ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First time passport application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dodi412
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by Dodi412 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:55 am

Vorona wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:20 am
Dodi412 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 pm
I’m applying for the Irish passport with a nationalisation certificate. I sent all the required documents but I haven’t got a passport to send as I have been recognised as a refugee and submitted my original passport to the department of justice back then and never got it back.

So would that be a problem for the dfat if they don’t see my passport?
No. If you have a refugee travel document, send that instead of passport. If they insist on seeing original passport, then ask the department to return it to you.

I don’t have that either, as i already sent my travel document to the department of justice after getting my approval in order to get my nationalisation certificate

GIGPH
Ireland

Post by GIGPH » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am

Dodi412 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:55 am
Vorona wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:20 am
Dodi412 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 pm
I’m applying for the Irish passport with a nationalisation certificate. I sent all the required documents but I haven’t got a passport to send as I have been recognised as a refugee and submitted my original passport to the department of justice back then and never got it back.

So would that be a problem for the dfat if they don’t see my passport?
No. If you have a refugee travel document, send that instead of passport. If they insist on seeing original passport, then ask the department to return it to you.

I don’t have that either, as i already sent my travel document to the department of justice after getting my approval in order to get my nationalisation certificate
Chat with passport support service through webchat and tell them your concern

maieboard
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by maieboard » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:40 pm

Seems like the info you gathered is true.
I applied on 22nd June, after that I am checking my status regularly via chat, and the sequence of statuses given are -
1. Register my application to system after receiving docs ==> Web tracker status turns to "Processing"
2. Waiting for scanning
3. Now, the latest (as on 6th Aug) status 'waiting to be checked' and I confirmed that my docs are scanned. ==> Web tracker still shows "processing". And the estimated date in the tracker has no significance.

GIGPH wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:45 pm
Hi All

Disclaimer - This info has been gathered by me in bits and pieces from various sources - so can not vouch for authenticity.

When we send application and they receive documents the status changes to 'processing'. Afterwards there is a queue for registering the docs and then a queue for scanning the docs. Then the queue for verification of docs - after which they go for printing. Too many queues !! We can not do much other than just smiling at the whole situation.

Please read disclaimer again :)

sugeie
Ghana

Post by sugeie » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:18 pm

Vorona wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:34 pm
Laminated birth certificates are not accepted. You need to ask your embassy to give you a replacement birth certificate. The birth record should exist.
Thanks for the reply. i did mention i read on the DFA website that laminated certs were not accepted but i wondered if anyone had been successful using one. Without maligning my country of origin, There is no national central registry of births so i am fresh out of luck on that one and i know for sure because my younger brother could not get his birth cert and had to get a sworn affidavit declaring birth. It is also confusing because this was the same document i used to apply for citizenship and why would be acceptable then but not for a passport application. And lastly, in the FAQ page, under the question, what to do if u cant find original certs, they refer you to the GRO of Ireland and the UK and not advised for foreign certs. If the point is to detect authentic documents, how can they authenticate a foreign document they have no idea of what materials are used in the genuine product.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:49 pm

sugeie wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:18 pm
Thanks for the reply. i did mention i read on the DFA website that laminated certs were not accepted but i wondered if anyone had been successful using one. Without maligning my country of origin, There is no national central registry of births so i am fresh out of luck on that one and i know for sure because my younger brother could not get his birth cert and had to get a sworn affidavit declaring birth. It is also confusing because this was the same document i used to apply for citizenship and why would be acceptable then but not for a passport application. And lastly, in the FAQ page, under the question, what to do if u cant find original certs, they refer you to the GRO of Ireland and the UK and not advised for foreign certs. If the point is to detect authentic documents, how can they authenticate a foreign document they have no idea of what materials are used in the genuine product.
Naturalisation and passport applications are processed by different departments. You are mistaken, they have examples of passports and birth certificated from all countries to compare documents with and ask the authorities in another countries to help to establish if documents are genuine or fake. Simply not being able to find the birth certificate is not a legitimate excuse, you will be asked to prove that you have tried to get a replacement and that it was not possible for this reason or another. The embassy or the consulate of your country should be able to help with replacement birth certificate or they can provide an official letter to confirm that it is not possible.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:05 pm

Dodi412 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:55 am
Then just ask the department to return your original passport or at least to give you a certified copy and the explanation letter why they can't give you the original passport.

sugeie
Ghana

Post by sugeie » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:30 pm

Vorona wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:49 pm
sugeie wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:18 pm
Naturalisation and passport applications are processed by different departments. You are mistaken, they have examples of passports and birth certificated from all countries to compare documents with and ask the authorities in another countries to help to establish if documents are genuine or fake. Simply not being able to find the birth certificate is not a legitimate excuse, you will be asked to prove that you have tried to get a replacement and that it was not possible for this reason or another. The embassy or the consulate of your country should be able to help with replacement birth certificate or they can provide an official letter to confirm that it is not possible.
thanks again for the reply. I am not mistaking, ii am very aware my country doesn't have a standardised version of birth certs and the texture of paper used, fonts etc depend on the hospital you were born in. Passports are standardised so you can spot a fake by way of comparison but not birth certs. Again i know my embassy cant get replacement certs because i have been through this process b4 with my brother and the best they could do was authenticate any document u present in front of them. My birth cert is not lost. it was laminated when i was a baby to preserve it. It is an original genuine document that has been rendered invalid because it was laminated. Anyways i wasn't trying to debate this facts, just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience and what they did to overcome it.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:54 pm

Then try to explain that if you're confident. Not much you can do.

