ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence Card query

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

keloid

Residence Card query

Post by keloid » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi guys

On the granting of a Residence Card - will the immigration officer endorse the applicant's passport? Or will the immigration officer simply give you a new GNIB card with the EUFAM stamp on it? Or do they do both?

Thanks.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:58 pm

You get a stamp in your passport (stamp 4 for 5 years or till the expiry of your passport), and you will get a GNIB card with STAMP 4EUFAM on till for the same duration as the stamp in the passport

mstevens
Newly Registered

Post by mstevens » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:18 pm

agniukas wrote:You get a stamp in your passport (stamp 4 for 5 years or till the expiry of your passport), and you will get a GNIB card with STAMP 4EUFAM on till for the same duration as the stamp in the passport
Many thanks for this info :D

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:22 pm

agniukas wrote:You get a stamp in your passport (stamp 4 for 5 years or till the expiry of your passport), and you will get a GNIB card with STAMP 4EUFAM on till for the same duration as the stamp in the passport
The underlined would appear to be contrary to the directive.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 pm

once the passport validy is extended or a new passport issued, the remainder of the time would be given in the new passport.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
The underlined would appear to be contrary to the directive.
Article 11 says
The residence card provided for by Article 10(1) shall be valid for five years from the date of issue or for the envisaged period of residence of the Union citizen, if this period is less than five years.
There does not appear to be any authority to limit card's validity to the validity of the passport.

Article 10 says
a valid passport
Let's say I plan to live in the state with my EU family member for the foreseeable future and I have six months' validity remaining on my passport. I would expect my residence card to be valid for the next five years. If the Irish authorities limited it to the validity of my passport, I would complain.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 pm

well, if your passport expires in the next six month, for example, you get the stamp in your passport for the 6 months, and when you renew your passport, you will get the the remainder 4 years and 6 months stamp placed in your new passport.
think of it this way, your passport expired. you still have to get a new one... and you still want your stamp to be placed in your new passport...
your old passport is expired thus invalid. Therefore, any visas and permission endorsments in your old passport are no longer valid...
Logical, isn't it...
When you are granted permission to remain under Eu treaty rights, your permission letter from the department states that you have your permission for 5 years. so you are still going to get it, just in installments if your passport expires within that time.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 am

agniukas wrote:well, if your passport expires in the next six month, for example, you get the stamp in your passport for the 6 months, and when you renew your passport, you will get the the remainder 4 years and 6 months stamp placed in your new passport.
think of it this way, your passport expired. you still have to get a new one... and you still want your stamp to be placed in your new passport...
your old passport is expired thus invalid. Therefore, any visas and permission endorsments in your old passport are no longer valid...
Logical, isn't it...
When you are granted permission to remain under Eu treaty rights, your permission letter from the department states that you have your permission for 5 years. so you are still going to get it, just in installments if your passport expires within that time.
This is not logical at all to me.

Why do they need to bother stamping your passport in addition to issuing a card? Even if we concede that this is a good idea, why not stamp the passport for the full five years.

In general, visas that are valid in expired passports retain their validity. Of course a new passport is required to travel, but one can travel with both. This is pretty common practice the world over.

Like, I said, I'd complain. It's an administrative formality that is not required at all.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:13 pm

go ahead and complain :)

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:48 pm

agniukas wrote:go ahead and complain :)
Like I said, if I were affected by this I would. Where there are non-conformances, I like to point them out. If people wish to complain about them to improve things, good on them.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Slightly different topic, but this thread discusses expiry of passport, residence cards, et al.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=110584