ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewal of UK PR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.
Debdarsan
Newly Registered

Renewal of UK PR

Post by Debdarsan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:06 am

Hello,

I am an Indian national and obtained ILR which is expiring in 2023. I have left the UK because of my health issues in Feb 2018. My questions are:

1. Will my PR get cancelled if I do not re-enter the UK by Feb 2020 - i.e. continuous absence for more than 2 years?

2. Given that I enter the UK every two years, to retain the PR, must I work in the UK? For renewal of PR, do I need to produce my salary slip (in the year 2013, when my PR expires) showing that I am employed in the UK?

Thanks and Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Renewal of UK PR

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:08 am

1. Will my PR get cancelled if I do not re-enter the UK by Feb 2020 - i.e. continuous absence for more than 2 years?
Likely yes.
2. Given that I enter the UK every two years, to retain the PR, must I work in the UK? For renewal of PR, do I need to produce my salary slip (in the year 2013, when my PR expires) showing that I am employed in the UK?
The whole point of ILR is that you are present and settled in the UK for it to remain 'indefinite'. It is not 'indefinite' if you live outside the UK. Short visits to try maintain the status doesn't always work and your ILR could be revoked on arrival in the UK and you will be returned to India.

To renew your BRP card, you have to prove you have been resident in the UK yes.

Note PR = EEA/EU route applicants. ILR = UK Immigration route applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AMITABHA
Newly Registered

Post by AMITABHA » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for your response!

I forgot to mention that I left the UK on health ground and according to my doctor's opinion, it is best to stay in India and get treated for the time being. As you have mentioned - "Short visits to try maintain the status doesn't always work and your ILR could be revoked on arrival in the UK and you will be returned to India." - my question is will there be any consideration for my case i.e. on health ground?

Supposing I am exempted, shall I have to work in the UK to renew my PR?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:58 am

You must prove residence and this is to prove to ho that you don't have long periods of absence, potentially causing your ilr to lapse.

With the NHS freely available in the UK, unclear how you would justify absence based on health grounds.

If you ilr lapses or is revoked and you have no ties to the UK, you would likely have to start the process again from scratch.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 am

Health grounds will not be considered as a reason not to curtail ILR if you exceed two years outside the UK. The issue is not why you are not resident in the UK it is the fact you are not a continuing resident for a period of two years.

AMITABHA
Newly Registered

Post by AMITABHA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Hello CR001,

Many thanks for your reply.
One final question:
You had written, "your ILR could be revoked on arrival in the UK and you will be returned to India."

Does that mean my ILR will be revoked at the immigration desk before entering the UK? That is as if I have no visa? What is the process?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:26 pm

AMITABHA wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:23 pm
Hello CR001,

Many thanks for your reply.
One final question:
You had written, "your ILR could be revoked on arrival in the UK and you will be returned to India."

Does that mean my ILR will be revoked at the immigration desk before entering the UK? That is as if I have no visa? What is the process?
Yes it could and yes, you would then have no right to remain in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)