ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Passport renewal process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rudra83
Newly Registered
India

Indian Passport renewal process

Post by rudra83 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Hello All,

Need your help. I have submitted my Indian passport renewal application on https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html. When I check on the link to track status, it just says the application is submitted.

My queries:
1. Do we get any email on next steps with list of documents to be submitted? If not, is there link where I check these? I am updating my address back in India (have Aadhar as proof), and also adding spouse name (have marriage certificate as proof).

2. I tried booking an appointment on https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/appointment.php but no slots available.

Thanks in advance,
Rudra.

Vk8787
Newly Registered
India

Re: Indian Passport renewal process

Post by Vk8787 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:02 pm

If you have submitted your application. Next steps are
1) Start preparing all your documents as listed in the VFS site. They have a list of 8 documents / items to be carried on the appointment day.
2) Try checking the website for appointment after 5 PM UK daily, it is tough but you will get appointment.

To answer your question: You will not get any email from them about the next steps.

Hope this helps

rudra83
Newly Registered
India

Post by rudra83 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:48 pm

Thank you so much for the reply.

I was able to book an appointment for 10th June 2021.

Regards,
Rudra.
Vk8787 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:02 pm
If you have submitted your application. Next steps are
1) Start preparing all your documents as listed in the VFS site. They have a list of 8 documents / items to be carried on the appointment day.
2) Try checking the website for appointment after 5 PM UK daily, it is tough but you will get appointment.

To answer your question: You will not get any email from them about the next steps.

Hope this helps

Azraa
Newly Registered

Post by Azraa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi everyone, hope you're well.

This is the first time I am posting on this website so I'm unsure about whether I've posted this in the right place however today my husband attended his appointment to renew his Indian passport at the VFS Manchester centre. So I thought I'd share the details here in the hopes that it helps others who may also be doing the same and to ease their worries.

In the application pack we included:
1 application form completed online and printed - in this we included his Indian address and in the 'other address' section I added his UK address. The rest of the form seemed pretty straight forward.
4 2 inch x 2 inch photos - we did not stick these down. The person at the counter did this and had a glue stick although I took one in case.
1 copy of the Annexure E form - we included the UK address on this.
1 copy of the PPF form - initially I wrote 2 indian references but at the centre my husband was asked to cross one out and add a UK reference instead.
original proof of address- an electricity bill.
Indian passport and a photo copy of the front and last page.
his BRP and a photocopy of the front and the back.
Original marriage registration certificate and 1 photocopy too.
We also included a copy of the signed declaration form - however they did not need this.

Other points to consider:
As his form included my name as his spouse he was also asked for a photocopy of my passport which we luckily took with us.
He was also asked to photocopy the page in his passport which showed his initial UK entry visa
As my husband has grown a beard in lockdown, he was also asked for old passport photos but we didn't have any with us and so they made do with his Indian passport picture and made him sign a declaration to state that it was the same person basically.
I took spare copies of the PPF form in case he was asked to fill it out again.

More info: photocopying there costs 50p per page. The DX courier for just his passport cost £12.50 we let them keep the electricity bill but all other original documents were returned to him. In total he was charged £88.50 including text messages, courier, consular charges, V.A.T and passport renewal fee.

I hope this helps anyone who found the VFS website as vague as I did, if you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

driptodada
Newly Registered
India

Post by driptodada » Mon May 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Did he have to pay 22 GBP to sign that declaration that he's the same person, on account of his beard? i was asked i have the option to add the declaration, but declined. Luckily, it wasn't required for me, as I got my passport in 3 days under the Tatkaal scheme.

Azraa
Newly Registered

Post by Azraa » Mon May 10, 2021 5:16 pm

No he didn't have to pay for the declaration.

shri215
Newly Registered
India

Post by shri215 » Sun May 23, 2021 3:47 pm

Azraa wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:21 pm

This is the first time I am posting on this website so I'm unsure about whether I've posted this in the right place however today my husband attended his appointment to renew his Indian passport at the VFS Manchester centre. So I thought I'd share the details here in the hopes that it helps others who may also be doing the same and to ease their worries.

1 application form completed online and printed - in this we included his Indian address and in the 'other address' section I added his UK address. The rest of the form seemed pretty straight forward.
4 2 inch x 2 inch photos - we did not stick these down. The person at the counter did this and had a glue stick although I took one in case.
1 copy of the PPF form - initially I wrote 2 indian references but at the centre my husband was asked to cross one out and add a UK reference instead.
We also included a copy of the signed declaration form - however they did not need this.