GIGPH
Ireland

Post by GIGPH » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:25 pm

[/quote]

thanks again for the reply. I am not mistaking, ii am very aware my country doesn't have a standardised version of birth certs and the texture of paper used, fonts etc depend on the hospital you were born in. Passports are standardised so you can spot a fake by way of comparison but not birth certs. Again i know my embassy cant get replacement certs because i have been through this process b4 with my brother and the best they could do was authenticate any document u present in front of them. My birth cert is not lost. it was laminated when i was a baby to preserve it. It is an original genuine document that has been rendered invalid because it was laminated. Anyways i wasn't trying to debate this facts, just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience and what they did to overcome it.
[/quote]

There are a few stationary shops (atleast in some parts of the world - not sure of Ireland) which remove the lamination of the certificates. I got it done in Mumbai(India) for my educational cert. BUT there is always a risk that while removing the lamination - the document might get destroyed. So, think about it and if you want to take a risk with your document then maybe try for a shop which can remove lamination.

sugeie
Ghana

Post by sugeie » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:40 pm

GIGPH wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:25 pm

There are a few stationary shops (atleast in some parts of the world - not sure of Ireland) which remove the lamination of the certificates. I got it done in Mumbai(India) for my educational cert. BUT there is always a risk that while removing the lamination - the document might get destroyed. So, think about it and if you want to take a risk with your document then maybe try for a shop which can remove lamination.
[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was looking into that and some DIY methods of paper "delamination". But I've sent my application with the laminated birth cert in already and waiting for see if it gets returned before i think of a plan B. Anyone use Passport express to apply? The status on my application doesn't seem to mirror any stage ive read expressed by anyone on here. Mine just currently reads application received and gives an estimated issue date of 1/10/2021

Dodi412
Ireland

Post by Dodi412 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:18 pm

How long does it take them to scan the documents?

I sent all required documents about 5 days ago and the status on my application says “ On hold, pending receipt of documentation”

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:35 pm

Dodi412 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:18 pm
How long does it take them to scan the documents?
5 weeks if documents are in order.

alex98uk
Chile

Post by alex98uk » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:04 am

GIGPH wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:20 pm
My estimation says that your passport should be printed in next 4 days. Let us see :)
Still processing 😒

Summer2021
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Summer2021 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 am

Hi

Anyone waiting over 40 working days, from the day they received your documents?

drfas
Pakistan

Post by drfas » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:25 am

Quick update
I was chatting with the online team and they said that application is awaiting to be checked, all the documents are scanned on to the system.
Applied on 30/6
Processing since 2/7
As per the chat team another 4-5 weeks

klick02
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by klick02 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:16 am

I am in the same boat as sugeie.
I only have a laminated birth cert, which is the original one. It was accepted everywhere so far in my life. Even by DOJ :(
1) Has anyone or anyone's frnd ever had any success with it?

My application is open since almost 1 month 4 weeks. They keep saying, its waiting to be checked.

2. If a doc is scanned, and waiting to be checked, that means are my docs all good and accepted? (my birth cert?)

Atlantino
Newly Registered
Mood:
Algeria

Post by Atlantino » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:17 am

Summer2021 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 am
Hi

today is 2 months waiting for the day they received my documents ,and every time i call same response .your application is waiting for to be assigned for cheeker ,=which makes me thinking what kind of department is this ,somewhere els you would get your passport very quick .anyway waiting game will never end . :shock:

sugeie
Ghana

Post by sugeie » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:28 am

klick02 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:16 am
I only have a laminated birth cert, which is the original one. It was accepted everywhere so far in my life. Even by DOJ :(

My application is open since almost 1 month 4 weeks. They keep saying, its waiting to be checked.

2. If a doc is scanned, and waiting to be checked, that means are my docs all good and accepted? (my birth cert?)
Hey. good to know am not alone!! plus ur application is much more father along than mine ( am only 2 days in) please can you keep us posted on what happens with urs either way?

sugeie
Ghana

Post by sugeie » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:32 am

klick02 wrote:

Question? have u at least gotten your original documents back? ie passport and birth cert?

klick02
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by klick02 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 am

sugeie wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:32 am
klick02 wrote:

Question? have u at least gotten your original documents back? ie passport and birth cert?
I will definitely let you know. And I havent got anything back yet. Ideally my application should have finished on 12th July (as per the tracker).

GIGPH
Ireland

Post by GIGPH » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:09 am

Atlantino wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:17 am
Summer2021 wrote:
Hi

today is 2 months waiting for the day they received my documents ,and every time i call same response .your application is waiting for to be assigned for cheeker ,=which makes me thinking what kind of department is this ,somewhere els you would get your passport very quick .anyway waiting game will never end . :shock:
Hello, did you get your original documents back ?

alex98uk
Chile

Post by alex98uk » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:35 am

Summer2021 wrote:
Hi

45 days since receipt of documents here ☕

GIGPH
Ireland

Post by GIGPH » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:03 pm

Summer2021 wrote:
Hi

42 days and counting !!

drfas
Pakistan

Post by drfas » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Is it 40 working days?

amstillwaiting
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by amstillwaiting » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:57 pm

Meryembou wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:18 am
luj608 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:12 am
Hello,

My application is stuck due to asking for "original" birth certificate, I try to reach out to them explaining the birth certificate they got is an original certified copy and it's legalized under Hague apostille.

Has someone else has their application stuck due to this?

I do not have an "original" , instead whenever you need one you register in the registrar office and they give you an exact copy certified by law.
Hi,
I am just wondering if you sorted it out and if the passport office accepted the certified copy from you. I am facing the same challenge. they keep asking for the original which I can't provide as my country of origin only issue certified copy
I may be in the same situation soon. How did you resolve this?