ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP ILR JR: backdated child benefit claim

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

old_hsmp
Newly Registered

HSMP ILR JR: backdated child benefit claim

Post by old_hsmp » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 am

Has anyone been able to claim backdated child benefit or child tax credit based on HSMP ILR JR? My backdated claim was not accepted therefore I am appealing against it.

hert

Post by hert » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:46 am

old_hsmp,
If you look at HMRS website you would all details. This is what i found in your case: "We can only backdate Child Benefit for up to three months.."

Hope, it helps
Cheers

old_hsmp
Newly Registered

Post by old_hsmp » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:52 am

hert wrote:old_hsmp,
If you look at HMRS website you would all details. This is what i found in your case: "We can only backdate Child Benefit for up to three months.."

Hope, it helps
Cheers
I have been through all that. The didn't even backdated up to three months although I sent them copy of the backdated ILR letter from Home Office.

Lynx-X
Newly Registered

Child Benefit Claim timeline

Post by Lynx-X » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:51 pm

What is the timeline before you started receiving your child benefit? I have post mine about 2 months ago and I only receive a reply acknowledge the form submission and the original BC were returned.
I would appreciate if you can share the timeline between the claim submission and time you starting receiving the benefit. Thank you in advance.

peejay

Re: Child Benefit Claim timeline

Post by peejay » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Lynx-X wrote:What is the timeline before you started receiving your child benefit? I have post mine about 2 months ago and I only receive a reply acknowledge the form submission and the original BC were returned.
I would appreciate if you can share the timeline between the claim submission and time you starting receiving the benefit. Thank you in advance.
it took me 7 weeks from posting the form to recieving money into my account..

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:45 am

It took 10 weeks for me. They backdated the payments to only 3 months.
BB

Sten

Post by Sten » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:16 am

don't include the letter, it will confuse them and delay the claim, keep it simple

took 2-3 weeks, backdated 3 months ...
Good luck !

munisa

Post by munisa » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:36 am

Lynx-X wrote:What is the timeline before you started receiving your child benefit? I have post mine about 2 months ago and I only receive a reply acknowledge the form submission and the original BC were returned.
I am astonished as well cos I posted my claim forms for both CT and TC on 27th May 2009 and they have not yet paid anything. They have asked for passports three times and each time they send them back with complimentary note saying ''Please find enclosed your passports, do not send us anything else unless we ask for it''.

Anybody else in similar situation? It is now heading to 4 months!
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

HSMPLover

Post by HSMPLover » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi,

I applied Child Benefit in first week of July and called there twice.

First time called, they told the application enroled date and they said it will take some time and we will write you if anything needed.

Second time called, they said your 8 weeks will be completed in first week of September, then we will be able to tell you any status, if decision made in between we will write you.

But no update until today.

Regards
HSMPLover.

Filipinas

Child Benefit Claim Timeline

Post by Filipinas » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:40 pm

I received the same replies as HSMPLover. According to HMRC Child Benefit Ofc. it usually takes 8 weeks but it can take until 26weeks if one of the children was born out of UK since they have to get intouch with the country of origin concerned. It will all depend on how fast the said country would reply. From the explanation, they are checking if such a benefit is also being claimed in the said country or something to that effect.

I think all these delays are cimcumstancial, so if you have the patience to wait then wait it out a bit more, calling every now and then but if not - I heard on another forum that you could badger them with phone calls and they said it worked for them (it is a forum re:bristish and non-british claimants complaining on the wait that they had to put up with the CB claims).

I don't think the attachment of a copy of the HSMP ILR JR letter is an issue.

Filipinas

HSMPLover

Re: Child Benefit Claim Timeline

Post by HSMPLover » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:49 pm

Just to clarify both of my children born in UK.

it can take until 26weeks if one of the children was born out of UK since they have to get intouch with the country of origin concerned. It will all depend on how fast the said country would reply.

But I was told that:

"My application was recieved by them in first week of July and they said your claim registration date has been set to first week of July."

What I understood from it that whenever they decide about my application they will start CB from first week of July....

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
HSMPLover.

