ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Path to Surrender of Indian Passport to get OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

positiveme
United Kingdom

Path to Surrender of Indian Passport to get OCI

Post by positiveme » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:03 pm

Hi all

Could I please use your expertise to check if I got this right, to do the whole process correctly and rightly, please?

I am now working on surrendering Indian passport, renounce the Indian citizenship and then go for OCI. After reading various posts here, I have found the below process/steps to follow. If you could please update/correct or edit these from your knowledge, and experience, this will help me and anyone who needs it in future, from one single post than many to go through.

Step 1: Surrender of Indian Passport

1. Register online here - https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
2. Complete and Submit the application
3. Printout the completed form
4. Visit Application Processing Centre - appointment with VFS with the below documents (documents must be in the order as given here https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/in ... CKLIST.pdf):
  • Appointment Letter confirmation
  • 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • Online Application form (Applicant should sign in the box provided under the photograph on the front page and at the end of the application.
  • Indian Passport Original - Will be Retained and it will be cancelled and delivered along with the passport surrender certificate. Pay for secure delivery at the VFS counter or give Royal Mail return envelope?
  • Indian Passport photocopy – Photo page, address page and all the used pages and must be self-attested (only current passport)
  • Naturalisation Certificate Original - Checked and returned at the VFS counter
  • Naturalisation Certificate photocopy - self-attested
  • British Passport Original - Checked and returned at the VFS counter
  • British Passport photocopy – Main page only self-attested
    OR A declaration from the applicant stating “My UK passport is under process” [If the applicant’s British (or foreign) passport is under process].
  • VFS Declaration form
  • UK address proof (do they need it? Has anyone been asked for this? unsure step?
  • Online payment receipt if paid online. Never seen anyone being asked? Anyone can confirm please??
Step 2: Renunciation of Indian Citizenship

1. Complete the online form here - https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
2. Upload required documents - India Passport, address proof (have I missed anything?)
3. Pay the required fee
4. Book an appointment with nearby India Mission to sign the declaration form / sign the form for witnessing
5. Then book an appointment with VFS to submit the form for processing Renunciation Certificate.

Note - Step 1 and Step 2 - Online forms can be done together but Step 1 certificate must be attained before going to Step 2 appointment.

Step 3: OCI

1. Follow OCI steps (I will update once I have collected them all), after getting certificate from Step 2.
2. If needs to travel to India before getting OCI, one can get eVisa by using certificate from Step 1.

Many Thanks in advance and for all the info that is already provided on this wonderful forum.

SPbluez
Newly Registered

Re: Path to Surrender of Indian Passport to get OCI

Post by SPbluez » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 pm

Thanks for this.
I have surrendered my Indian passport today.

Do we need to book two separate appointments to renounce Indian Citizenship? (You have mentioned two separate appointments in Step 4 and Step 5) or can it be done in one single appointment at VFS Goswell?

Can anyone clarify this please?

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:04 am

unless you have surrender certificate with you, you cannot complete OCI and citizenship renunciation in a single application.

Spykii21
Newly Registered
India

Post by Spykii21 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:14 pm

SPbluez wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 pm
Thanks for this.

Do we need to book two separate appointments to renounce Indian Citizenship? (You have mentioned two separate appointments in Step 4 and Step 5) or can it be done in one single appointment at VFS Goswell?

This has to be two separate appointments and if you're lucky you can get it for same day.. Good luck

Happyness
Newly Registered
India

Post by Happyness » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:25 am

Hello ji,
Just wanted to know if we have to take self addressed special delivery envelopes for surrender of passport or some service is available at the Vfs.
Thankyou.

honestguy2020
India

Post by honestguy2020 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:06 am

That's my question too!
Even if they have a service, can we still take our royal mail envelope as it'll be cheaper 😉

The information on the HCI website isn't clear at all. They say surrender passpirt fee £20 need to be paid at VFS. It doesn't say if that includes the courier service or not.
Not great explain for sure.

