ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching Tier 2 General (HK passport) to BNO visa (BNO passport)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

calvin12131416
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Switching Tier 2 General (HK passport) to BNO visa (BNO passport)

Post by calvin12131416 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:22 am

Hi all,

I have been working in the UK for 12 months with Tier 2 General visa (HK passport). This visa is sponsored by my current employer and will be valid until Oct 2022. However, I am also looking to apply for BNO visa (BNO passport) and seek for more working opportunity. I am planning to stay on the current job for now until September 2022 or maybe sooner. Please see my questions below

1. Once I got my BNO visa, do I need to re-enter to the UK? As I used my HK passport (Tier 2) entered the UK 12 months ago

2. Can both Tier 2 and BNO visa activating at the same time on different passport?

3. (If answer is 'Yes' for above question). Do I need to notice my current employer about the switching of my visa? Because they are currently using my HK passport (Tier 2) on the current employment contract, but I don't want to scare them until my new job is confirmed

4. As I will be having 2 visas on 2 different passports, will it break the 5 years period for ILTR?

Thanks a lot :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Switching Tier 2 General (HK passport) to BNO visa (BNO passport)

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:14 pm

1. No,not if you switch within the UK.

2. You cannot hold two visas at the same time. Your tier 2 will be cancelled when your bno visa is granted.

3. You must inform your employer once a new visa approved and provide proof of visa status (BRP card) if you change visa categories.

4. You cannot hold two visas at the same time. Your tier 2 will be cancelled.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Visas are granted to individuals and you must declare all the passports/nationalities you hold on an application. The number of nationalities you have or even acquire is therefore irrelevant. UKVI will simply assume you acquired another nationality and you may use any of your nationalities to apply for a new visa. You do not need to leave the UK as you simply will be switching your visa route. This means if you get a BNO visa your Tier 2 visa will be cancelled/invalid. Time spent under Tier 2 counts towards ILR under BNO route.

Beaten by Char :)
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

calvin12131416
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by calvin12131416 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks a lot.

Regarding question 4, as I have already stayed in the UK for 1 year with Tier 2 Visa, Is that mean I can apply for ILTR 4 years after with my BNO visa? But they will be in different passport, would it causing a problem?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 pm

calvin12131416 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:21 pm
Thanks a lot.

Regarding question 4, as I have already stayed in the UK for 1 year with Tier 2 Visa, Is that mean I can apply for ILTR 4 years after with my BNO visa? But they will be in different passport, would it causing a problem?
The fact that you have multiple passports is irrelevant. Have you read what I wrote above ????? Visas are granted to individuals not passports :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

calvin12131416
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by calvin12131416 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:09 pm

Zimba wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 pm
calvin12131416 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:21 pm
Thanks a lot.

The fact that you have multiple passports is irrelevant. Have you read what I wrote above ????? Visas are granted to individuals not passports :!:
Your reply wasn't on there by the time when I asked, maybe some sort of delay or I missed it :P

Thanks again all, superb helpful