As his form included my name as his spouse he was also asked for a photocopy of my passport which we luckily took with us.
He was also asked to photocopy the page in his passport which showed his initial UK entry visa
As my husband has grown a beard in lockdown, he was also asked for old passport photos but we didn't have any with us and so they made do with his Indian passport picture and made him sign a declaration to state that it was the same person basically.

More info: photocopying there costs 50p per page. The DX courier for just his passport cost £12.50 we let them keep the electricity bill but all other original documents were returned to him. In total he was charged £88.50 including text messages, courier, consular charges, V.A.T and passport renewal fee.

I hope this helps anyone who found the VFS website as vague as I did, if you have any questions please feel free to ask :)
Hope he received the new passport. How long did it take to get the new passport ? , i.e after submitting the docs at VFS centre ?

Azraa
Newly Registered

Post by Azraa » Sun May 23, 2021 5:05 pm

It was submitted on 28th April and he received it in the post signed for on 18th may.

rudra83
Newly Registered
India

Post by rudra83 » Mon May 24, 2021 8:56 am

Hello Azraa,

Thank you so much for this. Few more queries if you can help me with.

1. In the application form, I have included the same Indian address in both sections. Hope that is fine, or is that it has to be UK address?

2. PPF form - The address in 8a) & 8b) are Indian address right?

3. Original Proof of address - I have Aadhar card, SBI, HDFC bank statements. This should be ok right?

Thanks in advance,
Rudra.
Azraa wrote:

shri215
Newly Registered
India

Post by shri215 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:21 am

Azraa wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:05 pm
It was submitted on 28th April and he received it in the post signed for on 18th may.
Thank you

Azraa
Newly Registered

Post by Azraa » Mon May 24, 2021 9:31 am

Hi Rudra,

On the application form if you live in the UK then I recommend putting your indian address as the main address and your UK address in the 'other' section, the reason for this is as you live in the UK you will need to state this somewhere but by doing it in this way your usual indian address is what will be printed on your passport.

On the PPF form on 8a I put my husband's indian address and then as he currently resides in the UK I put his UK address on 8b.

As for proof of address, my husband took a UK proof of address e.g uk electricity bill which they kept as he didnt have a copy and didn't send back either.

Also just an FYI they did do the police verification in India and asked for a bunch of things to be submitted by a family member at their local police station.

rudra83
Newly Registered
India

Post by rudra83 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:12 pm

HI Azraa,

Well I tried but does not allow me to change anything in the application now since I submitted it. I guess I will make a fresh application than.

For address, will carry all of it, Indian as well as UK.

Thanks for the heads up about police verification. Will keep my parents informed.

Regards,
Rudraksha.
Azraa wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:31 am
Hi Rudra,

On the application form if you live in the UK then I recommend putting your indian address as the main address and your UK address in the 'other' section, the reason for this is as you live in the UK you will need to state this somewhere but by doing it in this way your usual indian address is what will be printed on your passport.

On the PPF form on 8a I put my husband's indian address and then as he currently resides in the UK I put his UK address on 8b.

As for proof of address, my husband took a UK proof of address e.g uk electricity bill which they kept as he didnt have a copy and didn't send back either.

Also just an FYI they did do the police verification in India and asked for a bunch of things to be submitted by a family member at their local police station.

Azraa
Newly Registered

Post by Azraa » Mon May 24, 2021 4:54 pm

Yes you can't edit the form once its submitted, I made a fresh application to edit the details and gave them that application print out. They wont see the other form unless they have the application number for it so it's okay to make another one.

rudra83
Newly Registered
India

Post by rudra83 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:43 am

Great! that was supposed to be my question as I have the appointment booked with VFS already. I will make a new application right way.

One last question, for question 9 in the PPF, I am current address since last 6 months. Before that I was for a month at friends place, hotel as I was searching for a place. And prior to that I was in my home address in India. I believe I will have to provide details for all of it, correct?

Thanks again all the help :-)

Regards,
Rudraksha.
Azraa wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:54 pm
Yes you can't edit the form once its submitted, I made a fresh application to edit the details and gave them that application print out. They wont see the other form unless they have the application number for it so it's okay to make another one.

ajaysingh1990
Newly Registered
India

Post by ajaysingh1990 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:40 pm

Azraa wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:54 pm
Hi Azraa

When did you first get any email or SMS from VFS after submission? I've submitted my application but haven't got sms/email from them.

Also, were you able to track the application from the vfs website using this link on this page https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/afte ... ssion.html ? Or did you use the HCI/Embassy site to track the application?