Side note:

What do you make of my post/query here:
other-countries/indian-passport-surrend ... l#p2157720

sruthigl
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sruthigl » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:51 pm

positiveme wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:03 pm
Hi all

Could I please use your expertise to check if I got this right, to do the whole process correctly and rightly, please?

I am now working on surrendering Indian passport, renounce the Indian citizenship and then go for OCI. After reading various posts here, I have found the below process/steps to follow. If you could please update/correct or edit these from your knowledge, and experience, this will help me and anyone who needs it in future, from one single post than many to go through.

1. Register online here - https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
4. Visit Application Processing Centre - appointment with VFS with the below documents (documents must be in the order as given here https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/in ... CKLIST.pdf):
  • 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • Online Application form (Applicant should sign in the box provided under the photograph on the front page and at the end of the application.
  • Indian Passport Original - Will be Retained and it will be cancelled and delivered along with the passport surrender certificate. Pay for secure delivery at the VFS counter or give Royal Mail return envelope?
  • Indian Passport photocopy – Photo page, address page and all the used pages and must be self-attested (only current passport)
    OR A declaration from the applicant stating “My UK passport is under process” [If the applicant’s British (or foreign) passport is under process].
  • VFS Declaration form
  • UK address proof (do they need it? Has anyone been asked for this? unsure step?
  • Online payment receipt if paid online. Never seen anyone being asked? Anyone can confirm please??

1. Complete the online form here - https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
2. Upload required documents - India Passport, address proof (have I missed anything?)
3. Pay the required fee
4. Book an appointment with nearby India Mission to sign the declaration form / sign the form for witnessing
5. Then book an appointment with VFS to submit the form for processing Renunciation Certificate.

Note - Step 1 and Step 2 - Online forms can be done together but Step 1 certificate must be attained before going to Step 2 appointment.

1. Follow OCI steps (I will update once I have collected them all), after getting certificate from Step 2.
2. If needs to travel to India before getting OCI, one can get eVisa by using certificate from Step 1.

Many Thanks in advance and for all the info that is already provided on this wonderful forum.
Im jsut starting the process thanks for this post its very helpfull. So as i understand
Highlevel Steps are as follows :

1) Surrender indian passport
2) Renunciation of Indian Citizenship
3) Apply for OCI

It will be great if you can update the time take for these steps to complete

SPbluez
Newly Registered

Post by SPbluez » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 pm

positiveme wrote:

3. Pay the required fee

Hi,
Do we need two appointments to apply for renunciation of Indian citizenship? One with HCI and another with VFS? Or just book one on the HCI London website by selecting VFS Goswell to complete steps 4 and 5 above?

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 am

Hi, I spoke with HCL and they said that only appointment with HCL is enough. After that, we can walk-in the VFS to submit the documents. I am getting ready for my HCL appointment so cannot say if this will work or not. Once I am through the process, I will update the post.
SPbluez wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 pm
positiveme wrote:

3. Pay the required fee

Hi,
Do we need two appointments to apply for renunciation of Indian citizenship? One with HCI and another with VFS? Or just book one on the HCI London website by selecting VFS Goswell to complete steps 4 and 5 above?

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 am

Yes, in summary that is correct. I am going through the process myself so cannot update the timeline. On this forum, many have shared the timeline which might be helpful. Once, I have been through the process, I will update my post.
sruthigl wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:51 pm
positiveme wrote:
Hi all

• 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • VFS Declaration form

3. Pay the required fee

Im jsut starting the process thanks for this post its very helpfull. So as i understand
Highlevel Steps are as follows :

1) Surrender indian passport
2) Renunciation of Indian Citizenship
3) Apply for OCI

It will be great if you can update the time take for these steps to complete

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:29 am

The postage charges at VFS is always extra. You can take your own Royal Mail postage and give it to them. They try to sell you their service and it's your choice if you wish to use that or not. I have always used Royal Mail in the past. Let's see if they accept it this time or not.

