ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! How can I get my passport back from HCI, London?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bototo

Help! How can I get my passport back from HCI, London?

Post by bototo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:06 pm

My Indian passport expired in summer last year. I made several attempts to get it renewed by post but they sent the application back on one pretext or the other - not signed in the right place, proof of ILR not included (despite the fact that it was) etc.

I suspect (though it was never explained to me) that if ILR is not stamped in the passport and is a separate document issued by UKBF the Indian HC prefers to see you in person.

So I decided to go in person and members here kindly advised me on the procedure for in-person applications.

So in November I went in person, submitted my passport, my original ILR and the usual Special Delivery pre-paid envelope. And I expected to get my passport back shortly after. It never arrived.

In the middle of December they phoned me to say they wanted the covering letter that came with the ILR. Not everybody keeps that boilerplate letter but I fortunately had it. I sent it to the email address they provided and quoted all the relevant reference numbers. No reply. A month later I forwarded the email to them. No reply. I sent that email to a couple of other email addresses I found for them at different domains. Still no reply. There seems to be no phone number you can call and speak to an semi-intelligent human on. I get only answer machines.

It's been several months now. Anyone has any suggestions on how I can get my pasport and my ILR doc back?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:01 pm

I guess it is time for you to visit HCI london personally and enquire about your case. Emails and phone calls will be of no help, given the situation you are in.

regards

bototo

Post by bototo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Is there a reason you believe this would work? Bearing in mind the collection counter probably requires submission of a ticket for passports scheduled for that day, which counter do you suggest I go to?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Visit the HCI in the morning, not during collection time! That time is for afternoon nap for everyone except the one(s) handing out the passports.

The point is, a passport re-issue takes less than a week when applied for in person and usually 3-4 weeks when applied for by post, and in your case it's been several months and you haven't got your passport. Don't you want to know why?

You've tried your best (hopefully) from home. It hasn't worked! So I believe it is in your own interest to pay the Indian Govt. clerks a personal visit and enquire about the case.

Reach there early morning, get a token to enter, go to the passport counter, tell the clerk your problem and ask him for answers. If he cannot give them to you, demand for an audience with a senior official. Raise a hue and cry ... and see how fast you'll have your (new) passport in your pocket! :P

regards

bototo

Post by bototo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 am

>>go to the passport counter
Er, which passport counter? There's one for dropping off and one for collection. Do you know if there's a different counter for problems like these.

>>Raise a hue and cry ...
No thank you. In these security conscious days I'm not going to a high commission - any high commission - with the intent of causing a commotion!

Has nobody any recommendation of a phone number that works, a route to resolution such as a special delivery complaint letter to a particular official etc? Thank you for your help, sushdmehta, but the idea of going to the HCI did occur to me. It's just that I have no reason to believe they can resolve it at those counters ... or even if they can entertain an enquiry like this there. They seem to have two counters - one to take passports and one to give passports out. And knowing what prats they are I can see both counters turning me away as they are not "enquiry desks".

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Hope you get a new passport issued to you soon. All the best.

regards

bototo

Post by bototo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for your good wishes.

Nobody has any other suggestions then? :(

bototo

Problem Solved

Post by bototo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:44 pm

At last I worked out the secret and the solution to the problem.

And you won't believe how simple it is. I reproduce it here in case it helps anybody else in a similar situation.

As I said above multiple emails (to all the email addresses I could find) didn't do the trick. Several months passed.

Then I thought I'd try a different tactic before going down in person. I sent the same information by fax. That was the trigger. Within 28 hours I had my passport.

Obviously the idiots there can't be bothered to print stuff off emails (or don't read emails) but if it prints off on their fax machine they go ahead and use them.

swapnil.kashyap
Newly Registered

Post by swapnil.kashyap » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 am

I have faxed today based on bototo experience. I am waiting for my passport surrender certificate sent on the 17th of Feb, they say 1 week, but its 3 now & as usual the embassy guys find it demeaning to pick up phones. HCI should invest in a call centre. However they seem to have lack of funds, hence the charges I would imagine.
If this works then I will post the results.

swapnil.kashyap
Newly Registered

Post by swapnil.kashyap » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:56 am

Folks, I got the Surrender Certificate in post today (16th Mar 2010). From the day of sending (16th Feb 2010), it has taken exactly 1 month as of today. I am unsure if it was my fax or that it has taken as long as it should. So guys have limitless faith on our Embassys & High Commission. As our saying goes "Un ke ghar der hai andher nahi". :D

ericwilliam
BANNED

Post by ericwilliam » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:26 am

Hello,
I am waiting for my passport surrender certificate sent on the 20th of Feb, they say 1 week, but its 3 now & as usual the embassy guys find it demeaning to pick up phones. HCI should invest in a call centre. However they seem to have lack of funds, hence the charges I would imagine.