Thanks for your help.

rudra83
Newly Registered
India

Post by rudra83 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:04 am

Hello All,

Update for my application of re-issue of passport which is due to expire as below:
  • I successfully submitted it on 10th June 2021 at VFS Goswell in London.
  • For the references on PPF form, I was told to erase the UK references and write Indian references.
  • I had requested address change update - so provided Aadhar card copy.
  • I had requested adding spouse name on passport - this requires spouse passport copy & marriage certificate copy.
  • I had asked if I need to fill out all previous address up to 1 year on PPF form and the response was that it is not required. What is important is you list out the correct Indian address details.
  • I asked about police verification in India, and I was told that is done only if they feel it is required basis the proof submitted.
  • I have payed extra for the email/sms tracking once the passport is out for delivery. One does not get any sms or email for successful submission. You can check the submission status on https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html where you made the application.
  • It took around 30 minutes out of which 20 minutes was waiting time. Total cost was £80.44 , including the passport renewal, courier and sms/email tracking charges.

List of documents submitted:
- Application form
- PPF form
- Annexure E form
- Signed declaration form
- Original Passport of applicant
- Passport copy of applicant (front and last page, UK entry visa page)
- 2 Photos (2inch X 2inch), 1 pasted on the application form and 1 pasted on the PPF form
- BRP copy
- Thames water bill for UK address
- Aadhar Card copy (for permanent address change - Indian address)
- Marriage certificate copy (for updating spouse name on passport)
- Spouse Passport copy (front and last page, for update spouse name on passport)

Hope that helps.

Rudraksha

Azraa
Newly Registered

Post by Azraa » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 am

Hi Rudraksha,

Apologies I forgot to reply to your earlier post, they probably sent one text message when saying they will do the police verification and another to say you'll receive your passport in the post however I'm not sure if that one is from the delivery company. Yes that's how I checked the status but apart from that no other updates.

I'm glad you were able to submit your application.

rudra83
Newly Registered
India

Post by rudra83 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:05 am

I got my passport on 22nd June 2021, so a total of 12 days including the weekends. I was able to track the status of application successfully on https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html

And no problem Azraa. Thanks for all your help here.

Regards,
Rudra.
Azraa wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 am
Hi Rudraksha,

Apologies I forgot to reply to your earlier post, they probably sent one text message when saying they will do the police verification and another to say you'll receive your passport in the post however I'm not sure if that one is from the delivery company. Yes that's how I checked the status but apart from that no other updates.

I'm glad you were able to submit your application.

taeyeon
Newly Registered
India

Post by taeyeon » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:12 am

Hello all,

I'm going to be renewing my passport in Manchester soon. I was wondering if it was still possible to provide VFS with self-addressed royal mail special delivery envelopes to post our old and new passports back? I really dislike DX because they required me to take a day off work as they would only hand over my passport to me (this was for my BRP). Thanks.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:20 pm

taeyeon wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:12 am
Hello all,

I'm going to be renewing my passport in Manchester soon. I was wondering if it was still possible to provide VFS with self-addressed royal mail special delivery envelopes to post our old and new passports back? I really dislike DX because they required me to take a day off work as they would only hand over my passport to me (this was for my BRP). Thanks.
Yes you can, without any issues.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

rishi30
Newly Registered
India

Post by rishi30 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:03 pm

Hi,

Did you leave column 9 empty in PPF? And what documents did your husband's family had to submit to the local police station in India? I will inform my family so that they are ready.

Thank you

Azraa wrote:

taeyeon
Newly Registered
India

Post by taeyeon » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:39 pm

Just as an update for the thread, I renewed my passport last Friday at VFS in Manchester and they asked me to fill out one Indian and one UK reference on the police verification form. They also wanted my Indian address on the left hand column and UK address on the right.

Also they only required one Royal Mail prepaid envelope not two. So that's one envelope wasted.

Got an email from VFS today saying a decision has been made (7 days from submission). Fingers crossed my application has been approved!

taeyeon
Newly Registered
India

Post by taeyeon » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pm

So after no updates from the Royal Mail tracking number I called VFS today who told me they only get RM to collect passports from them once every 3 weeks!

So they said I'll have to wait another 3 weeks to receive my passport back. The person on the phone couldn't even give me a date when they are expecting the next pickup.

I've emailed VFS Birmingham (where my passport is apparently) to ask about this but does anyone else have any advice?

taeyeon
Newly Registered
India

Post by taeyeon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:00 am

Looks like the complaining helped. They sent out the passport yesterday and the postman just delivered it.

Yasmeena
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmeena » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:23 am

Hi everyone.
My husbands Indian passport expired in June 2021 and he has an appointment at Manchester Office next week. I read on the vfs website that he has to submit with the application a letter explaining why he did not apply for the passport earlier and let it expire!!?? Also do the photocopies of the original documents need to be self attested?? Again I read this on their website. Thanks in advance