ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse in abusive relationship - what are the options?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

P2S2J
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Spouse in abusive relationship - what are the options?

Post by P2S2J » Tue May 18, 2021 5:19 am

Hello all,

I had a call from a friend about a lady in an abusive relationship. Legally married to a British citizen she has joined the husband here in UK and arrived from Nigeria on spousal visa.

The lady having no idea and very naive has no idea what the processes are, simply relied on the husband to provide immigration direction.

To cut the long story short. She's over-stayed her visa by over 2.5 years and the husband is abusing her knowing she has no option.

She can't work to fend for herself. She can't claim benefit. He gives her no money and its so bad she practically have only a couple of clothings and eat once a day. He also abuse her emotionally that he bring home other girls for casual sex.

What are the options? Afraid she might get deported she is not approaching an law enforcement. ( I also suspect she has no access to her documents).

Any advise will be helpful. I will compile responses so i advise my friend on next steps to take. This is happening in Bristol.

nataliablooming
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Re: Spouse in abusive relationship - what are the options?

Post by nataliablooming » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:51 pm

There is an option to get a Settled Status in the UK as a Victim of Domestic Abuse (evidence needed, for example letters from the Police, Social Services, Citizen Advice, neighbors).
To make a claim in the Police she should have some evidence, it is good to make recordings (hide phone in a pocket while recording abuse, do it as many times as possible, because one incident is not enough).
Good idea to visit and talk to GP.
After collecting some evidence she can report to the Home Office about Domestic Violence.
They will send a 3 months bio metric card which will allow to claim Benefits and apply for a room in women's refuge to leave abuser. They will send this card very fast, it takes about 10 days, can ask them to send it to address of someone she can trust. Then after getting this 3 months card she will have to send evidence to the Home Office (letters I mentioned above). She will be granted Indefinite Leave to Remain as a Victim of Domestic Abuse.
The main thing she should not hope that he would change if he starts to be nice for a while. That is a common thing. This will never change and everything will be the same way or worse.

Casa

Re: Spouse in abusive relationship - what are the options?

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Suggest that she contact the charity Southall Black Sisters for free advice and support

https://southallblacksisters.org.uk/
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.