ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

forum look not user friendly

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Improvements for the new forum

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Administrator wrote:[I removed the list of moderators from the forum list page. I've also updated the responsive layout so you can always see last post by, number of posts, views, topics etc. You might need to refresh the page to see the changes!
Much better on phones now. Thanks.

Are you able to tell how many people access the site using a mobile phone? I would think a very large share so having the site mobile friendly is important.

There are still some improvements on the responsive layout (mobile devices) that can be done with regards to font size, ad size etc. If the designer can go over the current layout and provide his input, that would be great.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:11 am

Jambo wrote:
Administrator wrote:[I removed the list of moderators from the forum list page. I've also updated the responsive layout so you can always see last post by, number of posts, views, topics etc. You might need to refresh the page to see the changes!
Much better on phones now. Thanks.

Are you able to tell how many people access the site using a mobile phone? I would think a very large share so having the site mobile friendly is important.

There are still some improvements on the responsive layout (mobile devices) that can be done with regards to font size, ad size etc. If the designer can go over the current layout and provide his input, that would be great.
I do know how many people view our message board on mobile devices. Approximately 59% use desktop PCs, 30% use mobile devices and 11% use tablets. I can also tell that the number of visitors is starting to grow during the last few days, so our community is becoming larger. 8)

There is no doubt that mobile is important and it'll be even more important in a few years or so. That's the main reason why we are using the responsive approach. I made the text slightly larger on devices with screen width below 500px. I also made the top advert smaller. Things should look better on small screens now (you might need to do a page refresh to see the changes).

If you have any other suggestions, please share them here! :wink:

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 am

My question is, why can I not zoom in on my iPad air? When I do the spreading fingers to zoom, nothing happens. Any ideas?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 am

Amber_ wrote:My question is, why can I not zoom in on my iPad air? When I do the spreading fingers to zoom, nothing happens. Any ideas?
Do a refresh and try again.

itk
- thin ice -

Website update is confusing

Post by itk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Attn; Vinny, John and co.
First I will like to thank you for all the effort and time you've invested in putting this forum in place. Prior to now it was pretty straight forward and easy-pixy navigating this website. However, I must confess it's now becoming so complicated to differentiate between recent post and old ones as the website does not display current date of post rather it displays the date of joining the forum. May I suggest we do something about the date configuration please to reduce the level of confusion in trying to scan through which is recent post and old post. I look forward to it. many thanks

The earth is the Lord and fullness there of!
:) :) :)

therock
Member of Standing

Re: Website update is confusing

Post by therock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Exactly the same situation with me, I loved the previous layout, it was old classic layout, a lot easier to browse.
Immigrationboards is not the first company who will loose traffic because of redesign!

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Re: Website update is confusing

Post by Administrator » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:23 pm

itk wrote:Attn; Vinny, John and co.
First I will like to thank you for all the effort and time you've invested in putting this forum in place. Prior to now it was pretty straight forward and easy-pixy navigating this website. However, I must confess it's now becoming so complicated to differentiate between recent post and old ones as the website does not display current date of post rather it displays the date of joining the forum. May I suggest we do something about the date configuration please to reduce the level of confusion in trying to scan through which is recent post and old post. I look forward to it. many thanks

The earth is the Lord and fullness there of!
:) :) :)
itk, what do you mean? How is that you don't see the post date? Perhaps you need to look better? :)
post date.png
post date.png (22.81 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
You can even sort posts by post date ascending and descending. So I don't get the problem here...
sort by post date.png
sort by post date.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
therock wrote:Exactly the same situation with me, I loved the previous layout, it was old classic layout, a lot easier to browse.
Immigrationboards is not the first company who will loose traffic because of redesign!
therock, I uderstand that you got used to the 10 year old previous version of the immigrationboards.com. Actually our number of visitors have stayed about the same or even decreased while we had the old version. Now they are starting to grow slowly, so we are gaining more traffic - not loosing it. Give it some time and I am sure you'll like the new more feature rich version of immigrationboards.com! And please be more constructive - be specific about what you don't like and suggest some modifications.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:54 pm

