ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing parents as UK citizen

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Anuar
Russia

Bringing parents as UK citizen

Post by Anuar » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:24 pm

Hello,

I have become a UK citizen a couple of months ago. Now, I want to bring my parents to the UK. They are citizens of Lebanon (so, not EU/EEA/Switzerland). I have heard that if a child is a UK citizen, his/her parents can obtain long-term visas (5 years) to visit the UK. So, I have two questions:
1) If such long-term visas do exist - could you please share the link to them, so I could check eligibility and the required paperwork? I was told that their case can depend on the presence of some residence card, but what is this card?
2) If I want to bring them to join me here in the UK (so, I want the to move to the UK and live with me), what is the proper immigration route for them? Is it the same case as in my first question?

Thank you in advance for your replies and advice.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Bringing parents as UK citizen

Post by meself2 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:30 pm

1) Haven't heard about any special provisions for UK citizen parents to get a long term UK visa - your presence and nationality alone doesn't make your parents automatically eligible for anything. You might be confusing it with a parent visa for a British citizen child (which is when there's a minor child and non-UK national parent have to take care of them), which is not the case here.
There are visitor visas that are issued for 2, 5 or 10 years, link is the same as per normal visit visa application. But they're still visitor visas - your parents would only be able to stay in the UK for 6 months on a rolling period, or even less - this is not intended to be a way to let people stay in the UK long term, just for short visits.
2) there's no such route, really. There's ADR (adult dependent relative) visa but it's extremely hard to get, plus you'd have to prove your parents need to be receiving care which cannot be provided back home; also, applying for ADR visa will render them unable to get a visit visa, since they have shown their intention to reside in UK.

UK is not a good country to bring your adult relatives in, unfortunately.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

seekingadvice87

Post by seekingadvice87 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:49 pm

Anuar wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:24 pm
Hello,

I have become a UK citizen a couple of months ago. Now, I want to bring my parents to the UK. They are citizens of Lebanon (so, not EU/EEA/Switzerland). I have heard that if a child is a UK citizen, his/her parents can obtain long-term visas (5 years) to visit the UK. So, I have two questions:
1) If such long-term visas do exist - could you please share the link to them, so I could check eligibility and the required paperwork? I was told that their case can depend on the presence of some residence card, but what is this card?
2) If I want to bring them to join me here in the UK (so, I want the to move to the UK and live with me), what is the proper immigration route for them? Is it the same case as in my first question?

Thank you in advance for your replies and advice.

Your best bet may be to move to Ireland and make it your new home and apply for your parents to settle with you as a UK national in Ireland. At least it's closer to the UK than Lebanon is and if you all settled in Ireland long enough to become citizens, you can always move back to the UK. It'll take several years but you'll get there eventually.

Your parents need to be at least 66 years old or older.

Goodluck!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:04 pm

seekingadvice87 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:49 pm
if you all settled in Ireland long enough to become citizens, you can always move back to the UK. It'll take several years but you'll get there eventually.
I would have to disagree on this part. As it stands now, there won't be any real pathway to citizenship.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-cont ... ission.pdf
8.5 It should be noted that initial permission will be granted for a 12-month period on Stamp
0 conditions. Permissions to reside are regarded as temporary but may be renewed after
the first year on a Stamp 0 basis, for a further 2 year period and thereafter on a 3-year
basis. This is provided that on renewal, the conditions under which the initial
permission was granted continue to be met
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 10-09/191/
I am further advised that a permission on Stamp 0 conditions is a low level immigration status which is not intended to be reckonable for long term residence or citizenship.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:48 pm

Further to the previous advice regarding bringing your parents to live in the UK, as has already been mentioned an Adult Dependent Visa application has a slim to zero chance of succeeding, unless:
Both of your parents require daily help with basic tasks such as bathing, dressing and preparing food etc.
AND
The care is either not available in their own country, or is not affordable.
Regarding finance, the Entry Clearance Officer would take the view that if you can afford to support the costs of their care in the UK, you would be able to afford the care fees in their home country.

Many of the relatively small number of cases which have succeeded since the Immigration Rules were tightened in July 2012 have done so following a lengthy and costly legal challenge. Basically, the Home Office doesn't support chain migration.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.