ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"New Visa" for British baby born in India to OCI parents

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

H_manatee
Newly Registered

"New Visa" for British baby born in India to OCI parents

Post by H_manatee » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:48 am

Long story.... let me give a crack at précis-writing.

My wife and I are naturalised British Citizens of Indian origin holding OCI. My wife gave birth to a baby girl in July 2014 in India and we applied for the baby's British passport early September (2014) from India (through VFS as per the new process) and are still waiting for the passport hoping it will arrive by end of Feb (6 months). I am in the UK while my wife and the baby are still in India. If interested, you can read more on this here: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 71764.html.

Assuming the baby's passport will arrive by end of Feb, we are doing preliminary plans to attend a close family event in South Africa early April. While both my wife and I will need to apply for the SA tourist visa, I am in some sort of dilemma about my baby daughter's legal status in India once she travels to SA. I don't think we will have sufficient time to apply for OCI (within 30 days) hence will need to go for some sort of entry clearance visa for the baby to re-enter India. The intention is that my wife and the baby will travel back to India after the event (while I return to the UK) however not really sure what will happen to my baby with regard to her entry back into India.

Has anyone gone through this before? Any thoughts?

We called up FRRO in India in this regard. They said along with the "Exit visa", we can also apply for the "New Visa" for the baby even before leaving India so that the baby can re-enter into India without any hassles -apparently babies born to parents of Indian origin can get this visa as long as we furnish all the evidence. But I am yet to get convinced as such cases are very rare -there isn't any reference material on the internet and the MHA website itself does not provide much information. On top of this, I am not sure if the emigration authorities in South Africa will create any problems with regards to baby's papers while exiting SA. Applying for a new Indian visit visa while being in South Africa seems to be a gamble as we do not know how easy it is or how long it will take.

My question is what would be the best approach other than, of course, not travelling? Of course, there is a possibility, the mother and the baby can return directly to the UK from SA but I was not planning on bringing them back to the UK until after mid summer.

ilrtier1

Re: "New Visa" for British baby born in India to OCI parents

Post by ilrtier1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi
Have you got your child's British passport?