ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Labour to Clamp Down on Immigrants

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:02 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4238405.stm

embarkation controls coming back as well :roll:
Where there is a will there is a way.

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:27 am

Hi Chess,
Good thing is they want to get rid of so called refugees and welcome those who are equipped with right skills to boost their economy.This seems to a major issue during coming election compaign in Britian.

TIA
Zia

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:16 pm

what are embarkation controls?

John

Post by John » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:58 pm

Rogerroger, embarkation controls are when a country records who is leaving! At the moment the UK does not record who is leaving and therefore has no way of knowing who has overstayed their visa, etc etc..

The UK did have embarkation controls until the early 1990s .. when the Conservative Government cancelled them ... as a cost-cutting measure.

Government changes? Heavily leaked in the last day or two but the real statement by the Home Office Minister will be made in the House of Commons at 3.30.pm today. Anyone with digital TV in the UK can watch live, for example on Sky TV on channel 508. Alternatively it is available on the Internet at :-

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/

-: and then link in with the House of Commons broadcast.

Could be interesting!
John

spooklightCW
Newly Registered

House keeper Visa

Post by spooklightCW » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:23 pm

Hi,

I have a friend who has a housekeeper visa in a private household.
She arrive last year.
Is she gonna be affected as well with this immigration changes?

She is going to renew her visa next month. Is there a possibility
that may not consider it at all?

Is she gonna be entitle with a permanent residency after 4 years?
How about naturalisation?

I saw on TV that you have to prove that "you are benefiting the economy before they approve your naturalisation".

It means you need to be highly skilled. (i.e. teacher, doctors, nurse and etc...)

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:51 pm

I have just been listening to the ' live ' statement...

It was as if the Home Secretary was basically reading what the News Papers said over the weekend

It appears a WORKPERMIT WILL NO LONGER BE A TICKET TO PERMANENT RESIDENCE :twisted:

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:01 pm

Chess wrote:I have just been listening to the ' live ' statement...

It was as if the Home Secretary was basically reading what the News Papers said over the weekend

It appears a WORKPERMIT WILL NO LONGER BE A TICKET TO PERMANENT RESIDENCE :twisted:
what happens to people already in this country on work permits. They can no longer apply for ILRS? What about people who have moved from WP to HSMP, they will not be allowed to amalgimate time spent on WP. HO still needs to come up with a lot of answers.

spooklightCW
Newly Registered

Post by spooklightCW » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:05 pm

So that means, people who has a WorkPermit
or a HouseKeeper Visa, will no longer entitle for
a Permanent Residency?

Oh dear...

Good thing, Ive got ILR and Im married to a British
Citizen.

My naturalisation is on the process, would that be affected as well?

Can't wait to watch the news...

Thanks

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:05 pm

these rules will come in effect assuming Labour is re-elected. It may take about a year for the rules to start biting!

It would appear that theBest option is to Switch to HSMP at earliest opportunity

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:09 pm

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:09 pm

If this effects WP & HSMP visa holders then whats the point in having these in the first place.No one will prefere to come to this country istead would stay in the home country or prefere countries like US.

Such a selfish country ... they just wanted these talanted people to pay taxes for 4 years and through them out of the country ... they are playing with so many peoples future ... shame on them. :evil:

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:11 pm

Is it possible to find a transcript of his speech? Or a printed version of those proposals?

John

Post by John » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:12 pm

Some detail in writing is starting to emerge, for example :-

Clarke unveils immigrants clampdown

But I have yet to spot a copy of the whole of Clarke's speech.

Chess, there is no doubt that the proposals will be phased in. However I noticed on the UK Parliament website this morning that the Minster is putting forward a written statement today detailing changes to the Immigration Rules. I don't know exactly what that written statement says but would expect it to bring into force some changes almost immediately.

Worse case .... all of this will be available on the UK Parliament website tomorrow ... but hopefully the full detail will emerge today. Currently absolutely nothing new today on either the Home Office or IND websites.
John

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:14 pm

I hope people who got ILR recently should not be affected?!

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:15 pm

WP and HSMP Holders :

* There will be no automatic right to stay in the UK for lower skilled workers and students. They will have to leave when their visas expire. Only skilled workers who support themselves financially can apply to stay permanently after five years - :evil: an increase on the current four - and they will be required to speak and write English.

John

Post by John » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:17 pm

ND stated :-
If this effects WP & HSMP visa holders .....
More detail needs to emerge but, without being able to guarantee it, I think a strong distinction needs to be drawn between HSMP visa holders and, for example, low-skilled WP holders. I am not saying that all WP holders are low-skilled, but some definitely are.

If I am reading it correctly HSMP holders might need to wait five years rather than four years before applying for ILR. But low-skilled WP holders will not be able to get ILR at any time and will have to return to their own country at the end of their visa period.

I am still searching for a copy of the whole of Clarke's speech.
John

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:18 pm

ND wrote:WP and HSMP Holders :

* There will be no automatic right to stay in the UK for lower skilled workers and students. They will have to leave when their visas expire. Only skilled workers who support themselves financially can apply to stay permanently after five years - :evil: an increase on the current four - and they will be required to speak and write English.
I thought all WP holders are supporting themselves financially? Who else can support them?

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:19 pm

what happens to people with ILR?
how does it affect our naturalisation prospects?

do we have to prove we are einstein before we can apply for naturalisation or are we ok to apply for it

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:20 pm

John do u think this applies to current HSMP Holders as well or for would-be HSMP Holders.

John

Post by John » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:24 pm

Got it! Go to :-

Controlling our borders: Making migration work for Britain - Five Year Strategy for asylum and immigration

-: and then click on .... Full Text(PDF) ... to download a 48-page PDF file. Obviously lots of detail in there.
John

penanglad

Post by penanglad » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Have read it and it seems pretty reasonable as a long term solution - the main thing is to make sure that people currently in the system do not lose out.

Although I am surprised they are going to tighten the Working Holidaymaker rules so soon after loosening them.

There is no reference to the Long Residence Concession (does the concession still exist independently of the Immigration Rule that was created to deal with Long Residence - the Sept 04 IDI suggests that it does) - I presume it will not be affected.

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 pm

Its not fair to increase the 4 year period to 5 year period ...

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:50 pm

It has categorised the skills in tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 and allows tier 1 and 2 for ILR.

I am on Work Permit from last 2 years in IT

I am still confused for the question if I will be effected under this scheme for ILR or not?.

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:55 pm

Chris,

I think u will come under Tier2 means "Skilled Worker" so u will have to wait for 5 years ,write english test and then u r eligible for PR. :roll:

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:05 pm

It has categorised the skills in tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 and allows tier 1 and 2 for ILR.

I am on Work Permit from last 2 years in IT

I am still confused for the question if I will be effected under this scheme for ILR or not?.