ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for Wife

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

VRM
Newly Registered

ILR for Wife

Post by VRM » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:28 am

My wife and I were married in India in 1995. We came to UK in May 2001 (I came on Work Permit). In May 2005 I applied for ILR and got it. My wife did not apply for ILR at that time, as she was still an employee of the Indian Govt at that time. In June 2006 I applied for naturalisation and was granted British Citizenship in August 2006. My wife continued staying as my dependant, as our original residents permit was valid until April 2008.

I recently applied for ILR for my wife (using a SET(M) form) assuming that she was eligible for the same. However the application was rejected and I was told that she had to apply on an FLR(M) form, and will only be granted ILR after completing a 2 year probationary period as my wife. I am confused. Why cant she apply for ILR now?

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 am

Was your wife actually working in the UK for the Indian Government when you got your own ILR? Or was she working outside the UK?

Anyway, too late to do anything about that now. You having got your ILR, and indeed now BC as well, well that is the way it works ..... your wife needs to apply for a 2-year visa first, before going for the ILR.

When you say the application for ILR was rejected, did they take the money? Or was it rejected at a PEO prior to them taking the money?
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:04 pm

If your wife entered the UK as a spouse of a work permit holder, then she could try applying, using SET(O), under paragraph 196E, instead of 288.

However, they may still refuse under paragraph 196F, with reference to 194D(ii), because you now hold British Citizenship rather than ILR!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:33 pm

196E calls for all the requirements of 196D to be met, of which:

"(v) was admitted with a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity."

may be a problem for the OP's wife?

VRM
Newly Registered

Post by VRM » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Thank you all for your replies.

John: No my wife was not working in the UK when she arrived here. She was on a leave of absence from her Indian Govt job. Fortunately they have agreed to refund the fees, and have asked my wife to reapply using the FLR(M) form.

Is there any chance we may apply using the SET(O) form, as suggested by Vinny?

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Unfortunately I think not, for the reason as stated by paulp.
John

vinny

ILR for Wife

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:03 pm

paulp wrote:196E calls for all the requirements of 196D to be met, of which:

"(v) was admitted with a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity."

may be a problem for the OP's wife?
On what basis did she initially enter the UK? Didn't she have an entry clearance endorsement as a spouse of a work permit holder?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

paulp
Diamond Member

Re: ILR for Wife

Post by paulp » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:34 pm

vinny wrote:On what basis did she initially enter the UK? Didn't she have an entry clearance endorsement as a spouse of a work permit holder?
That's right, the capacity that 196D(v) refers to is that of a spouse of a WP holder. So, we have to fall back to 196D(ii) whereby the OP no longer has ILR (as you pointed out in your first post).

vinny

ILR for Wife

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:25 am

VRM wrote:Fortunately they have agreed to refund the fees
I think that it may be worthwhile asking the same people about 196E. If you inform them of your work permit history, then perhaps they may accept and approve your wife's SET(O) application?

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:23 am

I think the crux of all this is that I simply do not understand why VRM did not apply for ILR for his wife when he applied for his ILR. She was employed by the Indian Government .... so?
John

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:06 am

Does the Indian Government stipulate that its civil servants cannot have permanent residence abroad?

VRM
Newly Registered

Post by VRM » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:56 pm

John,Vinny: My wife was a senior civil servant in India and had been granted study leave to come here and pursue a PhD. We were not sure whether applying for ILR was permitted or not under Indian Govt rules, so we went for the safe option and did not apply. It seems like a mistake now, but nothing can be done to change that!

However thanks for all your comments. My wife has a PEO appointment next week and will try to pursue the SET(O) route as suggested by Vinny. If not we will wait for another 2 years for her ILR, which in the long run does not really matter

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:48 pm

The PEO is for straightforward applications. Let us know what they say at the document checking counter and how she gets on.

VRM
Newly Registered

Post by VRM » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Are you suggesting that if my wife just applies via the FLR(M) form [and forgetting about SET(M) or SET(O)], this will not be treated as a 'straightforward' application? Your views will be most welcome.

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:19 pm

I think an application on form FLR(M) for a 2-year spouse visa would be straightforward ..... based upon what you have posted.
John

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:51 pm

VRM wrote:Are you suggesting that if my wife just applies via the FLR(M) form [and forgetting about SET(M) or SET(O)], this will not be treated as a 'straightforward' application? Your views will be most welcome.
You said: "However thanks for all your comments. My wife has a PEO appointment next week and will try to pursue the SET(O) route as suggested by Vinny. If not we will wait for another 2 years for her ILR, which in the long run does not really matter"

Where did the FLR(M) come from?

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Where did the FLR(M) come from?
That is the form to use to apply for a 2-year spouse visa.
John

VRM
Newly Registered

Post by VRM » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:20 pm

John: Thanks for all your useful advice in this matter. Fingers crossed the FLR(M) application will be straightforward and she will get the 2 year extension when she has her PEO appointment.

paulp: When my wife's postal SET(M) application was rejected, she was sent an FLR(M) form and asked to apply on that. Based on what has been said by all of you, she is not currently eligible for ILR, so we are only applying for a 2 year extension.

VRM
Newly Registered

Post by VRM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:10 am

Just to let you all know that my wife attended the PEO appointed a few days ago and was granted 2 year extension of her visa as the spouse of a UK national. She will be eligible for ILR in 2 years time. Thanks for all your comments.

John

Post by John » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:42 am

Glad that is now sorted. Actually your wife can apply for the ILR 28 days before the expiry of the current 2-year spouse visa ... so only 23 months to wait now.

And assuming that she was in the UK exactly 3 years earlier, as soon as she has her ILR she can apply for Naturalisation as British.
John