Filipinas

HSMP Lover

Post by Filipinas » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Dear HSMP Lover,

I would just share CB Office's reply to us when we 1st called. When we followed up 5 weeks after they have confirmed in writing that they received the application form and had returned the BCs, that their SLA is 8 weeks and they try to meet that standard of service. According to them, since it was just the 5th week then, they are still within their target and we should wait for the 8 weeks.

The second time we called they said that the date of receipt of our claim was 10th of July. We did clarify if there would be any backdating and the one who answered said "yes- three months maximum from July." Yet, as this is not in black and white and a 26 week timeline was given (1 of my sons isn't born in UK) I am not too sure if this reply will be consistent to the next one I'll get.

Maybe it would be best if you get back to them around the 8th week and express to them that you are expecting a 3 month backdating. The "claim registration date" might just as be their reference date of receipt. I must say that there are quite a number of us under HSMP ILR JR that received backdating.

Thus, my 1 pence worth for old_hsmp, I would go ahead and appeal- since others definitely did get it.

Filipinas

HSMPLover

Re: HSMP Lover

Post by HSMPLover » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:09 am

Hi Filipinas,

Yesterday I called as my 8 Weeks completed and they said the same:

as this is not in black and white and a 26 week timeline was given (1 of my sons isn't born in UK) I am not too sure if this reply will be consistent to the next one I'll get.

The only difference is that she asked me about my children if any of them born outside UK & my reply was "NO".

The only hopeful thing was said to me that after 8 weeks you must start getting some correspondence from CB.

So, I am thinking I should stop calling them and lets wait how much they can delay (26 Weeks).

Regards
HSMPLover

anotherspouse
Newly Registered

Re: HSMP ILR JR: backdated child benefit claim

Post by anotherspouse » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:22 am

old_hsmp wrote:Has anyone been able to claim backdated child benefit or child tax credit based on HSMP ILR JR? My backdated claim was not accepted therefore I am appealing against it.
Both my sons were born in the UK. At first CB only was willing to pay from the date we got our ILR. I appealed and sent to the CB department the original letter that backdates the ILR and copy of my passport. They accepted it and pay for the previous 3 months (for both my kids).

munisa

Re: HSMP ILR JR: backdated child benefit claim

Post by munisa » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:09 pm

I have waited for 18 weeks this week since I applied. I have sent passports and birth certificates 4 times (each time they have asked for them then sent them back to me with a note aknowledging their receipt). When I phone them this week, they said they are waiting for a decision from the HEAD OFFICE.. I asked when that decision is expected and I was told by the 19th September, almost 21 weeks since I applied. Does anyone know if I will get paid for more than 3 weeks as they have held my application all along? And what is this head office?

Rex

Post by Rex » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:23 pm

i applied on 6th july after getting ILR-JR on 3rd july.

I was told today that my claim is declined as my child does not live in uk.

whereas i can prove that she has been living in uk for more than 4 yrs.

i have nursery and school enrollment proofs.

moderators, and other group members plz suggest if this situation is experienced by anyone else.

what should i do next? they said they will send explanation letter.

i only submitted birth certificate as nothing else was asked for.

my child was born in Pakistan.

Pisces

Post by Pisces » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Rex wrote:i applied on 6th july after getting ILR-JR on 3rd july.

I was told today that my claim is declined as my child does not live in uk.

whereas i can prove that she has been living in uk for more than 4 yrs.

i have nursery and school enrollment proofs.

moderators, and other group members plz suggest if this situation is experienced by anyone else.

what should i do next? they said they will send explanation letter.

i only submitted birth certificate as nothing else was asked for.

my child was born in Pakistan.
I would suggest you wait for the explanation letter then take any action accordingly. If she is living in the UK with you regardless where she is born you are entitled for child benefit after ILR.

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:12 pm

i explanation letter today. it says nothing but

you cannot get child benefit as your child is not residing in uk.

i called then and asked what proof should i send and they said letter from school which i have asked for.

let see what happens whn they receive it. i will be posting it on ~Tuesday.

HSMPLover

Re: HSMP Lover

Post by HSMPLover » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 am

Hi,

Just a little update.

This saturday I got letter from CB department after 3 months.

The letter stated that:

"We want to confirm/verify your ILR status in UK......"

