ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Cap

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Immigration Cap

Post by Sky_High » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:21 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10422895.stm

24000 T1 visas will be issued until April. (1300 lower than last year)

Wait for Monday for full details.

rahul12345

Post by rahul12345 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:29 am

Will this cap effect Tire 1 General (equivalent to HSMP) visas also? Or it will only certificate of sponsorship?

John

Post by John » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:36 am

As I understand it ..... more details to be released on Monday .... the cap affects Tier 1 and Tier 2 visas. It does not affect other Tiers, nor Settlement visas issued to spouses, fiancé(e)s etc.
John

T90

Post by T90 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:42 am

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx ... =153926160

affects both tier1 & tier2

Just 24,100 workers from outside Europe will be allowed into the country before April, with highly-skilled migrants having to meet tighter conditions

shs213

Post by shs213 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:57 am

T90 wrote:http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx ... =153926160

affects both tier1 & tier2

Just 24,100 workers from outside Europe will be allowed into the country before April, with highly-skilled migrants having to meet tighter conditions
Just heard on bbc, they said it's going to affect highly mig immigrants too... They also mentioned they are going to make it harder for HSM workeres to find work in the UK....

it will be more difficult for NEW T1 applicants than others...

muhandis.ak

Post by muhandis.ak » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:53 am

i just cant believe my bad luck, have a july 9th appointment at VFS for submitting my T1 app! Kala

dev106
BANNED

Post by dev106 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:25 pm

can any explain, will this temporary cap going to effect those who are allready in uk?? those people who are about to apply for the IN COUNTRY tire-1 general in next 4 to 5 months or before april 2011?? what would be its impact in the long term applicants???

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:16 pm

This is going to affect only new commers T1. (Not T2).

Do not worry, this is not a big change. Last year they issued the same number of T1 visas. (As you can see from BBC that this cap is going to reduce total number of visas by 1300.)

Actual change and proper cap will be after April-11.

John

Post by John » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:41 pm

What evidence is there is will not affect Tier 2? The Government is talking about "economic migrants" which surely means both Tier 1 and Tier 2.

I hope it will be made clear on Monday, when the Home Secretary makes her announcement, if a particular visa application passes every other test, but then gets hit by the cap, and therefore refused, will they get their application fee back?
John

wphsmpteir1

Post by wphsmpteir1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:09 pm

I guess the biggest question is will this effect in-country candidates as well... what i can't understand - if you are on Tier-1 and is looking for extending your stay will this cap apply or not ... imagine u have a mortgage and when your turn comes to renew your visa (ie 28-days before expiry) HO says sorry the quto is full and you can't apply for renewal... , is the cap for fresh applications only... guess we need to wait and watch....

vet

Post by vet » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:33 pm

waiting for the monday's news :(

just worried if it is going to affect people who is planning to apply immediately ( in another 1 or 2 months ) :(

kito
Newly Registered

Post by kito » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Sky_High wrote:This is going to affect only new commers T1. (Not T2).

Do not worry, this is not a big change. Last year they issued the same number of T1 visas. (As you can see from BBC that this cap is going to reduce total number of visas by 1300.)

Actual change and proper cap will be after April-11.
According to daily mail, it neither affects T1 nor existing visa holders,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rants.html

But then again, all of this may change on Monday :-(

adnanmanzoor

Post by adnanmanzoor » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Adnan

dev106
BANNED

Post by dev106 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:22 pm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100626/tuk ... a1618.html

Just 24,100 workers from outside Europe will be allowed into the country before April, with highly-skilled migrants having to meet tighter conditions, it was revealed.!!!means wht???

>>what does 24,100 figure means exactly??? does this includes people coming from outside or does it include even the in-country applications???

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure it will effect people who want to switch from Tier 2 to Tier 1, or vice versa. Even now, if you want to change visas, you fall under what the current criteria is. If you can't meet the new requirement, you stay on your current visa.

I don't think extensions will be effected, they do not count against the quota in Switzerland or in the US. Wouldn't worry about extensions. Also, I'm sure there will be transitional arrangements.

Wouldn't get to worked up about it.
Andy

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:14 pm

I also don't think it will effect people who want to change jobs under Tier 1 or Tier 2. I think it is just for new arrivals only.
Andy

onlyuk

Post by onlyuk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:24 pm

what do u guys think. If number is fixed to 24100. I think it should be the number of the main applicants who are using PBS to apply.

Will it include the number of dependants as well which apply with or after their visa clearance.

