ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling outside of UK without BRP (but after ILR granted)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

userjc
Newly Registered
Australia

Travelling outside of UK without BRP (but after ILR granted)

Post by userjc » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:51 am

If I receive a decision that my ILR application has been granted (yay) and I am now just waiting for my BRP to be delivered (lots of trust in Royal Mail), can I travel outside of the UK?

Guidance seems to say no, don’t travel without the BRP…. but (1) I’ve only been asked to show my BRP on 1 of about 100 returns to the UK and (2) if asked, my immigration status (ILR granted) should be recorded on the UKVI system despite not having the BRP in my hands.

The main thing is I wouldn’t want this to jeopardise my ILR having been granted (I don’t see how it would). Any advice/views/experience would be much appreciated!

vinny

Re: Travelling outside of UK without BRP (but after ILR granted)

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:27 am

Subject to the carriers being satisfied with your documents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:14 am

Non-visa nationals can get on a plane and fly here without needing BRP. In that case, if you have a resident visa you will always be admitted as a resident even if the BRP is not checked at the border (e.g going through e-gates)

general-uk-immigration-forum/can-we-use ... l#p1787814
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:55 pm

userjc wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:51 am
Guidance seems to say no, don’t travel without the BRP
This is a blanket advice to prevent visa-required nationals to find themselves locked out of the UK, since airlines would usually not let them board planes without physical proof of residence/BRP/visas. This is not a problem for non-visa required nationals.
…. but (1) I’ve only been asked to show my BRP on 1 of about 100 returns to the UK
If I can assume by your flag that you are Australian, then that would make sense, since you would be a non-visa required national, who does not need a visa or entry permit to board a plane to the UK.
(2) if asked, my immigration status (ILR granted) should be recorded on the UKVI system despite not having the BRP in my hands.
This is a dangerous assumption to make, and one that has costed visa-required nationals the humiliation of being denied boarding on UK-bound planes. The thing is, banking on digital status to prove you can enter the UK is only possible once you are in the UK, and facing a UK immigration officer. NOT when you are abroad facing airline staff who do not have access to UKVI systems. Again, this only has consequences if you need a visa to come to the UK.
The main thing is I wouldn’t want this to jeopardise my ILR having been granted (I don’t see how it would).
It would not. You are basically taking quite literally an advice that is not specific to you, and which you should interpret as not having any negative impact to you personally (if you are indeed Australian, that is).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

userjc
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by userjc » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:19 pm

Thanks kamoe, that's super helpful - appreciate your views. Glad to hear that I was just being conservative in interpreting the general guidance.

Yes I am Australian, so being a non-visa required national this shouldn't be an issue for me personally.

For what it's worth, the one experience of being asked to see my BRP was odd (given the above) and I recall a friend of mine (also Australian) in the same visa position as me (but had forgotten their BRP) was allowed through after explaining the situation to the airline staff.

Thanks again