCI application. When you go to submit OCI application, make sure you have all your child's documents, and all your documents, original and phtocopies. You never know what HCI might ask. Might be couple of pounds wasted on photocopies, but its worth spending couple of pounds to avoid another visit to HCI.

maze_bc
Newly Registered

Post by maze_bc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:36 am

Thanks a lot for your response Ayyubi72.