ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport- travelling to india

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

drpbalaji1960

British passport- travelling to india

Post by drpbalaji1960 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 am

Hi All
Pls advice on my situation. recently got my british passport for my family. travelling to india for school holidays. looking at the time span for getting the surrender certificate i think its not possible. can i just apply for indian visa and travel to india and after coming back and then starting the process of surrenderring indian passport and getting the OCI card.

Grateful for ur advice
Thanks

secret.simon

Re: British passport- travelling to india

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 am

Unlikely if you were born in India and that place of birth is mentioned in your passport. That will prompt either the VFS staff or the High Commission to double-check if you have an outstanding Indian passport.

I believe that a surrender certificate takes a working week to process and an X-visa, which allows you to enter India as a former Indian citizen, a further week. Do you have two weeks till your travel?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

drpbalaji1960

Post by drpbalaji1960 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 pm

Looking at the VFS website for surrender of indian passport it's not clear about the timespan od receiving the surrender certificate. i'm not sure i would be able get the surrender certificate and apply for the indian visa before my travel to india. if thats the case what would be my option. pls advice.

Thanks

elvampiro

Post by elvampiro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:44 pm

I surrendered my passport at VFS Hounslow, got it in exactly 7 days.
I was told at the counter that it could take up to 10 working days.

Appointments at Hounslow are easy, but whether or not you can apply there depends on where you live.