Good luck with the process.
honestguy2020 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:06 am
That's my question too!
Even if they have a service, can we still take our royal mail envelope as it'll be cheaper 😉

The information on the HCI website isn't clear at all. They say surrender passpirt fee £20 need to be paid at VFS. It doesn't say if that includes the courier service or not.
Not great explain for sure.

Side note:

What do you make of my post/query here:
other-countries/indian-passport-surrend ... l#p2157720

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am

I have always taken my own Royal Mail envelopes and VFS has confirmed over the phone that I can do it this time also.
Happyness wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:25 am
Hello ji,
Just wanted to know if we have to take self addressed special delivery envelopes for surrender of passport or some service is available at the Vfs.
Thankyou.

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 am

Hi sorry, just came back here. Hoping you have got it done now. HCL confirmed to me over the phone that one appointment is enough. I am going through the process later this month and will update it over here.
SPbluez wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 pm
Thanks for this.

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:49 am

UPDATED link for renouncing website:
positiveme wrote:
Hi all

• 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • VFS Declaration form

1. Complete the online form here - https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/Renounce
3. Pay the required fee

sprcoci
Newly Registered
India

Post by sprcoci » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:10 pm

positiveme wrote:
Hi all

• 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • VFS Declaration form

3. Pay the required fee

Thanks for the One Stop for Surrender Certificate, Renunciation Certificate and OCI, Much Appreciated.

Step 1 > Where can I find VFS Declaration form ? as VFS-Birmingham, Manchester sent only the conformation email not the Declaration form.

Could you please assist me on the query, Thanks

awesomeagni
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by awesomeagni » Thu May 02, 2024 11:07 am

Hi,

Apologies, if this has been answered before but I am utterly confused by the directions on the website.
Can someone please help with the process of Renunciation?
I understand that I have to fill up the Renunciation form online and upload a few documents.
And I also understand that I have to get the signature from the Embassy.

So, my question is:
Do I have to book two separate appointments (one with the Embassy and one with VFS)?
OR
Do I just have to book one appointment with the embassy and thats all for renunciation?

I know someone in the post above said you dont need appointment at VFS for renunciation but I have also come across this on another thread.
Crazytester.png
Crazytester.png (59.65 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Also,
1. Can I do the renunciation at the Embassy first and then head to the VFS for Surrender appointment?
I am asking this because of the timings. I will be heading to CGI at Edinburgh and the appointment timings are before 11 AM, if I remember correctly and I have no idea how long it would take or how busy it would be at VFS Edinburgh for the Surrender certificate appointment.
2. For renunciation, do I need a 'Surrender Certificate' receipt?
3. On the renunciation form, it asks me to upload old and current Indian passports. Would I be able to upload two separate documents on the same field? Or has it got to be 1 document with both the passport's pages in?
4. Where do I get the 'Renunciation Declaration' form for a specific Embassy?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Sat May 04, 2024 8:53 pm

You can download it from here - https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/pdf/ ... 240815.pdf

sprcoci wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:10 pm
positiveme wrote:
Hi all

• 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • VFS Declaration form

3. Pay the required fee

Thanks for the One Stop for Surrender Certificate, Renunciation Certificate and OCI, Much Appreciated.

Step 1 > Where can I find VFS Declaration form ? as VFS-Birmingham, Manchester sent only the conformation email not the Declaration form.

Could you please assist me on the query, Thanks

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Sat May 04, 2024 9:15 pm

That's ok. Let me try to help you with your questions:

1. Do I have to book two separate appointments (one with the Embassy and one with VFS)?
OR
Do I just have to book one appointment with the embassy and thats all for renunciation?

A: If you visit the correct consulate office to get signature for the renunciation, then you need to visit the VFS office, in the same city, on the same day to submit your documents. For this, you do not need a separate appointment. It's simply a dropping off your documents service.

If you visit the correct consulate office but cannot go to the VFS office the same day, then you need to take an appointment for a VFS office (anywhere in the country, but within the same consulate region or within your jurisdiction as per rules), to drop your documents off.

To check your jurisdiction and which consulate office applies to you, you need to check before filling any forms in the whole process.