"Please send us your passport as in original"

also

"Please send us any home office document that you have stating your ILR in original."

I have sent both documents in a special delivery with pre-paid envelop as well.

I am wondering what kind of their service is, Initially when I put my application I sent all the photocopies of my document including HOME office letter, Passport, child Birth certificates.??????

VERY POOR.

Lets see what will the outcome now.........

Regards
HSMPLover.

Filipinas

UPDATE on claim

Post by Filipinas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:14 am

Hi, guys how's everything at your end (HSMPLover, munisa, anotherspouse and Rex). Hope you guys have gotten a clearer info from HMRC. As for my family... ALAS... we received the approval letter (after 18weeks) and the benefit came into our elected account. I was actually surprised that the money came less than a week after we received a letter saying that the application has been processed and that it has been approved.

The claim was backdated 3 months from the time we applied (July i.e., payment computation started as of April).

I hope I am not sounding greedy here it's just that I don't know what to expect or should expect... I wonder if the £250 start up fund will also be paid to us and would it just be for the child who was born here in UK or for both kids (1 son wasn't born in UK)? Has anyone been to this process and/ was in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.
Filipinas

Filipinas

Child Trust Fund benefit

Post by Filipinas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:44 am

Ok got the answer from the government helpline itself. Just wanted to share... as it goes, my younger son qualifies for the CTF not because of the place where he is born but because of the date he was born.

The 4 primary rules to qualify for this are the following:
-your child was born on or after 1 September 2002
-your child lives in the UK
-you receive Child Benefit for your child and
-your child is not subject to immigration control.

Since my older son was born earlier than 1September 2002, then he is not qualified.

I was also told if the family came from a low income family- they might be able to get an additional £250voucher. And it will be paid one month after the 1st child benefit payment has been received.

Just some sharing- hopefully others would benefit from this...

Filipinas

HSMPLover

Re: UPDATE on claim

Post by HSMPLover » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:05 am

Hi Filipinas,

Congrats (We have to congrats every on CB approval as well)

Still Waiting...No Reply...

"They have taken much more time as compared to Home office :lol: :lol: :lol: "

I will update once I get any response....

Regards
HSMPLover.

Filipinas wrote:Hi, guys how's everything at your end (HSMPLover, munisa, anotherspouse and Rex). Hope you guys have gotten a clearer info from HMRC. As for my family... ALAS... we received the approval letter (after 18weeks) and the benefit came into our elected account. I was actually surprised that the money came less than a week after we received a letter saying that the application has been processed and that it has been approved.

The claim was backdated 3 months from the time we applied (July i.e., payment computation started as of April).

I hope I am not sounding greedy here it's just that I don't know what to expect or should expect... I wonder if the £250 start up fund will also be paid to us and would it just be for the child who was born here in UK or for both kids (1 son wasn't born in UK)? Has anyone been to this process and/ was in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.
Filipinas

munisa

Re: UPDATE on claim

Post by munisa » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:41 am

Filipinas wrote:Hi, guys how's everything at your end (HSMPLover, munisa, anotherspouse and Rex). Hope you guys have gotten a clearer info from HMRC. As for my family... ALAS... we received the approval letter (after 18weeks) and the benefit came into our elected account. I was actually surprised that the money came less than a week after we received a letter saying that the application has been processed and that it has been approved.

Thanks in advance.
Filipinas
I received the approval letter with a fresh application form to fill exactly 20 weeks since aplying. I decided to ignore the new application form (as it would start my process afresh). One week later, they have credited my account backdated 16 weeks! So guys just keep calling TCO as many times as you can till they pay.

newuser11
Newly Registered

Post by newuser11 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:21 am

I applied for child Benefit on 7th July for 2 kids (one born in UK and second outside of UK )

Last month they told me that they have forward my file to account department and i will get the money in couple of weeks.

Still waiting for money.

Filipinas

Newuser

Post by Filipinas » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Newuser11,

Have you received their confirmation letter? You are supposed to receive one - it's just a letter of advice that they are done with the processing and you should expect another letter as to when and how much you'd receive for the 1st payment.

Hope you'd get it soon - anyway if they say they are processing it- it would go straight to the bank that you elected.

Filipinas