ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance Number For ESOL Course?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

Enquirer77

National Insurance Number For ESOL Course?

Post by Enquirer77 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:56 pm

My Ukrainian fiancée is here in the UK on a fiancée visa. Our marriage will be in August. We went to our local Adult Education Centre this morning to get her enrolled on the ESOL (English Language & Citizenship) Course which the government expects her to complete if she wants ILR and/or British citizenship. But in order to enrol she needs a National Insurance Number.

Question? How do we get her an NI Number now so that she can enrol on the course in September? I understand that she would normally only be able to apply for an NI Number once she has received her Spouse visa and is able to apply for work? College enrolment is 10 September and I've looked on the HMRC website for NI info and it is suggesting delays of up to 8 weeks when applying for NI Number.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:58 pm

I think you can get a temporary one at the jobcentre but I really don't think you need one to enroll, they just prefer it

Enquirer77

Post by Enquirer77 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:04 pm

Thank you. We will check this out at the Jobcentre, and also check again with the Adult Education Centre if it's really necessary.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:21 pm

Enquirer77 wrote:Thank you. We will check this out at the Jobcentre, and also check again with the Adult Education Centre if it's really necessary.
Use TMNddmmyyF, I did for years what I was an accountant!

TN=Temporary Number

ddmmyy=Date of birth

F=Female

The tax people frown on TN's but the school won't care.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:09 am

There is no way that a National Insurance number is compulsory for enrolement in a course.

Many people do not have NI numbers and many students who don't work don't have them either. In any case, you will find it very difficult to obtain a NI number without proof of a job offer or employment contract, which obviously your fiance is not allowed to have.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.