Your other queries:

1. Can I do the renunciation at the Embassy first and then head to the VFS for Surrender appointment?
A: Yes, you can, but you need a separate appointment for surrender application, even if you are doing it on the same day.

I am asking this because of the timings. I will be heading to CGI at Edinburgh and the appointment timings are before 11 AM, if I remember correctly and I have no idea how long it would take or how busy it would be at VFS Edinburgh for the Surrender certificate appointment.
A: The consulate services work on 'as it come', which mean, once the consulate or their PA has enough applications to sign, they will sign and stamp in bulk. assume 1 to 2 hours for the entire process. They will collect your passports, form and if any other document required and then will ask you to wait. Once they have enough applications, they will be signed and stamped quickly and returned to you. They will ask you to go to VFS office to drop your documents. In VFS office, there will be a queue as lot of people will be coming from consulate office to drop off. Expect it to be couple of hours process again but may be quicker if VFS has enough staff.

A: Ideally, yes as this is a requirement for renunciation. In my case, I submitted both on the same day. I called and checked with the consulate office and they said I can do it. If VFS staff are helpful, which they generally are, they will take it. But, if they don't, then don't worry. The surrender certificate will arrive generally in 10 working days and then you can fill OCI application and when you take appointment for OCI, you can drop off your renunciation documents at that time. This is also acceptable.

3. On the renunciation form, it asks me to upload old and current Indian passports. Would I be able to upload two separate documents on the same field? Or has it got to be 1 document with both the passport's pages in?
A: only one document is allowed to be uploaded to merge them together.

A: You can download it from here - https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/in ... ration.pdf
Make sure you change the work LONDON (appears three times) to your applicable region (EDINBURGH)
awesomeagni wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:07 am
Hi,

Apologies, if this has been answered before but I am utterly confused by the directions on the website.
I understand that I have to fill up the Renunciation form online and upload a few documents.

So, my question is:
Do I have to book two separate appointments (one with the Embassy and one with VFS)?
OR

I know someone in the post above said you dont need appointment at VFS for renunciation but I have also come across this on another thread.
Crazytester.png

Also,

Thanks in advance.

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Sat May 04, 2024 9:49 pm

Now, I am through the first two steps so updating the post with Step 1 and 2, with my personal experience:

4. Visit Application Processing Centre - appointment with VFS with the below documents (documents must be in the order as given here https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/in ... CKLIST.pdf and all the photocopies must be self attested):
  • 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • Indian Passport photocopy – Photo page, address page and all the used pages and must be self-attested (all Indian passports)

1. Complete the online form here - https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/Renounce
2. Upload required documents - India Passport (current and any old, all in one document), and address proof.
3. Pay the required fee
5. You are required to submit your signed form and relevant documents at a VFS office. You don't need an appointment with VFS to submit the form and documents if doing on the same day. If you are not submitting documents on the same day then you need to take an appointment and then submit the signed form and documents.

Documents required for Renunciation application (submitting at VFS and make sure all the photocopies are self attested):
1. Appointment confirmation (the one you needed for consulate office)
2. Signed form
3. 2"x2" photo (take two, just in case)
4. Photocopies of the Front and back pages of all Indian passports you have (no need of the internal pages for this one)
5. Naturalisation certificate (original to show and photocopy to submit)
6. Foreign passport (original to show and photocopy of front page to submit (only the page with your details one)
7. UK address proof
8. Surrender certificate (I did not have it as I did both step 1 and 2 together, but in general you will have it after step 1)
9. Payment receipt
10. Renunciation Declaration Form (https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/in ... ration.pdf)

Note 1 - Step 1 and Step 2 - Online forms can be done together but Step 1 certificate must be attained before going to Step 2 appointment.

Note 2 - If you have completed step 1 and have received the surrender certificate, you can fill the OCI forms, upload the surrender certificate and then take appointment for step 2 with the consulate office, and also take one appointment with vfs to submit OCI application. You can then submit both step 2 and step 3 documents altogether in the same appointment. This is what I was told by the VFS staff.