For your convenience I've added subscribe/unsubscribe buttons on the top of the topic.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Editing a previously submitted post created multiple posts with corrections instead to amending the original post?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... ml#p973090
Last edited by ban.s on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 pm

ban.s wrote:Editing a previously submitted post created multiple posts with corrections instead to amending the original post?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... ml#p973090
Sorry to hear this ban.s. I have edited my posts myself, however I haven't noticed this kind of behavior... Anyone else having problems with this?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Many people's posts have been posted multiple times, I assumed it was a delay in the server.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Amber_ wrote:Many people's posts have been posted multiple times, I assumed it was a delay in the server.
Some days ago I had to modify the immigrationbaords.com database, which is quite huge, that might have caused performance issues. However today we shouldn't be having this kind of problems because I wasn't changing anything... Amber_, did you notice those duplicated posts today or was it a few days ago?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:45 pm

A few days ago, I did post a thread about it in our forum under the heading - Multiple Post - Technical Issue.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:07 am

Thanks ...I think it was probably a temp issue. I just edited my previous post twice. Worked fine.

Seneca

Post by Seneca » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 am

The white back ground behind all post make it difficult and taxing to read. Make it darker as it was before this upgrade.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Seneca wrote:The white back ground behind all post make it difficult and taxing to read. Make it darker as it was before this upgrade.
I've made the background slightly darker. Is it better now?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 pm

The grey background on every other post is better, I think. If that could be applied to all?

Seneca

Post by Seneca » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:11 pm

It is definitely better.

itk
- thin ice -

Getting Confused with Site

Post by itk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:24 pm

To Whom It may concern.
I am totally not happy with the running of this site. This forum used to be one of the best immigration portal one can ever find, but today the reverse is the case. Due to recent update and lot of changes one find it difficult to differentiate between the old post and the new post. Whoever, has done this never mean well for the general wellbeing of the forum members. On this note I move a motion that whoever has tampered with the setting of the site should as a matter of urgency reverse it back to where it was. It took me ages before I could trace a particular thread and even when I got it I couldn't really tell if it was an older post or a recent one. In the name of God please, I mean please do something and restore this site.
:( :( :(

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 am

itk wrote:To Whom It may concern.
I am totally not happy with the running of this site. This forum used to be one of the best immigration portal one can ever find, but today the reverse is the case. Due to recent update and lot of changes one find it difficult to differentiate between the old post and the new post. Whoever, has done this never mean well for the general wellbeing of the forum members. On this note I move a motion that whoever has tampered with the setting of the site should as a matter of urgency reverse it back to where it was. It took me ages before I could trace a particular thread and even when I got it I couldn't really tell if it was an older post or a recent one. In the name of God please, I mean please do something and restore this site.
:( :( :(
itk, could you be a bit more specific about the problem? Why is it hard to differentiate old & new posts? After opening a forum you get sticky topics on the top with the darkest background and then you get the latest posts ordered by date.

I am sorry, but we are not going to restore the previous version that was about 10 years old. Please be reasonable - if we wanted the message board to be one of the best immigration boards, we had to upgrade! Otherwise it would soon become the outdated, strangely looking message board, that was once great... I understand that there are people who got used to the old version, but we can't ignore the evolution of web technologies. If you have specific things that you don't like about the new version and would want them to be changed, I would be more than happy to hear your opinion. Old version was the best, please downgrade - isn't very constructive. Please don't ask for that, it's not getting us anywhere.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:28 am

If we could make all the background the same light grey colour (the same background as the post below this) I think that would resolve much of the criticism.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 pm

It used to be the case that once logged on, and then, after logging off, all posts were marked as read. Therefore, once one logged on latter on, only the posts made since last logged on were highlighted.

That said, I'm guessing as to what the poster itk means by "it was better before, please change back".

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Yes, now posts are only marked read when you open them, which I prefer.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 am

There is an option to mark posts as read in individual forums. I don't see there being an option to mark the whole board as read.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:51 am

On the home page/main page on the top right hand side there is:

'Mark forums read'