ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting a new passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lana
Newly Registered

Getting a new passport

Post by lana » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:57 pm

I got my British passport in 2004 but looks like will need a new one soon as the pages have almost run out thanks to all my trips to Nigeria, China and Kazakhstan on work(only 2 blank ones left- I did not get the 48 page one which was a mistake)! Do I apply for a new passport as usual or is there some other procedure? Also, will I get a new passport with 10 year validity from the date it is issued or will it be one with same validity as my current passport?
Thanks for help in advance.
Lana

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:46 pm

You will need to apply for a new 10-year passport .. and as you say ... you will apply for the thicker version.

The validity of the new passport will be 10 years from its issue date ... not 10 years from the start of the now nearly full one. If you were applying within the last nine months of validity of the existing passport then the unexpired time on the old one would get added to the period of validity of the new one .... but that does not apply to you .... you will get a straight 10 years.

You will need to supply your current passport with the application. It will be cancelled, but certainly returned to you to retain if you wish.
John

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:55 pm

I think you are OK.
If passport run out of pages the embassies normally attach visa (stick with a glue or similar ) with a proper stamp extending to the hard cover on the backside. This was my case with my Indian passport but may be the procedure is different now.
I got my British passport in 2004 but looks like will need a new one soon as the pages have almost run out thanks to all my trips to Nigeria, China and Kazakhstan on work(only 2 blank ones left- I did not get the 48 page one which was a mistake)! Do I apply for a new passport as usual or is there some other procedure? Also, will I get a new passport with 10 year validity from the date it is issued or will it be one with same validity as my current passport?

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:49 pm

vin123
The British passport is different than the Indian and many other passports. It says specifically on Page 2 you have to get a new passport when the pages run out.

The US passport is similar to the Indian passport. The embassy or passport office insert extra pages in the same manner with glue and a seal for free. You can even request a 48-page passport at no extra charge.

Not so with the British, who don't give extra pages and charge you more for the 48-page version. They definitely charge you by the page!

Joseph

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:04 am

I think they charge more for the extra pages Indian passport as well... atleast they do so in the IHC, London.

lana
Newly Registered

Post by lana » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:46 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
I will definitely apply for the 48 page passport this time :D :D