ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI with dual citizenship

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gbhsmp

OCI with dual citizenship

Post by gbhsmp » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi,

If I am a dual citizen (say both British and Candian ), how do I travel to Canada if my OCI points to British passport ?

I travel from UK -> INDIA , INDIA -> Canada

The in-stamp (INDIA) will be in British passport (OCI connected to British passport )
If I go to Canada, what am I supposed to do ? I cannot show British passport to immigration officer since that does not give me the right to go to Canada for work. I cannot show Canada passport since that does not have the In-stamp in INDIA and not conneted to OCI

I can book a flight with transit in UK as a work-around but what is the official way ? anybody ?

geriatrix

Re: OCI with dual citizenship

Post by geriatrix » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Use the Canadian passport to enter Canada. If asked about absence of immigration stamps of the country of embarkation verifying your travel, show your British passport with both the in and out (Indian immigration) stamps.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

gbhsmp

Post by gbhsmp » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:56 am

but how do I go out of INDIA ? Show British passport while travel to Canada ?
Wont the immigration verify my eligibility to go the destination coutry during emigration ?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:04 am

Show British passport and OCI when departing from UK.
When entering and exiting India, show both passports and OCI, and tell the IO that your OCI is issued on the British passport.
When entering Canada, show both passports and OCI, and tell the IO that since OCI is issued on British passport the in/out stamps confirming your India travel are in the British passport.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!