ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of entitlement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dinnington
Newly Registered

Certificate of entitlement

Post by Dinnington » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:57 am

Hi,
I’ve just received my British citizenship certificate ( naturisation through marriage ) my question is do I still need to go for oath taking? As I’m planning to apply for certificate of entitlement.
my question is if I change my mind in few years time, can I also apply a British passport when you holding a certificate of entitlement?
What are the requirements for applying to COE?

Thank you
Din

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Certificate of entitlement

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:11 am

Have you received the approval letter or the actual certificate of naturalisation?

Have you attended the ceremony, which is where you take the oath and receive the certificate? That is the oath taking.

Does your country allow dual citizenship?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dinnington
Newly Registered

Post by Dinnington » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:11 am
Have you received the approval letter or the actual certificate of naturalisation? Yes

Have you attended the ceremony, which is where you take the oath and receive the certificate? That is the oath taking. Schedule nov 15 2019

Does your country allow dual citizenship? Yes
Hi
Thanks for the replied my application was sent June 25, and i’ve Just received a letter from home office regarding my ceremony early November.
My country of origin allow dual citizenship.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 pm

You are only British once you attend your ceremony.

Any particular reason you don't want to apply for a British passport?? It is cheaper than ROA/COE and this also expires with your passport and has to be reapplied when you get a new passport each time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dinnington
Newly Registered

Post by Dinnington » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:27 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 pm
You are only British once you attend your ceremony. Thank you appreciate your info.
Do I need to attend then apply for ROA/COE?

Any particular reason you don't want to apply for a British passport?? It is cheaper than ROA/COE and this also expires with your passport and has to be reapplied when you get a new passport each time.
I thought I give my grandparents a surprise, for applying. Unfortunately I make them upset. It is kind of personal, grandparents wish while they still alive.
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:15 am

If you don’t attend the ceremony and are not exempted, then you won’t be British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Dinnington
Newly Registered

Post by Dinnington » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:15 am
If you don’t attend the ceremony and are not exempted, then you won’t be British.
What is your advice? For certificate of entilement do I need to attend ceremony then apply once I have my citizenship certification?
Can I also apply online? Advice please

Thanks
Dinn

Dinnington
Newly Registered

Post by Dinnington » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 am

Hi CR001,
I appreciated your advice, a very useful and informative sources board that helps us so much. Thank you
I have another few questions that I hope you can consider giving me advice.

1) do I need to attend ceremony in order for me to get my naturization certificate? And thereafter apply for Certificate of entitlement? Is that correct?
2) is ROA/ COE is the same? separate application?
3) after I receive my Naturization cert, I have to send my BRP right? Means I have no visa? I understand once naturization approved they give you 3 months from the day it was approved.
4) apply COE online, Do I still need to register to UKVCAS for documents uploaded if I apply online?

I am hoping you can extend your patience on answering the above. Apology as my knockledge is limited.

Thank you so much!
Dinn

Dinnington wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:03 pm
CR001 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:11 am
Have you received the approval letter or the actual certificate of naturalisation? Yes

Have you attended the ceremony, which is where you take the oath and receive the certificate? That is the oath taking. Schedule nov 15 2019

Does your country allow dual citizenship? Yes
Hi
Thanks for the replied my application was sent June 25, and i’ve Just received a letter from home office regarding my ceremony early November.
My country of origin allow dual citizenship.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:22 pm

1. Again, as has been advised lore than once already in this topic, you are only British once you attend the ceremony which is where you also get your certificate of naturalisation. If you don't attend the ceremony then you are not British at all.

2. RoA/CoE is a separate application.

3. Yes you have to send it back within 5 days of attending the ceremony. The 3 months from approval letter is to ATTEND the ceremony and NOT hold onto your brp card.

4. Probably yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)