ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage immigration interview registar office dublin help

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Johnnyjacobb
Newly Registered
Ireland

Marriage immigration interview registar office dublin help

Post by Johnnyjacobb » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:13 am

Hello all,

Myself (irish citizen) and my brazilian fiancee have an immigration interview on the same day as we meet the Registrars (in order to get married) office in dublin.

My fiancee is currently here illegally.

Has anybody who has been married in Ireland been through this interview? Any advise?

Or has anybody been through the process of getting married to somebody illegally in Ireland?

Unfortunately getting married abroad is now not possible.

StarKing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Marriage immigration interview registar office dublin help

Post by StarKing » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 am

Hi, her visa process will be more difficult so be prepared. The interview in the register office is not a big deal, just a couple of questions about how you met, where you live, and a few personal questions to make sure you know each other on a personal level, but nothing to be worried, my partner and I replied different stuff for the same question so you should be fine as long as you can demonstrate that you are in a real relationship. If you also have an appointment with the immigration I would let them know of your plans to get married it might help you later on.
Once you get married she will have to apply for her visa by post, the list of documents Is pretty much same as the citizenship one, they will require an explanation for remaining illegal in the country and the marriage. They will request both of your bank accounts statements, proof of address from both of you leaving in the same house, all this stuff.
My visa expired on a Friday and I got married on the following Monday, had to go through all this hassle, it took me around 12 months to get a decision, she will mostly likely not be given any extension of her visa or a new one until the decision is made, they say in this case you are not illegal, but you also don’t have a visa or permission to engage in business or employment, you will have to prove to the immigration that you can support both of yous during this time. This is what happened in my case.

They might request more documents halfway through the process.

Johnnyjacobb
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Johnnyjacobb » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:58 am

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, we have an appointment with the Registrar in dublin to get married. They told us we have to do an interview first before their appointment.

Is it policy that immigration do not give a temporary short term visa during the PR application? Or was this just in your case?

As you were in limbo with regard having no visa does that mean you were not allowed travel abroad as you had no visa to travel back to Ireland?

I did see an online process for PR too. Why were you not allowed apply on that? I mean 12 months is extremely long time.

Thanks for your help

StarKing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by StarKing » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 pm

Oh I see, so the Registrar Office is not related to the immigration, and the purpose of the interview is just to mitigate the risk of fake marriage, but the questions are pretty simple for a couple to Answer, they will talk to you both at first and then ask a few questions individually.

I went to the immigration along with my partner to apply for the visa, but then I was told by the attendant that I never updated my relationship status with the immigration (didn’t even know i had to let them know who I am dating) and I was “illegal” I would have to submit my application by post, even thou my address was updated in their system and I was already living with my partner for over a year. During my process I asked many times for a temporary visa and they refused, said I didn’t need one, not sure why or if it was just with me. I spent this one 1 year without visa, I have some friends who are married to European and their process was quicker and they were given temporary visas until the final decision. I think because I am married to and Irish they don’t have to answer to the EU on the freedom of movement (my deduction), and my partner had to send P60s, bank statements and psy slips to prove that he could support both of us.

I did travel abroad twice during that time, once to my home country which I went by myself, the officer at the airport asked why I was traveling alone and I explained the whole situation and showed him my marriage certificate with a copy of my partner’s passport, because I was in limbo I had an appointment booked within the next couple of days after my return, so he gave me a tourist visa LOL.

The next trip was 8 months after my application, we went to our honeymoon and it was no hassle to come back because we were traveling together. I applied in early May and only got my visa in March of the following year.

Not sure what PR stands for, but I followed the process I was told on the immigration office in dublin.

Johnnyjacobb
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Johnnyjacobb » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:41 pm

Thanks so much for your detailed response :)

Very kind :)