ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How feasible is this : Irish citizenship ?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joeking1809
Newly Registered

How feasible is this : Irish citizenship ?

Post by joeking1809 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Hello

I was born in South Africa in 1968, and never knew my father - he split from my mother shortly after I was born and my mum returned to the UK with me when I was 3 months old. He is not named on my birth certificate.

My father is/was South African, but his mother is/was Irish and his father French. I am lead to believe that she emigrated to SA in the late 1920s/1930s.

I have recently discovered that I have a half-sister and half brother in SA.

My question is this: If I can trace my half-brother and/or half-sister, I believe a DNA test can prove we share the same father (especially if the test is between my half brother and myself, since I am male). Would this be acceptable proof for me to claim Irish citizenship by descent, together with our father's South African birth certificate and our grandmother's Irish BC ?

Thank you
JK

Malika

Re: How feasible is this : Irish citizenship ?

Post by Malika » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:31 pm

joeking1809 wrote:Hello

I was born in South Africa in 1968, and never knew my father - he split from my mother shortly after I was born and my mum returned to the UK with me when I was 3 months old. He is not named on my birth certificate.

My father is/was South African, but his mother is/was Irish and his father French. I am lead to believe that she emigrated to SA in the late 1920s/1930s.

My question is this: If I can trace my half-brother and/or half-sister, I believe a DNA test can prove we share the same father (especially if the test is between my half brother and myself, since I am male). Would this be acceptable proof for me to claim Irish citizenship by descent, together with our father's South African birth certificate and our grandmother's Irish BC ?

Thank you
JK
I think you may be entitled to Citizenship based on the fact that your granny was Irish...... This is the link that you need to prove.

Regards,
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

joeking1809
Newly Registered

Post by joeking1809 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Malika wrote:
joeking1809 wrote:Hello

Thank you
JK
I think you may be entitled to Citizenship based on the fact that your granny was Irish...... This is the link that you need to prove.

Regards,
Thank you. I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear that I am asking whether the proof I described above would be sufficient :
1. DNA test between myself and my half-brother proving we share the same father
2. Birth certificate of our father naming our grandmother as his mother
3. Irish birth certificate of our grandmother

Thanks again !

Malika

Post by Malika » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Thank you. I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear that I am asking whether the proof I described above would be sufficient :

Thanks again ![/quote]

Yeah, I understand you........ I think the granny connection is stronger so you could, hopefully, go with that. concentrate on the bold above.

Regards,
Amran
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

joeking1809
Newly Registered

Post by joeking1809 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Malika wrote:Thank you. I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear that I am asking whether the proof I described above would be sufficient :

Thanks again !
Yeah, I understand you........ I think the granny connection is stronger so you could, hopefully, go with that. concentrate on the bold above.

Regards,
Amran[/quote]

Thanks Amran

The problem is that even with items 2 and 3, I still need to prove that he is/was my father since he is not named on my BC - so can I assume that a DNA test between myself and my half-brother (or myself and my father) if either of them can be traced, will be acceptable ?