ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian visa application queries for previous indian citizen

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pbs6vas

Indian visa application queries for previous indian citizen

Post by pbs6vas » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Hello,
I am planning to surrender our indian passports and apply tourist visa at the same time.
There are a few queries for which I request your help. Any advice from those who has gone through this process recently will be great.

1. B Passport particulars: There no place of issue on the UK passport
What should I write for place of issue for visa application?
My passport says issuing authority as ''IPS''
Should I write IPS for place of Issue?

2. F Previous visit details: I was an Indian citizen since birth and just acquired British citizenship last week.
Only visited India as a citizen before
Have you ever visited India? should I write ?No

3. I Details of 2 Reference:
In United Kingdom
: Can I write my Wife's name here or should it be someone else?
Can I write my name for my minor son application?

I presume that I should be signing my 1 year old son's application.

What are the list of documents to be enclosed with this application?

where can I get the parents consent form for minor child?

Could someone shine some light on this please. Thanks for your help in advance.
With regards

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:46 pm

What should I write for place of issue for visa application?
United Kingdom
Have you ever visited India
You have visited India before, does not matter on which Passport. So write Yes. Even after you surrender your passport, you get your Indian Passport back (Which is now null and void), so you can prove that you have visited India
Details of 2 Reference: In United Kingdom
References cannot be relatives, by blood or marriage. So your wife does not qualify
What are the list of documents to be enclosed with this application?
Check Link below
http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa_CheckList.html
where can I get the parents consent form for minor child?
You can type this one on your own and both you and your wife can sign for your child

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:05 pm

krazydude wrote:
Have you ever visited India
You have visited India before, does not matter on which Passport. So write Yes. Even after you surrender your passport, you get your Indian Passport back (Which is now null and void), so you can prove that you have visited India

If I select ''Yes'' I need to select one of the visas from the drop down list
It hasn't got Previous citizen/Nationality in the drop down list
Without selecting the visa type in the drop downlist I can't save the application
Many thanks

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:52 am

What options do you have in the drop-down list?

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:34 pm

only list of visas in the drop down list
many thanks

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:22 am

Is there no 'Other' option in the drop-down menu, where you can then type in that you are a Previous National ?

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 am

thanks mate.
submitted my application yesterday at victoria
should select no according to vfs
cheers

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:22 am

Somehow I am not surprised that VFS 'suggested' you to put 'No' to a question, which should have another option for people who have travelled to India on another passport.

For example, if I were a citizen of a country which does not allow dual citizenship like India and had become a naturalised British Citizen, but had travelled to India on my previous passport, then what would I put in there ? I would assume 'No' would the answer according to VFS, which seems to enjoy making a muck of things.

And I think I am on a major rant now.................. :roll:

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:54 pm

My Timeline for my Tourist Visa
Type: Adult & 1minor
Date of Application: 19/07/2011
VFS: Victoria London
Date Visa granted: 21/07/2011
Date Passports recieved by courier: 22/07/2011
Good Service so far, 1 working day for visa
Still waiting on my surrender certificates and return of cancelled indian passports

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Still waiting on my surrender certificates and return of cancelled indian passports
This seems to be a very quick turnaround and I suspect the other documenst will come in due course and it wont matter at this time if there are any errors on the SC.

Can you please say- the kind of visa you got, is it 6 months or for longer and is it multiple entry?
I have been thinking with all the problems and delays in getting the SC, I would like to apply for a visa first and then later apply for PIO.

Have you been told about any restrictions on entry after the visa expires?

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 am

gidoc wrote:
This seems to be a very quick turnaround and I suspect the other documenst will come in due course and it wont matter at this time if there are any errors on the SC.

Can you please say- the kind of visa you got, is it 6 months or for longer and is it multiple entry?
I have been thinking with all the problems and delays in getting the SC, I would like to apply for a visa first and then later apply for PIO.

Have you been told about any restrictions on entry after the visa expires?
6months multientry tourist visa............doesn't say any restrictions.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks
Isnt there a restriction that after your visit you cannot re-enter within 2 months? this doesnt make sense if you have a multiple entry valid visa!!

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 am

Yes, there is a restriction on re-entry for 2months as usual. It is technically dual entry.

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 am

My timeline for Surrender Certificate
1 Adult & 1Minor
Mode of application: Personal, VFS Victoria, London
Date of application: 19/07/2011
Date received by Indian high commission: 20/07/2011
Date passport revoked: 25/07/011
Date of receipt of SC: 29/07/2011 by courier
Fortunately, No errors in both certificates. Also recieved revoked Indian Passports :D :D
Excellent service recieved SC's in 7 working days intotal. very very satisfied :D

Member of Standing

Post by 1664 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 pm

gidoc - why don't you apply for an OCI instead?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 pm

My timeline for Surrender Certificate
1 Adult & 1Minor
Mode of application: Personal, VFS Victoria, London
Date of application: 19/07/2011
Date received by Indian high commission: 20/07/2011
Date passport revoked: 25/07/011
Date of receipt of SC: 29/07/2011 by courier
Fortunately, No errors in both certificates. Also recieved revoked Indian Passports
Excellent service recieved SC's in 7 working days intotal. very very satisfied
Very encouraging and good servce.
gidoc - why don't you apply for an OCI instead?
I have been deliberating on that. I visit India 3-4 times a year mostly from autumn to spring and did not want to get caught out by the 2 month gap restriction.
Thought about PIO, as it takes about 3 wks but will have to send my British passport with it and am planning to travel to France in September, thats why I looked at the tourist visa option.

But youre right, OCI seems a better option. I will request SC by post, hopefully it should be done in next 2 wks. I will then apply for OCI, which doesnt require for the passport to be sent. Hopefully it should be finalised in 6 -8 wks, as I will be going to India in October.

I had thought that OCI may disadvantage someone, as it may be confused with ' dual citizenship' but I dont think that will matter and I believe PIO and OCI are going to merge anyway.

Member of Standing

Post by 1664 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:14 am

gidoc - good decision.

Good Luck with your application(s)

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:52 am

I honestly think that India should just allow dual citizenship. The distinction between OCI and PIO is quite confusing in many instances. I too think they might merge it into just one class of visa, but then again it might be a long wait before that happens.

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 pm

krazydude wrote:I honestly think that India should just allow dual citizenship. The distinction between OCI and PIO is quite confusing in many instances. I too think they might merge it into just one class of visa, but then again it might be a long wait before that happens.
As a point of interest, does anyone know why India does not allow dual citizenship? I appreciate that its every country's sovereign right, etc, etc., but what are the actual negatives re. allowing dual citizenship?

I shall soon be applying for an OCI too, and wish that dual citizenship was allowed.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:41 pm

I honestly think that India should just allow dual citizenship. The distinction between OCI and PIO is quite confusing in many instances. I too think they might merge it into just one class of visa, but then again it might be a long wait before that happens.
An anouncement was made by the PM in Jan 2011 that both will merge soon!!

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 am

drjabberwocky23 wrote:
As a point of interest, does anyone know why India does not allow dual citizenship? I appreciate that its every country's sovereign right, etc, etc., but what are the actual negatives re. allowing dual citizenship?

I shall soon be applying for an OCI too, and wish that dual citizenship was allowed.
I think it might be because the Government did not want NRI's acquiring agricultural land, getting government roles and be involved in the electoral process (however the last bit might change).

@gidoc - Yes the announcement was made, but I always take these 'announcements' with a pinch of salt. There is often quite a long wait after such announcements get made. The announcement also included changes to the electoral system where OCI holders would be able to vote in the general elections in India. Lets see how far that goes.