Note 3 - If you are submitting more than one candidate's documents then each candidate should have one copy of the appointment letter with their documents, even if you have taken appointment as a family, otherwise VFS will charge 50p per page photocopy charge to do it for you. I only took one copy for the family appointment, but VFS asked one copy for each candidate and charged me for photocopying it to put with each applicant's document sets.

Note 4 - The consulate services work on 'as it come', which mean, once the consulate or their PA has enough applications to sign, they will sign and stamp them in bulk. assume 1 to 2 hours for the entire process. They will collect your passports, form and if any other document required and then will ask you to wait. Once they have enough applications, they will be signed and stamped quickly and returned to you. They will ask you to go to VFS office to drop your documents. In VFS office, there will be a queue as lot of people will be coming from consulate office to drop off (without appointment). Expect it to be couple of hours process again but may be quicker if VFS has enough staff. So if you are taking another appointment for the same day at VFS, consider these timings. Generally, consulate office finishes everything by 12 noon.

Note 5 - You can take Royal Mail return postage but VFS will ask you to sign a declaration for each application that they will not be responsible for anything once the documents are dispatched from their office and we will then need to liaise with Royal Mail for any delays or lost parcels. If you take their courier service then they will do next day service. Royal mail cost for each postage is £9 and VFS cost is £15 (at the time of writing this). You can choose which one to go for. I took my own Royal Mail return postages for all of us.

I am now waiting for surrender certificate which is required for Step 3. Once I am through it, I will update the thread with my experience.

positiveme wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:49 am
UPDATED link for renouncing website:
positiveme wrote:
Hi all

• 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • VFS Declaration form

3. Pay the required fee

positiveme
United Kingdom

Post by positiveme » Sat May 04, 2024 9:52 pm

I just found this guide of filling renunciation form. Although the form is straightforward and this forum has all the answers you need from many experienced people but this can be helpful for some so sharing: https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/ ... rGuide.pdf

awesomeagni
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by awesomeagni » Mon May 06, 2024 11:06 am

positiveme wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 9:15 pm
That's ok. Let me try to help you with your questions:

1. Do I have to book two separate appointments (one with the Embassy and one with VFS)?
OR

A: If you visit the correct consulate office to get signature for the renunciation, then you need to visit the VFS office, in the same city, on the same day to submit your documents. For this, you do not need a separate appointment. It's simply a dropping off your documents service.

If you visit the correct consulate office but cannot go to the VFS office the same day, then you need to take an appointment for a VFS office (anywhere in the country, but within the same consulate region or within your jurisdiction as per rules), to drop your documents off.

To check your jurisdiction and which consulate office applies to you, you need to check before filling any forms in the whole process.

Your other queries:

A: Yes, you can, but you need a separate appointment for surrender application, even if you are doing it on the same day.

A: The consulate services work on 'as it come', which mean, once the consulate or their PA has enough applications to sign, they will sign and stamp in bulk. assume 1 to 2 hours for the entire process. They will collect your passports, form and if any other document required and then will ask you to wait. Once they have enough applications, they will be signed and stamped quickly and returned to you. They will ask you to go to VFS office to drop your documents. In VFS office, there will be a queue as lot of people will be coming from consulate office to drop off. Expect it to be couple of hours process again but may be quicker if VFS has enough staff.

A: Ideally, yes as this is a requirement for renunciation. In my case, I submitted both on the same day. I called and checked with the consulate office and they said I can do it. If VFS staff are helpful, which they generally are, they will take it. But, if they don't, then don't worry. The surrender certificate will arrive generally in 10 working days and then you can fill OCI application and when you take appointment for OCI, you can drop off your renunciation documents at that time. This is also acceptable.

A: only one document is allowed to be uploaded to merge them together.

A: You can download it from here - https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/in ... ration.pdf
Make sure you change the work LONDON (appears three times) to your applicable region (EDINBURGH)
awesomeagni wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:07 am
Hi,

So, my question is:
OR

Crazytester.png

Also,

Thanks in advance.
Thank you @positiveme. Really helpful.
All the best to you.