ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents settlement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mansoorb
Mood:
India

Parents settlement

Post by mansoorb » Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 pm

Hello experts,

Need some advice. I recently became a British Citizen. I am exploring options for my mother's permanent settlement in UK. Can someone please advise, what visa options do I have for her short/long term permanent settlement (ILR -> Citizen) ?

1. She is living all alone in India.
2. She is completely dependent on me.
3. Since last 10 years, every month I am sending her money via bank to bank transfer. I can show evidence.
4. She is about to turn 65.

Also, what documents do I need to produce?

Thanks
Mansur

Casa

Re: Parents settlement

Post by Casa » Sat May 30, 2020 12:11 am

The route to settlement for adult dependent relatives has been virtually closed since the Immigration Rules were tightened in July 2012. In order to stand any chance of success you will have to submit documented evidence of the following:
1.The parent must require daily help with basic tasks such as bathing, dressing and preparing food.

2.This care must either not be available in their home country or would not be affordable. As India has lower costs for care than in the UK, it would be considered if you could afford to pay for UK care, that you will easily be able to cover those costs in India.

3. Only a very small number of applications for an Adult Dependent visa have been approved and most of these have been after a lengthy and expensive legal appeal, or are from countries such as the USA where care costs are considerably higher than in the UK.

4. If you apply for this visa and it's refused, the door to visitor visas will be closed in the future due to the prior intention to settle.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Re: Parents settlement

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 30, 2020 10:35 am

Also 65 would be considered relatively quite young nowadays. Retirement age is 67 in the UK generally. As @Casa has mentioned above, the requirements for an Adult Dependent Relative visa are far higher than just having a British citizen child and your parent is highly unlikely to succeed.

According to Home Office stats, only 6% of these applications succeed on initial application. So keep that in mind.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.