ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I claim VAT for products bought here when I leave UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

elayaraja79
Newly Registered

Can I claim VAT for products bought here when I leave UK?

Post by elayaraja79 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi, I came here for studies and a friend of mine said we can collect taxes and VAT when we leave the country . Is it true? If it is true what is the procedure? This is my first post here and seeking some help :)

Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Check with HMRC

regards

elayaraja79
Newly Registered

Post by elayaraja79 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks for your help.What about taxes i have paid while i was working here? Can I get back the tax money I paid?

Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:09 am

elayaraja79 wrote:Thanks for your help.What about taxes i have paid while i was working here? Can I get back the tax money I paid?

Thanks
You can only claim any excess tax paid. Nothing more.

regards

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:39 am

elayaraja79 wrote:Thanks for your help.What about taxes i have paid while i was working here? Can I get back the tax money I paid?

Thanks
If due to leaving the country you are only going to work part of the current tax year then you should be be due a refund of some or maybe even all of the taxes you've paid this tax year.

elayaraja79
Newly Registered

Post by elayaraja79 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:14 pm

[quote="djb123"][quote="elayaraja79"]Thanks for your help.What about taxes i have paid while i was working here? Can I get back the tax money I paid?

Thanks[/quote]

If due to leaving the country you are only going to work part of the current tax year then you should be be due a refund of some or maybe even all of the taxes you've paid this tax year.[/quote]

Thanks .But I couldnt understand clearly. I am leaving the country permanently and where can i find more information on whether I am eligible for any tax money i am eligible for claiming?

Thanks for your help guyz

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:27 pm

What is important to understand is that when anyone employed in UK (therefore paying income tax) decides to leave UK (for good or for an extended period of time), he is only entitled to claim back any excess tax (already) paid and not any tax rebate or full tax refund!

e.g. -
Assuming that annual income tax libaility for an employed person is GBP 12K and his employer deducts 1K every month from his salary as income tax. But after working for 3 months (Apr, May and June) the employee decides to leave UK. In such case, therefore, the employee is only liable to pay income tax on the 3 months of salaried income in the tax year.

Now, if the income tax lability is less than 3K (1K tax deducted by employer at source x 3 months = 3K), the individual can claim refund of the excess tax paid. In other words, claim = 3K - income tax on 3 month's income (that he received in Apr, May and June).

He is not entitled to anything more than this.

regards

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 pm

You may also request for a NI rebate,study this-
http://www.nirebateonline.com/

elayaraja79
Newly Registered

Post by elayaraja79 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:13 pm

[quote="Blackwater1"]You may also request for a NI rebate,study this-
http://www.nirebateonline.com/[/quote]

Thanks mate,thats a great information!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Blackwater1 wrote:You may also request for a NI rebate,study this-
That would be the pension portion transfered to another pension scheme I reckon. Haven't read it in detail.

Basically if you've worked here for any length of time under PAYE with the correct tax code you won't get anything back other than the possibility of a pension fund transfer.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:49 am

Wanderer wrote:
That would be the pension portion transfered to another pension scheme I reckon. Haven't read it in detail.
Yes. From state pension scheme to a private pension fund.

regards

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:21 am

It is a very good scheme for non EU students,Tier1,2 who may not work here throughout their lives.The rebate from HMRC is transferred to AXA stakeholder pension fund that can be transferred to your private pension fund back home approved by HMRC.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/qrops.pdf

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:24 am

Here's how you claim any taxes that you are due back.

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc ... formId=766

Basically the amount you could be due assuming you have the normal tax code (647) and pay basic rate tax only (20%) is about £108 for every month until the end of the tax (April 5th), though the amount you will get back will be limited to the amount you've paid this tax year.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:36 am

djb123 wrote:Here's how you claim any taxes that you are due back.

Basically the amount you could be due assuming you have the normal tax code (647) and pay basic rate tax only (20%) is about £108 for every month until the end of the tax (April 5th), though the amount you will get back will be limited to the amount you've paid this tax year.
Can you explain please, the whole basis of PAYE is that assuming the tax code is correct, the correct amount of tax is deducted every month, it self adjusts if something goes out of kilter, and I would say in my experience it's correct 99.99% of the time. In your example above, I can't see how there is any tax rebate due.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:37 am

sushdmehta wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Yes. From state pension scheme to a private pension fund.

regards
No doubt after a sizeable commission deducted by the website people when you can do it yourself....

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Wanderer wrote:

Can you explain please, the whole basis of PAYE is that assuming the tax code is correct, the correct amount of tax is deducted every month, it self adjusts if something goes out of kilter, and I would say in my experience it's correct 99.99% of the time. In your example above, I can't see how there is any tax rebate due.
It works fine if you work the whole year, but not if you only work the first few months and then stop working - it can't self-adjust.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:31 pm

djb123 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

It works fine if you work the whole year, but not if you only work the first few months and then stop working - it can't self-adjust.
Ahh, now I get you - I was assuming the person in question would stop work and leave immediately...

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Wanderer wrote:
djb123 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Ahh, now I get you - I was assuming the person in question would stop work and leave immediately...
I don't think that it would matter if they did leave the UK straightaway, as I don't think the UK income tax personal allowance is reduced if you are not resident in the UK for the whole of the tax year.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:13 pm

djb123 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
djb123 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
I don't think that it would matter if they did leave the UK straightaway, as I don't think the UK income tax personal allowance is reduced if you are not resident in the UK for the whole of the tax year.
I think it would - I think PAYE does self-adjust if you start work later in the tax year. Mind u I know it doesn't make the adjustments all at once so you may be right.

I'm going to shut up now.