I believe it should be the number of only the main applicants not the main applicants plus dependants.

Dependants should be out of this. Thoughts plese..

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:18 am

CORRECTION: Immigration Crap! ;)
Goodluck.

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:50 am

The more worrying part is that they are going to bring in cap in April 2011 for those as well who are in country at that time. That could eventually mean that they may put cap on ILR/PR as well or may not renew Tier 1 visa by putting more restrictions. They may not renew Tier 2 visa at all after it expires. One thing is certain its uphill from hereon.

IMHO4u
BANNED

Post by IMHO4u » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:17 am

manishmittal wrote:The more worrying part is that they are going to bring in cap in April 2011 for those as well who are in country at that time. That could eventually mean that they may put cap on ILR/PR as well or may not renew Tier 1 visa by putting more restrictions. They may not renew Tier 2 visa at all after it expires. One thing is certain its uphill from hereon.
source please? OR did you imagined this one in your dream?

For me this cap is similar to H1/others, new main applicants T1/T2 (within or outside). Others not affected.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:18 am

manishmittal wrote:The more worrying part is that they are going to bring in cap in April 2011 for those as well who are in country at that time. That could eventually mean that they may put cap on ILR/PR as well or may not renew Tier 1 visa by putting more restrictions. They may not renew Tier 2 visa at all after it expires. One thing is certain its uphill from hereon.

that is impossible. they can not put a cap on people already in the UK. All they can do is to make it tough to extend the visa.
They can get rid of Tier 1 but they have to come up with some alternative for people extending their tier 1 (remember hsmp to tier 1?)
Putting cap on ILR is impossible, again they'd make it difficult to get ILR
Goodluck.

Faye_hen
Newly Registered

Post by Faye_hen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:06 am

If a cap of 24100 is to be introduced, is it possible that the cap will be reached within a month?

I can't see this happening but would like to know your thoughts. I believe the cap to be reached by December 2010 making those who apply in the first 3 months (July, August & Sept) during the cap to be okay.

Are my assumptions correct?

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:09 am

The more worrying part is that they are going to bring in cap in April 2011 for those as well who are in country at that time. That could eventually mean that they may put cap on ILR/PR as well or may not renew Tier 1 visa by putting more restrictions. They may not renew Tier 2 visa at all after it expires. One thing is certain its uphill from hereon

No one has said (except for the daily mail) that they were going to cap people who are already here. It would have been announced in the other reportings as well. NO, all they are doing is placing a cap on the number of visas issued and tightening Tier 1. End of. No panic necessary.

Tier 1 will probably have the threshold lifted and a return to the Master's Degree requirement.
Andy

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:50 am

Faye_hen wrote:If a cap of 24100 is to be introduced, is it possible that the cap will be reached within a month?

I can't see this happening but would like to know your thoughts. I believe the cap to be reached by December 2010 making those who apply in the first 3 months (July, August & Sept) during the cap to be okay.

Are my assumptions correct?

Hi ,

My friend it is already been reached .. just think 100 of applications already at Embassy so .... do not say till DEC .. IMO, it's already reached .. from next week or month i.e July 2010 .. check the number of people here in board saying passport received & visa stamped .. my friend , IMO , they will be really less ......... but CAP is good and the people already here will get rates and jobs .......... right now a 40K jobs ends in 20K job ........ so CAP is good for all of us already here in UK .
Thanks

Ali

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:14 am

right now a 40K jobs ends in 20K job
...doesn't seem to be the case...where I work it is difficult to find people with the right skills...even with 'high number' of highly skilled immigrants.
but CAP is good and the people already here will get rates and jobs
..... only if they do not apply the changes retrospectively..
Besides a cap of 24100 does not mean that the best 24100 gets through...
Without reshuffling of skills & resources every now & then, a company will find it difficult to stay ahead on cost & quality

I sincerely hope that HO do not apply these changes retrospectively.

The one time they did, they had to get into a legal battle which they lost. There was also some transitional arrangement where if the person did not qualify for the new HSMP rules, they could get their employer to sponsor their WP without a labor market test. So people who were really wanted by their employers could still stay on... (Please correct me if I am wrong here...)

For the recent changes they made to T1 in April 2010 they had made transitional arrangements for people already here in the UK.

I did have a legitimate expectation like my fellow HSMP & T1 holders that I can extend my visa and settle here in the UK at some point if I paid my taxes, continued to be economically active as I was required and stayed on the right side of the law when I came into this country.