ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surname Blank in Passport. How many days to change it? Help!

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SmithaK
Newly Registered

Surname Blank in Passport. How many days to change it? Help!

Post by SmithaK » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:30 am

Hi Folks,

My husband who got his Indian passport 2 months back just now found out that the Surname section is blank in the Indian passport.

For example, instead of Given Name = John and Family Name = Doe, it is written as Given Name = John Doe.

When he went to the passport office to amend it, they said it will take at least 20 days. I have read somewhere that it will take only one day, but unable to find the link.

He was planning to apply by this month end, but it seems like we have to wait until January. :cry:

Could anyone please help to find an official publication about the time-limit?

Smitha

geek1981

Post by geek1981 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 pm

I have the same thing with my indian passport. Actually i think its very common on Indian passports. My surname is in given name but didn't find any problems with that yet as i always put my surname (eg: Doe) on my visas. Did you have any problems with empty surname yet?

cheers!

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Well it should take 1 day (acutally it takes 20 mins), but they tell you 20 days because they place it in a queue.

If your husband would have noticed this at the HCI, they would have done it there and then (in 20 mins as mentioned earlier - I say this because they did it for a guy whose surname was spelt wrong and they corrected it).

If you have any current/valid visas (on a previous passport) which do have a surname, I would suggest you get the surname added asap as they can question you at immigration control (UK or elsewhere) causing delay and unnecessary anxiety .